• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you take off your shoes in the home, upon entering?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
So how can the Japanese be so obsessed with shoes and yet not wear them indoors?

Also, a more serious question - isn't it weird to be all dressed up but not be wearing any shoes? Like say you go to a fancy cocktail party at a nice house where everybody is wearing a jacket and tie. And everyone is standing around in their socks sipping champagne? Thanks.

They're more obsessed with dirt (or lack thereof).

koji

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
The only cocktail parties I've attended here have been gallery openings, where shoes were kept on.
My wife is Japanese and we have a no-shoes policy in the house. We often entertain at home and, although we don't require guests to take off their shoes, nearly all of them do. Last time was an art opening party in our apartment and there were many guests we did not know. It may indeed be awkward for the first few minutes but it actually is a good ice-breaker for most people. For some strange reason I cannot explain, people tend to be friendlier and more easily approachable when they're walking around in socks with a glass of champagne in their hand...

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
Oh the joy of fetishists!

Hello GFM (its been so long since),

may I ask, if you have a Grey Flannel, fetish?

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I wouldn't say my love of grey flannel is a fetish, simply an appreciation for a wonderful fabric.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Can I link arms with the GFM here?

Good call, Sir.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to negotiate mud and slush, then I would indeed take my shoes off. This really isn't a common problem for me. If I am wearing good shoes, I will customarily remove them to put on some knockabout walking shoes before going out with my dog.

If I were in an Asian culture or an Asian household, I would respect their traditions. Being asked to remove my shoes in an Occidental household or setting would really rub me the wrong way.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
If I had to negotiate mud and slush, then I would indeed take my shoes off. This really isn't a common problem for me. If I am wearing good shoes, I will customarily remove them to put on some knockabout walking shoes before going out with my dog.

If I were in an Asian culture or an Asian household, I would respect their traditions. Being asked to remove my shoes in an Occidental household or setting would really rub me the wrong way.

You say occidental as if the occident were somehow uniform! You mean "white people where you live?" Because in Toronto, most definitely in the occident, only the most bratty of friends left their shoes on inside when I was growing up. After about age 8 though, I can't remember anybody I knew who left their shoes on inside, at their house or mine. It just wasn't done. I suppose it had something to do from getting in the habit in winter, but this was year-round. In Vancouver, same deal.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I remember the Shooman, and his shirtless in bed picture too--very disturbing.

Uh...WHAT??

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrenkin
You say occidental as if the occident were somehow uniform! You mean "white people where you live?" Because in Toronto, most definitely in the occident, only the most bratty of friends left their shoes on inside when I was growing up. After about age 8 though, I can't remember anybody I knew who left their shoes on inside, at their house or mine. It just wasn't done. I suppose it had something to do from getting in the habit in winter, but this was year-round. In Vancouver, same deal.

Same here in North Dakota...it's pretty standard to remove one's shoes upon entering any household. It's not universal, but it is standard.

Larry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Same here in North Dakota...it's pretty standard to remove one's shoes upon entering any household. It's not universal, but it is standard.

Just to provide a point of view from the English countryside...
I live in the North Cotswolds (God Bless Jilly Cooper for calling them the 'Haute' Cotswolds!) and it is very common around here to be received in different rooms depending on the weather when out visiting.
No shoes are removed or asked to be removed, but if you go calling in winter you can expect to sit at the Kitchen table (Nobody has carpets or rugs in a Kitchen). This gets around the problem of muddy shoes (etc) in the house.
This is expected and not remarked upon...
In fact to remark on it would single you out as 'not belonging'.

(The above applies to all classes.)

l.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh...WHAT??
I saw that photo, between some conversation of goths.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh...WHAT??
He posted, at Ask Andy, a badly scanned photograph of himself propped up in bed, shirtless, and looking rather like a Diane Arbus reject subject. He also confessed some unlikely things such as being possibly abused as a child and doing cocaine while ripping off his clothes at some concert.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, PLEASE say that wasn't lost! I have to go search for it!

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to go search for it!
Please, don't do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads