• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you rotate cologue?

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I recently purchased Creed Green Irish Tweed (GIT) which I occasionally let my daughter share. The stuff is expensive, and I could see going through it in a year. I was thinking that rather than buying a bottle of it once a year, maybe it makes more sense to purchase several cologues and rotate them. The original santal and original vitiver would probably be my choice, but maybe they are a little similar to GIT? Do you guys rotate cologue? Does it really matter to you if usually wearing the same one? For many years I never wore any and I can't really say that I really appreciate the difference between scents. The Creed cologues are expensive, and I realize they do have a shelf life.

I'm asking you guys instead of basenotes because asking them how many cologues one should have is about as useful as asking you guys how many sports coats one should have.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I rotate a bunch. Depends on season, mood, and my outfit. My current top 10 for fall/winter/all year :

Hermes Vert D'Orange
Creed GIT
Creed Neroli Sauvage
Creed Orange Spice
Chanel Sycomore (Exclusif range)
Creed Bois Cedrat
Creed Original Santal
Creed Royal Delight
Creed Lavender
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

---summertime these get rotated in----

Creed Virgin Island Water
Acqua di Parma
Acqua di Gio (oldie but goodie)
Penhaligon's Lavender

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cologue? I wear GIT in the warmer months, something woodsier in the cooler months (just got a split of Bois du Portugal from Rambo here), and something different for some evenings out (currently AbdesSalam Attar's Grezzo).

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rotate my tires, but not my cologne -- Cerutti 1881.

Raralith

Reaction score
Spoo, I'm looking to add a cologue to my rotation. Do you mind ranking these three that you use for summer weather (I'm in Southern California)? Hermes Vert D'Orange, Acqua di Gio, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I rotate, but mostly depending on day, occasion and outfit, rather than season.

Daily use: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Weekends/evenings: Ralph Lauren Safari for men
Anytime (but mostly evenings): Penhaligon's English Fern

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raralith
Spoo, I'm looking to add a cologue to my rotation. Do you mind ranking these three that you use for summer weather (I'm in Southern California)? Hermes Vert D'Orange, Acqua di Gio, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather?

Hi Raralith,

I realize I'm not Spoo (given his wardrobe and sense of style, I do sometimes wish I was), but I do own all three of those colognes and I hail from a place of eternal summer.

Hermes Vert D'Orange is probably the most classic citrus of the lot. It is, like its name, a crisp orange scent with a lot of leafy green smell to it. It dries down to a fairly pleasant musk and is definitely a classic choice for the summer. It has a pleasant daytime vibe to it (citrus scents tend towards that).

Acqua di Gio is a more synthetic (not necessarily bad) scent with a slug of lighter florals and fruit. It is probably more "modern", but definitely works for summer. It is a tad common, and mental associations in my mind do link it to the younger "clubbing" crowd. Your mental associations might vary.

Tuscan Leather smells... like leather. A sort of hefty powdery car interior leather. It can smell a bit too rich in the summer, particularly as the chemicals are more volatile and thus evaporate faster in the heat. Spray it sparingly at most in the summer. It is luxurious and plush, but quite heavy.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
I recently purchased Creed Green Irish Tweed (GIT) which I occasionally let my daughter share. The stuff is expensive, and I could see going through it in a year. I was thinking that rather than buying a bottle of it once a year, maybe it makes more sense to purchase several cologues and rotate them. The original santal and original vitiver would probably be my choice, but maybe they are a little similar to GIT? Do you guys rotate cologue? Does it really matter to you if usually wearing the same one? For many years I never wore any and I can't really say that I really appreciate the difference between scents. The Creed cologues are expensive, and I realize they do have a shelf life.

I'm asking you guys instead of basenotes because asking them how many cologues one should have is about as useful as asking you guys how many sports coats one should have.

Do you mean COLOGNE?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer

Hermes Vert D'Orange is probably the most classic citrus of the lot. It is, like its name, a crisp orange scent with a lot of leafy green smell to it. It dries down to a fairly pleasant musk and is definitely a classic choice for the summer. It has a pleasant daytime vibe to it (citrus scents tend towards that).

Acqua di Gio is a more synthetic (not necessarily bad) scent with a slug of lighter florals and fruit. It is probably more "modern", but definitely works for summer. It is a tad common, and mental associations in my mind do link it to the younger "clubbing" crowd. Your mental associations might vary.

Tuscan Leather smells... like leather. A sort of hefty powdery car interior leather. It can smell a bit too rich in the summer, particularly as the chemicals are more volatile and thus evaporate faster in the heat. Spray it sparingly at most in the summer. It is luxurious and plush, but quite heavy.

Much better put than I ever could. 100% agree.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I rotate my tires, but not my cologne -- Cerutti 1881.

+1. As with my tires, I only have one brand of cologne.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a forum full of guys with tons of shoes, exotic ties and suits, and socks of every color in the rainbow... you have some pretty dull and "safe" fragrance choices.

Get out there and get past the Creed "hype." There are some REALLY superb parfumeries out there now doing some amazing stuff... check out luckyscent, aedes, and even some of the fragrance threads we've got going in the Body Consciousness forum.

Believe it or not, Creed GIT may just NOT be the end-all/be-all of fragrances (in fact, I can guarantee it isn't.)

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have multiples colognes. Some are for winter and some for summer. I do not like to wear the same thing each day. I buy bottles and split them, so that I do not have too many bottles sitting for long periods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads