• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you see a difference if an item is marked as "unisex" vs "mens"?

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
Guilty as charged.
But I think that would be true of most men--maybe even 90% of men. So I guess the question is whether the OP is trying to market to men who are on trend in this regard (which will necessarily limit their target audience) or to all men.
I guess the other question is why even call your clothes "unisex" when marketing to men? Do the advantages of calling your jackets unisex outweigh the potential disadvantages?

We're marketing to both, not only men. I just wanted to know if people's perception of "unisex" meant it had a different fit. If you look at the jackets, it might make more sense

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're marketing to both, not only men. I just wanted to know if people's perception of "unisex" meant it had a different fit. If you look at the jackets, it might make more sense

Let me know what you think!!

I see a rendering. I don’t see the jacket. Good luck...seriously. I just don’t know who your customer will be.

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
Most clothing isn't marketed at most people, it's aimed at a specific target market. Dries Van Noten, Rick Owens, Huntsman, and even The Gap aren't targeting 90% of the population. They're aimed at a very specific demographic.

If the OP has a clear idea of the company's target market, I think unisex clothing can be fine. There's a growing interest, mostly among people who are interested in fashion, for unisex and genderless clothing. Some lines have the same styles, but in different patterns for men's and women's builds (e.g. Chimala, Studio Nicholson, Nigel Cabourn, and to some degree Lemaire). Others have a full line that can be worn by men or women (e.g. Rosen).

This blurring between men's and women's lines is one of the most common themes in fashion writing. It often comes in the NYT

I completely agree and this really solidifies what I was looking for!!
Our jackets are targeting a specific niche, so we don't really focus on the word "unisex". It's really the culture and type of people who love the customize the back of their denim jackets. As many protestors, musicians, bikers, did back in the 80s/90s. It was originally unisex when it was first invented in 1880, and I just think it works best with this fit.

These are the jackets we're planning to launch if you're curious. And thank you so much for your feedback so far it's really been useful for us!! I have more to check out from your other posts as well

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I completely agree and this really solidifies what I was looking for!!
Our jackets are targeting a specific niche, so we don't really focus on the word "unisex". It's really the culture and type of people who love the customize the back of their denim jackets. As many protestors, musicians, bikers, did back in the 80s/90s. It was originally unisex when it was first invented in 1880, and I just think it works best with this fit.

Recommend deleting this link, as you will get dinged by the mods for posting your own company here without paying affiliate fees.

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
Recommend deleting this link, as you will get dinged by the mods for posting your own company here without paying affiliate fees.

oh no I didn't know that, thanks. could I replace it with a photo instead? Or is that also not allowed?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
oh no I didn't know that, thanks. could I replace it with a photo instead? Or is that also not allowed?

A photo is fine. I would also remove the link in your other post.

StyleForum is made up of various groups. The forum is split between "classic menswear" and "streetwear and denim." Broadly speaking "classic menswear" is stuff like suits and the casualwear you find at Brooks Brothers. Streetwear and Denim is a more diverse group of users, but more orientated around designer clothing, workwear, certain Japanese labels, etc.

You're in the "Style Advice" thread, which is mostly populated by guys from "Classic Menswear." That means an older, more conservative crowd. I don't think either side of the forum is your target market, so you'll want to find a forum more amendable to your designs. But if you're just asking about gender marketing, that's a broad enough discussion that can be had on any forum focused on fashion/ clothing.

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
A photo is fine. I would also remove the link in your other post.

StyleForum is made up of various groups. The forum is split between "classic menswear" and "streetwear and denim." Broadly speaking "classic menswear" is stuff like suits and the casualwear you find at Brooks Brothers. Streetwear and Denim is a more diverse group of users, but more orientated around designer clothing, workwear, certain Japanese labels, etc.

You're in the "Style Advice" thread, which is mostly populated by guys from "Classic Menswear." That means an older, more conservative crowd. I don't think either side of the forum is your target market, so you'll want to find a forum more amendable to your designs. But if you're just asking about gender marketing, that's a broad enough discussion that can be had on any forum focused on fashion/ clothing.

I tried removing it but it's already been quoted so that I can't take off. I was genuinely wondering about fit but realized after seeing the posts that the demographic was very different than I was expecting. I'll definitely do some hunting elsewhere. thanks for the advice!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a neat idea. Good luck. I personally think that the product speaks for itself.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa! I'm only 34 and I post in advice a lot!

Is it good advice probably not.

Also - I do operations for a white label denim company. We do a lot of boyfriend and there has been a growing push over last half decade in these unisex looks for sure.

I will say from a pattern making perspective in denim - I don't think unisex is always male friendly for many male body shapes. This is less of a problem with jackets meant to be worn open as stated above.

Ramon Lopez

Reaction score
Most clothing isn't marketed at most people, it's aimed at a specific target market. Dries Van Noten, Rick Owens, Huntsman, and even The Gap aren't targeting 90% of the population. They're aimed at a very specific demographic.

If the OP has a clear idea of the company's target market, I think unisex clothing can be fine. There's a growing interest, mostly among people who are interested in fashion, for unisex and genderless clothing. Some lines have the same styles, but in different patterns for men's and women's builds (e.g. Chimala, Studio Nicholson, Nigel Cabourn, and to some degree Lemaire). Others have a full line that can be worn by men or women (e.g. Rosen).

This blurring between men's and women's lines is one of the most common themes in fashion writing. It often comes in the NYT

Recently, I have been very interested in the issue of gender, gender equality and the like. If you click over here, you can find very well written essays on the topic of gender. I was especially interested in the essay on Carmilla Le Fana and Victorian ideas about gender and sexuality. The British Victorian era was marked by the world's first industrial revolution, and with it massive political reforms and social change. With these social changes came new Victorian ideas, one of the most notable being the role of Victorian women.
I absolutely agree with you. very deep thoughts that respond within me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads