1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you roll up your cuffs or hem 'em?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by billiebob, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Cuffed jeans are a great look- I cant believe all this hate! Totally classic. Nothing looks better with a pair of Converse. I roll, not hem.

2. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

My SD103's are slightly to long, I bunch at the bottom. They're stiff enough that they don't touch the ground (yet). I'll cuff em or just turn up the back a bit if they start dragging.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I personally do NOT believe cuffing is the sartorial equivalent of leaving a button or two undone at the end of your bespoke jacket with handsewn button holes. At least, not yet. Fifteen years ago the unbuttoned bottom button wasn't bad either.

That said, I don't cuff my jeans. For the simple reason that generally I'm too tall and there's no excess material to cuff.

One exception is with my 'Canes. They look better with about 1" of cuff (all I can afford given the length) because otherwise given their somewhat pegged leg, my height, and my relatively thick thighs, they look way too tapered, and the cuff creates some thickness/weight down there.

4. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I wasn't really debating cuff vs no cuff since I can see the merits of cuffs. I have seen nice looking cuffs. BTW, I am referring to manually rolling them. Anyway, I was looking for pictorials so I can see some ideas. Like some people roll in, some roll out (so you see underneath). I saw one girl at the market and I kept staring at her cuffs because it looked like she rolled them out but at the end, flipped them. Hard to explain ...

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

It's far from being as tacky as unbuttoning your sleeves cuffs.

What? In what way is that tacky in the least?

EDIT: Nevermind, thought you meant shirt cuffs.

6. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

Nope. Doesn't move at all. [​IMG] A less stiff denim probably would, though.

True, although I had a denim freak in a store lunge at my cuff and turn it up to see if they were selvage.

Man that has happened to me before also. I felt violated and dirty afterwords.

praise the lord. It's funny though because I once cuffed my jeans so that I could sit with my feet in the kiddie pool.

7. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Usually, the more casual, the more I cuff.

Thread Hijack:

I just got a pair of Kicking Mule raw 1950s from Mauro and they are long. I started cuffing them (and I have worn them quite a bit in the last 2 weeks)

I noticed they have a crease in the cuff and the crease kinda wants to stay there. Will I get a permanent line there if I let them go?

I planned on not washing them for the 6 months but should I move the crease around as to not get a solid crease line on the bottom of my jeans?

8. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

i cuff. like this.[​IMG]

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Thread Hijack:

I just got a pair of Kicking Mule raw 1950s from Mauro and they are long. I started cuffing them (and I have worn them quite a bit in the last 2 weeks)

I noticed they have a crease in the cuff and the crease kinda wants to stay there. Will I get a permanent line there if I let them go?

I planned on not washing them for the 6 months but should I move the crease around as to not get a solid crease line on the bottom of my jeans?

You're gonna get that line if you cuff them. I dont think theres anything you can do about it

10. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

With my Nudie Jeans, which are raw/dry, I turn them up on the outside of the leg at the back, and on the inside at the front.

Looks less dramatic than the full roll-up, and it doesn't look like I'm trying to show off selvage, which I think is a little bit gauche.

Yeah I get really embarassed when I walk around with the full roll-up and people say "look at that guy showing off his selvage." Seriously, does this happen? [​IMG]

11. keal

keal Senior member

...I turn them up on the outside of the leg at the back, and on the inside at the front.
    I'm doing this for the first time today. AWESOME! It keeps me from stepping on the cuff with my heel, yet it looks like it's just bunched up on the bottom. Cool, cool, super cool! EDIT: I've also found that tucking the back part inside - and leaving the front alone - looks very natural if you want the jeans to look bunched-up on the bottom. Of course, this probably won't work if you're dealing with an overly long inseam.

12. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Thread Hijack:

This is what happened to me, and it sucks (tried to direct link but 2nad3.net is down):
    http://www.mynudies.com/modules/mx_s...age&pic_id=970

13. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

Yeah I get really embarassed when I walk around with the full roll-up and people say "look at that guy showing off his selvage." Seriously, does this happen? [​IMG]

only on internet message boards

14. nobody knows

nobody knows Member

dont cuff them. let them stack and crunch around the ankles. you'll get some good wrinkles there to and they will look cool. what do you mean by the term 'project' jeans?

15. digital_denim

digital_denim Senior member

I just recently hemmed my SD103s. They don't bunch up anymore, but I realize now that I liked it bunched and really regret it!! Screw people who think they need to be perfectly tailored to your shoes, they're jeans!
    Don't hem em, just let them bunch up or cuff them occassionally, it allows your jeans to have different looks.

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I always hem. I don't mind the way cuffed jeans look, but I definitely don't like the way they feel. I prefer single thickness denim breaking over the shoe, it just doesn't feel as heavy or something. I don't know hard to explain, my short answer is that I hem.

17. keal

keal Senior member

I have 1 or 2 jeans that I use to dress-up, and those are hemmed, giving me a more streamlined look. For my project/bondage jeans, I prefer a straight or tapered leg with a too-long inseam to allow the legs to bunch up all over the place below the knee. It adds immense character to the pants, and goes hand-in-hand with natural wear and distressing. Once you have all the whiskering and fading, it just looks so yummy when it's all scrunched around down there [​IMG]

Bondage? I meant playtime! Wha-PACK! [​IMG]

18. DGP

DGP Senior member

Fifteen years ago the unbuttoned bottom button wasn't bad either.

OT, but I'm confused. Are you talking about the bottom button on the front of a suit jacket? Since when should this be buttoned? I thought that was a hard and fast rule, always leave the bottom one open.