• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you still use personal checks?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see fewer people writing personal checks at grocery stores or when shopping. I take a check book and write a check when I shop. I pay most bills by writing a check and mailing, except CC. I pay them online. Have been in a few stores that will not accept checks from anyone.

Am I behind the times. Should I start paying everything online or with CC. I know 2 people who carry no cash, ever. Everything goes on a CC. What's the deal?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 20 and have never written a cheque.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes when I pay bills. Never to go shopping, I use the platinum debit card for that one.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've probably written less than 10 checks in my life. They are becoming obsolete pretty quickly.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I remember getting my first checking account about 10 years ago and ordering one of those check box sets (mine was a 5 check tribute to Elvis. Not that I'm a big fan of his, but hell, it's Elvis. On a check). Out of the 5 books it came with, I've only used about 7 checks or so during the past 10 years. Totally obsolete.

jkennett

Reaction score
Checks are definitely being phased out. Banks now scan a digital image of your check and destroy the check upon receiving it. It makes much more sense to just use a debit card as it performs the same function.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So what is everyone using? Debit card, credit card, money order, online bill pay?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I write checks for payments I can't make online or over the phone.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time I use checks is to pay rent and bills.

The rest of the time, I use either a debit card or a credit card, though I have a somewhat irrational hatred of the credit card.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
So what is everyone using? Debit card, credit card, money order, online bill pay?
Almost exclusively debit card. I also have my bank accounts registered online, and track all purchases through that.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a few e-bay sellers don't take electronic payment, and I find myself writing cheques for small amounts for e-bay purchases fairly regularly.
I always pay by cheque for paying for the deposit and initial rent for a new house too.
Its still preferable to me to use cheque rather than cash for handing over amounts of more than £50 to individuals not set up for credit card or debit card payments as I don't like carrying cash.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use checks for rent and bills, credit card or cash for everything else. I have a debit card, but dislike using those.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I put almost everything on a cash-back credit card, and have been getting back around $500 through it a year. I'll probably switch to an air miles card next year though. I do not use my debit cards, as there are many more security issues with that. Edit: To add, checks are still used quite a bit in the business world.

scfdefinit

Reaction score
I've only used a check to pay tuition/parking fees/etc. because the registrar at my university only accepts cash or check. I'm certainly not one to carry around $700 to pay for university fees.

Other than that my debit card works quite nicely when I'm out shopping or buying things online.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I remember getting my first checking account about 10 years ago and ordering one of those check box sets (mine was a 5 check tribute to Elvis. Not that I'm a big fan of his, but hell, it's Elvis. On a check). Out of the 5 books it came with, I've only used about 7 checks or so during the past 10 years. Totally obsolete.

That's actually the best.

I use checks a little bit. My brother and I split costs on things like birthday gifts for the parents and buying ammo when we go shotgun shooting. Neither of us carries cash, so it's easier to cut a check, write something embarassing on the memo line and settle debts up that way. Outside of that, I rarely use them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads