• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you see a difference if an item is marked as "unisex" vs "mens"?

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
I'm planning to launch a unisex denim jacket and was wondering if people think sizing / cut and sew would be different depending on how it's presented.
Generally, unisex caters towards men's sizing but women can also wear it. Would you buy a men's jacket over a unisex jacket? Or does it not matter?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure many women would be interested in a jacket that’s cut unisex. Just my observation.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have much experience with pattern making for women's versus men's clothing? I don't, but it seems readily apparent that a woman's jacket is often cut quite differently from a man's jacket. For example, women's jackets tend to be cut shorter in the body, and there are darts in the chest to accommodate a woman's bust. Front buttoning is usually different. I'm sure there are more differences than I'm aware of.

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
Do you have much experience with pattern making for women's versus men's clothing? I don't, but it seems readily apparent that a woman's jacket is often cut quite differently from a man's jacket. For example, women's jackets tend to be cut shorter in the body, and there are darts in the chest to accommodate a woman's bust. Front buttoning is usually different. I'm sure there are more differences than I'm aware of.

we've been working on the fit for 2 years now. thanks for your feedback! it's more of a relaxed fit rather than a fitted type of jacket. also, denim jackets typically don't have darts because the fabric is really thick and was originally a unisex garment.

I was actually wondering if it affected men's perception of the fit by using "unisex" over "men's".

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on how the jackets will be marketed. Honestly I tend not to look closely at garments that are billed as 'unisex', not because there is anything inherently wrong with the concept but I think I have been conditioned to think that they won't fit as well as clothing designed for men.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t affect my perception of fit as fit is fit. I just don’t understand the concept I guess.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unisex is one of the bigger trends in womenswear right now.

I think it would be easier if you just provided measurements and gave sizing advice on the site. So say, "women size up, men take your regular size." Etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One more thing:

The biggest and most obvious gender marker for clothing is the way a coat fastened. Men's clothing fastens to the left; women to the right. If you make unisex clothing, it will be easier to sell this stuff if you design the coats for men, but then market it as unisex. Men are generally much more gender sensitive than women, and less willing to wear women's clothing. Some will know this buttoning thing, so they'll avoid it.

Some coats are also easier to cut for unisex styles. The chore coat, for example. If you're making denim chore coat, it will be a much easier sell if you make it as a men's garment and sell it as unisex. Lots of womenswear lines nowadays are basically unisex -- Chimala, parts of Isabel Marant, Studio Nicholson, etc.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buttoning is one point, but for a denim jacket, length is going to be an issue. Women's jackets are shorter than men's. So, a jacket that fits both a man & woman in the chest is likely going to be longer on the woman than what she's used to or shorter on a man than he's used to. For a standard jacket this is important since it's as much a fashion statement as practical. As the other poster mentioned, a chore coat concept is much more likely to be a non-issue - but then, it's also a smaller market. And, denim isn't usually a material I would associate with that purpose of coat - more luck a duck fabric (carhartt). Even then, I would be interested if sleeve length were different even if body length could be the same.

Beyond practical aspects, I believe commercially the concept of unisex carries a connotation of "cheap" - a $20 product that's unisex might be fine, but more expensive and you'll lose customers for that reason.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain brands carry what they call a “boyfriend” style. Like Boyfriend jean, boyfriend shirt, etc. these are typically cut a bit roomier and modeled by hot, young 20 something women who otherwise look as though they are annoyed at having to show up for the photo shoot.

Even then, the styling is better suited for the feminine form. Labeling something unisex is fine. But then it’s neither fish nor fowl. Men and women seek different things from the clothes they wear.

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
It depends on how the jackets will be marketed. Honestly I tend not to look closely at garments that are billed as 'unisex', not because there is anything inherently wrong with the concept but I think I have been conditioned to think that they won't fit as well as clothing designed for men.

I see your point of view, I wonder if other people feel the same way. so would a comprehensible size chart / fit guide ease your worry ?

mangoyogurt

Reaction score
Unisex is one of the bigger trends in womenswear right now.

I think it would be easier if you just provided measurements and gave sizing advice on the site. So say, "women size up, men take your regular size." Etc.
yup, that's exactly what we're doing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads