• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you remove plastic collar stays before washing shirts in a washing machine?

randomtw

Reaction score
are you supposed to take out the plastic collar stays in shirts before you wash them in the washing machine?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomtw
are you supposed to take out the plastic collar stays in shirts before you wash them in the washing machine?

Yes

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yes, always. You can screw up both the stays and the shirt collar if you don't.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
randomtw:

If you don't remove them, they are easily lost in the wash and if you leave them in when you iron the shirt a shiny spot will develop on the collar.

Andy

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Worst case scenario: the hot water melts them and they stick to the cotton. Then you can't iron the collar, because the iron will melt them almost instantly.

CoryB

Reaction score
If you don't they become curled due to heat. Also ensure you don't iron with them in.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That's why I don't understand why so many shirts are made with paper thin stays permanently inside.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Worst case scenario: the hot water melts them and they stick to the cotton. Then you can't iron the collar, because the iron will melt them almost instantly.

Yep, and this was a good excuse to chuck out a Tasso Elba shirt I bought in a moment of sartorial foolishness that I never quite felt comfortable in. I think I subconsciously left the stays in to provide an excuse to throw the blighted shirt away!

hobo

Reaction score
I don't know what you people are talking about that theyll melt if you iron the collar with the stays in. Before I started using metal stays, I ironed with the stays in and never had any melt. That's bullshit.

But yes, they can come out in the wash, and if they're low quality, thin stays, they can get bent and stuff. I only like the thicker plastic ones or metal ones

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo
I don't know what you people are talking about that theyll melt if you iron the collar with the stays in. Before I started using metal stays, I ironed with the stays in and never had any melt. That's bullshit.

But yes, they can come out in the wash, and if they're low quality, thin stays, they can get bent and stuff. I only like the thicker plastic ones or metal ones

I tried looking for my magnum opus on collar stays I wrote about a year ago on askandy, but alas, it seems to be lost now.

Basically, the real concern is the ugly imprint of the collar stays that gets left behind when you iron and warping due to heat. All stays can and do come out of the wash, not just thin ones (actually thin ones come out during the wash less. It's basically due to physics). I think back in the day, there were some really crappy collar stays that melted under iron, but that no longer happens.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Perhaps hobo is ironing the collar on the topside. If so, then the stay is protected by two layers of cloth and one layer (at least) of interlining. However, I prefer to iron collars on the underside, to spare the showing side from the eventual shininess that will show up if the topside is ironed too often. On the underside, the stay is protected only by its pocket, that is, one layer of shirt cloth. It is much more likely to melt in that case. With a commercial press, which are typically much hotter than a household iron, they would be much more likely still to melt.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo
Before I started using metal stays, I ironed with the stays in and never had any melt. That's bullshit.

I'm not sure I appreciate being called a liar, but thank you for your comment.

All I can say is that I have had plastic stays soften hugely on ironing and stick to the cotton. I call that melting, but I suppose technically it doesn't become a liquid...
smile.gif
The reason I ended up having to iron over the stays in the collar rather than take them out was precisely because the stays were stuck in the shirt after forgetting them in on washing and tumble-drying the shirt.

FWIW, I also iron on the underside of the collar, as Manton surmises above.

WN2

Reaction score
Before I knew better I washed and ironed my shirts with the (plastic or other) collar stays on. I never had any problems with this. I now do remove them just to be sure, but even while ironing the collar from the underside they never melted. Maybe I just can't iron properly
confused.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Your shirts probably had better than average collar stays. Most I've encountered are worse than what comes with Express shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads