• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you still use personal checks?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use checks for rent, taxes, and other government fees (license tabs, renewals etc), and nothing else.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I use checks for rent and taxes, that's about it. As far as cash goes, I only carry a few bucks (just enough to give to any homeless that I see, I don't actually buy stuff with it).

B1FF

Reaction score
Rent and transactions that would normally be cash but I prefer a paper trail.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Most contractors (for home repair, etc.) still take checks. Just wrote one the other day to have a few locks replaced at my condo.

I'd rather write a check in that limited instance than give out my credit card number.

Edit: I use on-line bill pay and credit cards in almost every other circumstance other than the above. I still carry quite a bit of cash because I don't own a car and need to take a cab sometimes.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I get pissed any time I get stuck behind someone at the grocery store writing a check (seems to happen here far more frequently than anywhere else I've lived). I have to resist yelling, "Isn't there a f&$%ing debit card in your wallet?!?"

For years, Dear Abby has suggested that people writing checks should fill them out while their groceries are being scanned and then ink in the dollar amount at the end. That saves a lot of time with it, and a lot of stores have a check printer thing where you just have to sign it and it'll fill the rest of the check out for you. I don't begrudge people checks in the line since it's often adorable old ladies, but I'd appreciate efficiency.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no other way of paying for my home owner association dues without a check every month. They tell people to not mail them cash, and they have no way to pay by credit card. Other than bills I never use checks.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checks are not obsolete.

For example, you can't buy a house with a credit card (well, you actually could, if the limit is high enough)

I write checks for:
-lawn service people
-garbage disposal
-church tithe

these just off the top of my head now.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I write checks for:
-garbage disposal

And it says, "Thanks for the payment."

garbage-disposer.jpg

rimshot.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use them for bills only including taxes and for transferring money sometimes.

My mom & dad are old school and only use checks or cash for everything. I've tried to get them to use the Debit card and to get their FIRST credit card but it is tough. Any time she wants to buy something online she calls me and I end having to buy it for her because she won't buy anything online either.

During Christmas I went to a store with her and she purchased an item and paid with a check. A line formed behind us as the process seemingly took more than 10 minutes. They had to open 2 more registers around us because the line was nearly 20 deep.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate checks! Here's what I do: pay for whatever will accept a credit card, so I can earn points. Then, at the end of every month, I pay my CCs from my bank account, electronically. It's the funneling method, as I see it.

I always carry a little cash with me, for little knick knacks like coffee, lunch, etc. that are under $10. More than that, Amex, baby.

The only thing that I use a check for regularly is my rent. My share of the rent fluctuates monthly because have to settle some utility accounts with my roommate. Otherwise, I'd set up a recurring payment from my bank to my landlord.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I get pissed any time I get stuck behind someone at the grocery store writing a check (seems to happen here far more frequently than anywhere else I've lived). I have to resist yelling, "Isn't there a f&$%ing debit card in your wallet?!?"

I get pissed any time I'm stuck behind someone who doesn't know their pin, isn't sure of whether they want debit or credit, is incapable of swiping, forgets to sign or acknowledge the charge, etc. Happens far more often than I'm even behind someone writing a check. I have no debit card.

~ Huntsman

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can choose credit when using a debit card so you don't have to use your pin.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a need to know, since I don't have that problem -- tell all the people who keep screwing it up!

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually just wrote one for a friend who is picking up baseball tickets tomorrow.

Mr T

Reaction score
I have a credit card but it rarely sees the light of day and I am thinking of canceling it soon. I used to have more but slowly rid myself of them and have had zero loss in credit score despite what the Visa mafia would have us believe. Some believe credit cards provide convenience but what is more convenient than not getting another bill at month's end?

I use checks for bills and pay cash for everything else. Most of my clothing purchases are in person or through e-vendors who take checks. I like the nostalgia of checks and take a long time at checkouts when writing them. It must take me 5 minutes to finish if you include uncapping my pen and blowing on the ink for 60 seconds. The more impatient those behind me the longer I take.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads