Do you size down when you buy button front shirts for casual use?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Achilles_, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I usually wear a size 17-35 (size 43). However, if I'm not going to be wearing a tie/leaving one button undone, and I have problems finding shirts slim enough, should I get a 16.5-35?

I should probably just order MTM but I feel like it's a crapshoot on fabric quality.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Why would you change your shirt size whem wearing casually?

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Why would you change your shirt size whem wearing casually?

Hoping to get a better fit.

4. Sentinel

Sentinel Active Member

I just go with MTM and the shirts fit regardless of ties. It might be an idea to order from a few different places and see how you like the results.

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Oh I see what you mean, because of the top button of the collar?

I size it slim and worry about the top button later. It's uncomfortable at first but I forget about it in about 30 seconds.

6. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

Well I guess you could ... but is it really that bad? I mean I can't imagine that you cannot find casual shirts which are not slim enough.. What brands are we talking about?

7. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I dont think I would ever buy a new shirt that I couldnt button up even for casual use. I do tend to find a lot of really nice shirts at the various thrift stores I go to with sleeves that are slightly too short or collars that wont button up. I still pick them up and wear them casually. Its different if your spending $4 on a shirt vs $50 and up I think.

I still dont understand how you arent able to find any shirts that are slim fitting and can still button up to the top though. They are fairly easy to find these days.

8. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

Not at first, but I've started doing it now with good results. My neck size is 15.5 which matches to a 39 for shirts, but for suits I'm between a 36-38 depending on the brand and fit so pretty much every shirt is baggy on me. So many shirts fit too baggy to start even when they're "slim fit", not to mention these "slim fit" shirts tend to not be as steeply discounted. Picking up a shirt a size or so smaller has been an nice alternative that saves me money on alterations. Just make sure the rest of the shirt still fits in important places and you're set! (example, Canali shirts tend to fit me pretty snug in the cuffs, so sizing down might not work as well with them unless I move the button)

Jared,

9. pbandjay

pbandjay Well-Known Member

If you buy POLO RL shirts (with the colored pony), they come in Custom and Classic Fit. You might try Custom Fit for your slim purposes and classic for your everyday.

I usually wear a size 17-35 (size 43). However, if I'm not going to be wearing a tie/leaving one button undone, and I have problems finding shirts slim enough, should I get a 16.5-35?

I should probably just order MTM but I feel like it's a crapshoot on fabric quality.

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Darts are a cheap and easy slimming option, as well.

11. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I do MTM or bespoke for all my shirts. There is more than enough reviews on this board to help you find a maker that has good fabrics and can give you the fit you want. Once you start to use those services then RTW will never do the job again unless yuo have a body they fit well, which I do not.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thank you guys for the replies!

I do MTM or bespoke for all my shirts. There is more than enough reviews on this board to help you find a maker that has good fabrics and can give you the fit you want. Once you start to use those services then RTW will never do the job again unless yuo have a body they fit well, which I do not.

Who would you recommend? I'm very tempted by Thomas Mason silver, but its a bit pricey.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Darts are a cheap and easy slimming option, as well.

Srsly? I always thought one's SF post count was reduced by 25 posts for each mention of using darts for slimming a shirt.