• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you strip new shoes before 1st shine?

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
I've searched and read numerous threads/posts on shining shoes, but didn't come across this being discussed...

When I take new shoes to the shine stand at Nordstrom's the lady there always lightly strips them with a dry cleaning fluid before conditioning them and giving them their first shine.

I'm wanting to take over shining my own shoes; is this a step I want to mimic when I shine shoes for the first time? If not, should I ask her to skip it if I take new shoes back to her?

Does the recommendation vary by shoe maker, or is it pretty universal?

I did order some dry cleaning fluid on my big order from www.shoeshinekit.com

thanks for your input,
/richard

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
there is no need to strip a brand new pair of shoes before applying first polish.
the stripping is to get rid of old multiple layers of polish that does not shine well anymore but just drags around murkily.

whatever she is doing it may either be leather conditioner application, which is fine to do, but unnecessary,
or
she is actually trying to strip the shoes then i dont think she knows what she is doing.

i find out that the lady at the shoe shine section in nordstrom does a very awful and messy job many a times just by observing her.
not to boast but matter of factly,
i can do a much quicker , cleaner, and more beautiful job then her. as for many of the forumites here can do as well better than her i can attest to that.

i wouldnt take it to her anymore.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Dry cleaning fluid? Ack! Please don't do that to new shoes. They should have just a light coat of polish - or may even have none - so why do damage to your shoes?.

I have found it best to sit back and watch an unknown shine stand go through a couple of customers to see if they know what they are doing and how good the overall shine turns out.

Anecdotally, Nordstrom shine stands run the gamut. There is a guy in the Paramus NJ location who always gave me mirror shines - really fantastic, detailed work. Others slap on some polish, brush the shoes a bit, and they are done.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah...Diorshoe and NukeMeSlowly have it right. Don't strip 'em! There's absolutely no need. And just what chemical is dry cleaning fluid? Carbon tet? Jeez, don't go near your shoes with that. In my opinion, the strongest stuff that should be used on shoes is rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol), which can even be diluted further.

Just apply leather conditioner if you're concerned about the leather being dried out a little, and then proceed through the usual steps with cream and, lastly, wax polish. Probably all that's needed with a new pair of shoes is a light cream application, followed by a little wax polish--or even just the polish.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Nobody touches my boots with polish except me. I get chills just thinking about someone else attempting to polish my boots.

When I polish my boots I use cream conditioner and cream polish only.

I would think fine leather and chemical solvents is not a good combination.

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
Nobody touches my boots with polish except me. I get chills just thinking about someone else attempting to polish my boots.

When I polish my boots I use cream conditioner and cream polish only.

I would think fine leather and chemical solvents is not a good combination.

Me too! I don't even let my cobbler polish my shoes. I have a certain way that I have been doing it for 20 years.

By the way, back to the original post, don't strip it first. Don't use any harsh chemicals. Don't do any experimentation on anything but shoes you don't care for.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The 'dry cleaning fluid' is probably the stuff that Lincoln sells. All it does is strip the polish that's on the shoe. It won't remove or damage the original finish.

Personally, with a new pair of shoes whose color I don't intend on changing, I will apply cream polish, let it dry a while, buff it off, then start with wax polishing. If I got a pair on which the polish looked bad to begin with (it happens, who knows how they do it at some factories) I would strip them with the Lincoln Dry Cleaner, rubbing alcohol, or acetone, depending on how brutal I was feeling that day.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMy evaluation would depend upon what the finish was originally on the shoes. If they were corrected grain, the stripper would be a good thing. Strip several times would be better.

For all other circumstances, I would not strip. I would apply Lexol and wait a day or two. Maybe Lexol again. Also treating the soles.

Then use Meltonian cream for the polish. Chose a couple of colors to begin the process of aging. Most colors will benefit from some black and burgandy added tothe toe area.

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The 'dry cleaning fluid' is probably the stuff that Lincoln sells. All it does is strip the polish that's on the shoe. It won't remove or damage the original finish.

Yes, that is indeed what is being used, so I'm glad to hear that the single application isn't doing any real harm. No corrected grain -- my last several pair of Alden calfskin, so I was getting pretty nervous reading the earlier replies.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and I'm pretty well set with Lexol, brushes, polishing cloths and a selection of waxes, but I could stand to pick up a variety of cream colors.

thanks again,
/richard

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I get a new pair of shoes, I've taken to applying a generous dose of leather conditioner--either lexol or the creamier AE-branded stuff. Sometimes, I may do it twice before polishing or wearing.

Here's my thinking. Shoes have been in their boxes for lord knows how long. This, btw, is all the more true for closeouts, sale items, etc. There's a good chance they're pretty dry. Most people here polish their shoes at least once a month, if not more frequently. Those new shoes have almost certianly been sitting around longer than that without conditioner, etc. So why not treat them to some love before putting those first creases in them?

Discuss.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Goldstein
Me too! I don't even let my cobbler polish my shoes.

What exactly do you say to your cobbler? I have found that the phrases...

"Please don't polish these."
"Please don't touch the uppers."
"Please! No wax, no cream, no conditioner. Nothing!"...

... are all completely incomprehensible to any shoe repairman. Particularly when the shoes are shell cordovan. They can't keep their hands off them. WHAT do you say?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads