• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you scoff at non-bespoke expensive clothes?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying on this very nice overcoat at the McQueen boutique. Everything fits fine except for the sleeves, which is about 2 inches long. So I took it off, and as soon as I see the price tag, I scoffed at it. For the $, I'd treat myself to some English bespoke TK.
laugh.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was out shopping for several hours this past Thursday. Despute being in multiple high-end stores and trying on various garments, I wasn't the least bit tempted to buy anything for myself.

Something nice about that.
smile.gif
Does bespoke actually save us money in the long-run?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To a degree, yes I do. However, that said ... several of my favorite pieces of tailored clothing are OTR.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something that should be factored into the true cost of bespoke is (your) time, risk of errors, and travel expenses.

However, you are right to say that many high end items sold at retail level have prices I would scoff at too and to add further insult, requiring some form of alteration.

mickey711

Reaction score
If the bespoke tragedies thread is any indication, bespeaking clothing is in no way a guarantee of the end result being good or even wearable. And I doubt you'd be able to find a tailor who could accurately replicate the details typically found in McQueen clothing.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
If the bespoke tragedies thread is any indication, bespeaking clothing is in no way a guarantee of the end result being good or even wearable. And I doubt you'd be able to find a tailor who could accurately replicate the details typically found in McQueen clothing.

I'm anot familiar with AMQ's clothing - what are these special details?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt you'd be able to find a tailor who could accurately replicate the details typically found in McQueen clothing.
Surely you jest. If not, I doubt you are a customer of bespoke clothing.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
risk of errors
In my experience ... the risk of error is less than one might think.

artoftime

Reaction score
Bespeaking strikes me as a relinquishing of the pervasive frame of mind of those that posses the wherewithal to "have it now".
Most are either too impatient, do not have the appreciation for the craft, or are simply brand whores that need such recognition.
There are many on this very forum who could own 2-3 bespoke suits rather than 15-20 RTW.

mickey711

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm anot familiar with AMQ's clothing - what are these special details?
It varies depending from season to season, as AMQ is one of the most avant-garde labels out there. This fabric, for instance, is most assuredly not available at H. Lesser:
4355673435_4596fa1a0b_o.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It varies depending from season to season, as AMQ is one of the most avant-garde labels out there.
This fabric, for instance, is most assuredly not available at H. Lesser:

And for good reason.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It varies depending from season to season, as AMQ is one of the most avant-garde labels out there.
This fabric, for instance, is most assuredly not available at H. Lesser:

my eyes!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After bespeaking hundreds of pieces ... I'll push the limits of propriety ... but I'm not about to make a trip to Never-never Land. Good God that is sartorial insanity.

djibouti

Reaction score
This thread makes me
baldy[1].gif
, but I agree with mickey.

Price is about the only thing in common between shopping for McQueen and on Savile Row.

With McQueen you're paying for the vision and specificity of an experimental designer.

The last time I was in the boutique, there was a long coat made out of hair-on pony skin which was then laser cut to look like lace. It's not something I would ever wear, but as an object it was absolutely incredible.

It's not possible or worth the incredible effort to "bespeak" an article of clothing like this. This is why we have high-end designers. Obviously there's a level of absurdity when you compare the pics above to what is normally seen here, but that's part of what makes McQueen exciting.

If you want a well-fitting suit, get bespoke if you can afford it and have the time.

If you want something else, get it.

Also, your gripes about sleeve length on OTR clothing makes me think this is just a troll anyways. These kinds of basic alterations for OTR clothing are minuscule in time, effort, and cost compared to a fully bespoke suit. Many places give them for free.

Clueless "scoffing" is the absolute worst.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads