Do you take your stuff to the cleaners or iron it yourself?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CarllraC, Jul 26, 2006.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I iron Kiton, Borrelli & Finamore myself anything below that I send them to the cleaner. I hate ironing.

How would one press trousers one's self? Can you iron them with a cloth in between? Or is it really not possible?

I use Corby (sp?) pant press. I highly recommend it.

2. TomW

TomW Senior member

I'm also an iron-my-own-shirts kind of guy. I iron while slightly damp, in this order:

collar
    shoulders
    sleeves/cuffs
    left front
    back
    right front

I've also been known to iron my trousers from time to time, making sure to use a pressing cloth.

I'm with Vintage Gent. I absolutely launder and iron my own shirts - in exactly the same order. Takes about 5 minutes per shirt, if they're damp and you have a good heavy iron, slightly more if they are completely dry. Additionally, I iron my trousers, using a press cloth. Nothing goes to the laundry/cleaners unless it needs cleaning.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

How would one press trousers one's self? Can you iron them with a cloth in between? Or is it really not possible?

I just place an old ripped-up t-shirt on top of the pants. Works well and really only takes a minute.

Shirts on the other hand take me 10-12 minutes each.

4. stach

stach Senior member

Moms love showing how to do this kind of thing, or hire a maid for a day and they can teach you.

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I'm also an iron-my-own-shirts kind of guy. I iron while slightly damp, in this order: collar shoulders sleeves/cuffs left front back right front
    Interesting, in a small way; I iron them in exactly the opposite sequence. Takes me ten minutes or so per shirt. I have a shirt laundry service as a perk at work, so I use that. The price is roughly equivalent to $2 per shirt, but I'm afraid they use one of those blow-up things, where they place the shirt on a torso-sized doll, and "blow it up" with steam, and then iron the collars and cuffs and do finishing touches by hand. It's hell on the buttons, and probably wears much harder on the shirts than hand-ironing, so I've started holding back a few favourite shirts to be ironed by self. I'll occasionally iron a shirt myself, if I want to wear a particular one. Suits and dress trousers go to the cleaners. There used to be a shoeshine stand close to where I lived; an old retired postman who could make a mirror-finish in three minutes, at the cost of the equiv. of a dollar. He offered odd, but very interesting conversation, too. I miss him.

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Iron them damp.

I know this is actually accurate advice, but I hate it. I can wash 8 shirts at once. There is little chance I will notice when they get to the point of being 'slightly damp' and no chance that the others won't have dried completely by the time I work my way through them one at a time.

I do my own most of the time (with a spray bottle in hand) and once in a while just take them to the cleaners when I'm not feeling like doing them myself.

b

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I use Tide HE in a front loader on cold wash, delicate cycle for my dress shirts and iron when damp (after 20-30 minutes hanging). I use quality wide hangers.

I send trousers and suits to dry cleaners but very carefully, infrequently, and I use NYC sartorial-type cleaners as I can find them and afford them.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Interesting, in a small way; I iron them in exactly the opposite sequence. Takes me ten minutes or so per shirt.

I have a shirt laundry service as a perk at work, so I use that. The price is roughly equivalent to $2 per shirt, but I'm afraid they use one of those blow-up things, where they place the shirt on a torso-sized doll, and "blow it up" with steam, and then iron the collars and cuffs and do finishing touches by hand. It's hell on the buttons, and probably wears much harder on the shirts than hand-ironing, so I've started holding back a few favourite shirts to be ironed by self. I'll occasionally iron a shirt myself, if I want to wear a particular one.

Suits and dress trousers go to the cleaners.

There used to be a shoeshine stand close to where I lived; an old retired postman who could make a mirror-finish in three minutes, at the cost of the equiv. of a dollar. He offered odd, but very interesting conversation, too. I miss him.

Interesting, (there's a psychology study here somewhere.) I go in the exact order as Lucky Strike. Perhaps a connection to working with art and antiqities?[​IMG]

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Interesting, in a small way; I iron them in exactly the opposite sequence.

Are you a lefty?

10. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I'm with LuckyStrike. I start with the big stuff--start on one side and work my way around then do the details. A righty, for what it's worth, VG.

bob

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'm with LuckyStrike. I start with the big stuff--start on one side and work my way around then do the details.

I used to cover the major territory first, also, but I found the shirt body would often acquire new wrinkles while I tended to the sleeves, shoulder and collar.

12. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Are you a lefty?
    No, right-handed. No idea why I do it in that order, - I thought that was how my mother taught me to do it, but I saw her iron one a few weeks ago, and she does them in the exact opposite sequence, like you. Odd.

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

OK, here's a question for the DIYers here--I sometimes iron myself, sometimes send stuff out. But somehow, the shirts that go to the cleaners always seem to come back with a nice, "fresh" feeling. I'm tempted to call it a "limp" feeling, but that's not quite right. Supple, maybe. That's not an effect I can ever get myself. Does anyone know what I mean?

Or am I mistaken in thinking this is a good thing in the first place?

14. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Wow, you are fast. I hand iron all my shirts, and it takes me about 30-40 minutes per shirt.

15. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I iron Kiton, Borrelli & Finamore myself anything below that I send them to the cleaner. I hate ironing.

I use Corby (sp?) pant press. I highly recommend it.

Funny, the reason I started ironing was to protect my expensive RTW shirts. However, these days, I'm exclusively wearing cheap MTM (Jantzen, Chan), yet still iron by hand. Just fell into the habit, I suppose. I just hate they way the cleaners will press the collar, and I hate starch. When it comes down to it, I hate the cleaners more than I hate ironing.

VG,
    I subscribe to your reasoning, and I iron my shirts the same as you, except after the first three steps, I do the right, then back, the left. The cord of the iron sometimes causes wrinkles. (Though, I just realized, I wonder if you stand on the opposite side of the board).

It takes me about 10-15 minutes to iron a shirt. No need to strive for perfection - by the time I'm dressed, out of the house, and in and out of my car, the shirt is somewhat wrinkled anyway.

If only someone would teach me how to press trousers, I'd probably iron those myself too.

I think those that enjoy ironing are on crack; it's definitely a chore for me. However, I do enjoy the asthetics and the accompanying sense of accomplishment that comes with looking at a row of neatly pressed shirts hanging in my closet.