Do you remove your jacket when you get to your desk?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Feb 20, 2012.

Do you remove your jacket when you get to your desk?

1. I wear my jacket all day

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. I don't wear it at my desk, but when I get up, I put it back on

34 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. I don't want to get it wrinkled

6 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. I find them restrictive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I've never understood the point of wearing a jacket TO work, but not wearing it AT work

2. Anden

Anden Senior member

It depends. If I have a really tight jacket or one in a more sensetive material I will take it of when at the desk. Most times I have it on all day.

A

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Always take it off and hang it up in the office. I do it to be comfortable and keep it from wrinkling. Also notice that everyone else in the office seems to do the same thing.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i was thinking about today....i always take my sportcoat off when i get settled in and sit down. However, I read that you shoudl always keep your waist covered...(in some thread here) which i dont agree with 100% of the time...but i figure id look much more presentable when having my coat on. so i kept mine on today. and made it about 2 hours. its absolutely fucking roasting in here. Ill put it on when i make my rounds and leave it off when im sitting. eff the "rules."

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I generally leave it on all day, but I'm rarely sitting in one place for long periods of time.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Looking back on an average day, I guess I leave it on the vast majority of the time. Of course, if it's very hot or whatever, it would come off. But generally, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to take it off, so I don't find myself doing so. I suspect it's more habit than anything. I do take it off when driving, unless it's cold enough for me to be wearing an overcoat on time.

7. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Almost always take it off and hang it up when sitting at the desk. If I'm leaving the office for whatever reason, I put it on.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

You omitted to cater for those that leave it off all day in your poll.

9. landshark

landshark Senior member

I have a unique situation here in Texas.

In the winter, I wear it on my walk to work, and whenever I plan to leave the building. However, after a 20-30 minute commute, even in cooler weather, I am usually pretty warm and will need to take it off for a little while. This is then coupled with the fact that my building is kept noticeably warmer than it is outside and it's not ideal for wearing a coat.

Compared to summer, where it's hotter than hell outside, I can't wear my jacket on my way to work. But of course, in the summer time the building is kept at much cooler temperatures to deal with the heat, and I wouldn't function comfortably without a jacket indoors. This cooler temperature does allow me to wear a jacket outside for short trips (e.g. the bank, lunch, meetings, etc.) without getting hot.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Most days it's on all day because of nonstop meetings and such. However, there are days like today when I don't have a meeting for several hours, so my jacket is off as I work at my desk.

11. xpress

xpress Senior member

I remove mine. Always.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Slightly off topic, but I would like to hear from the learned members about pants.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

Few of us remove them I imagine.

14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

15. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

I rarely wear jackets to work, but when I do this is my situation. In the winter, they keep the building very warm making it impossible to wear a jacket all day. However, in the summer, they crank the A/C which makes living without a jacket almost impossible.