Do you recommend buying my own suit fabric directly or from my tailor?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by golakers32, May 26, 2012.

1. golakers32

golakers32 New Member

Good day,

I'd like to get a 3-4 suits made here in the Los Angeles area. I was thinking of buying my own fabric from Taylor & Lodge or similar online seller and bringing it to a suitmaker - perhaps take it to Robert Lim/High Society. Hoping it would make it overall more affordable.

Is this considered cost-effective and, if it may be, does anyone have any recommendations/experience on how best to go about it?

Thanks,

golakers32

2. perpetua

perpetua Senior member

Probably not more cost effective, as your tailor can buy at wholesale prices. Also, most tailors won't do this for you until you've gotten a suit or two made up already. Providing your own fabric is called "CMT," search the forum for more info.

3. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

+1

And that goes for any sort of bespoke work. I once drove my gunsmith crazy because I sent him a bundle of parts and asked him to put them together. Not a good idea! Your tailor buys in bulk. You buy one or two suits at a time. Come on, now. Do you really believe you can get it cheaper? Don't be silly.

4. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

It depends. In general no. The important situations are

a) Alternate/Discount/ NOS fabrics
    b) Grey importing (eg I can say Minnis from HFW for about about 1/3 cheaper than the local distributior)

I'd also point out that a can often give you nicer fabrics as well.

Last edited: May 26, 2012