• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you spend more on brown shoes than black ones?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, though the elegance of the last is the most important factor in the attractiveness of a shoe, and elegant lasts are rare among less expensive brands...

marc37

Reaction score
l spend more money on brown shoes because quality brown shoes have more character than black.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what A. Harris means by "elegant last." If he means pleasing to the eye, I think there are a lot of elegant (though not "super elegant") lasts out there in the $300 range -- meaning that you could get such a shoe for $150 and under. The Polo Brawley captoe -- which I currently have on my feet -- is one example of a fairly elegant looking shoe. It isn't a Lattanzi, or a Vass U-last (WHY OH WHY DID I TRY THAT THING ON..), but it's very nice looking. If he means that the last is better constructed to the foot -- i.e. better fitting and more comfortable -- then he is right.

But in terms of brown color, my experience is right in line with that of the others -- you get bigger attractiveness gains with better brown leather. In other words, the difference in attractiveness of the leather between my black Brawley and my black Edward Greens is may 30%. But the difference in attractiveness between the brown Brawleys (which I do not have) and a brown Edward Green is at least 100%. But, again, these numbers take only into account superficial appearance, not the feel of the leather on your foot or anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads