1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you read eBooks?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jumbie, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Just curious if anyone does. Or, even if you don't, would you if you had the option?

I prefer to read hard copies but the convenience of carrying tons of books in one is appealing.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They want your hair.

3. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

I read them because they're free (Gutenburg, torrents, etc).

I don't enjoy reading them all that much though - I generally only read the ones I can't check out of the public library, and if I find myself constantly referring back to a particular book I'll buy a hard copy.

Considering a Kindle or iRex if the price comes down, until then I'll just have to put up with holding my laptop sideways and setting Adobe Reader to rotate the document.

4. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I read them because they're free (Gutenburg, torrents, etc).

I don't enjoy reading them all that much though - I generally only read the ones I can't check out of the public library, and if I find myself constantly referring back to a particular book I'll buy a hard copy.

Considering a Kindle or iRex if the price comes down, until then I'll just have to put up with holding my laptop sideways and setting Adobe Reader to rotate the document.

Yeah, that's the thing. I've considered getting a reader but I really don't enjoy it nearly as much as a regular book. On my laptop anyway since I've never tried a reader other than the tiny screen of my PDA. That really sucked.

5. supercarl

supercarl Senior member

i find that it is difficult on a screen

1 person likes this.
  6. supercarl

supercarl Senior member

to elaborate, I feel that the paper absorbs light, whereas a screen emits light, and I'm not entirely happy with the reading experience on a screen

7. v0rtex

v0rtex Senior member

to elaborate, I feel that the paper absorbs light, whereas a screen emits light, and I'm not entirely happy with the reading experience on a screen

The electronic paper used in some of the newer e-book readers is nice and doesn't emit any light.

I used to use an old Palm Vx for reading e-books, the mono LCD screen was much nicer on the eyes than a TFT or CRT monitor.

8. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

I find that my speed of reading is much faster on a screen, but I hate it. I prefer the good solid feel of a book (esp. hardcover), lounging back in a couch or lawn chair, and enjoying a beverage or cigar while reading.

It's probably rare for my age group (early 20's).

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I don't really like reading books on a computer screen.

10. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

I read much faster and more easily if I have paper in front of me. I have no idea why. With documents or books on screen, I find myself losing my place regularly, needing to reread passages, etc. I usually end up printing out anything important so I can read it carefully and make notes on it as I do so.

That isn't to say I can't read on screen books or documents, just that I prefer to read paper. On occasion I'll read a book online (classic works out of copyright that I don't see a need to pay for), but usually only do a chapter a day or so to limit the time I spend trying to read on screen.

11. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Hate hate hate hate ebooks, pdf files, reading shit on jstor, etc... I have to print it out and read it or it never gets done or at least i don't remember anything. Plus, most all of the online reading i had were primary texts from the middle ages or articles and dissertations from history journals. I had to make my own notes, highlight shit, and other stuff so i can synthesize the information properly for discussion, my own papers, and just for knowledge.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Yes, I don't really like reading eBooks but the technical books I need often aren't available locally and I'd rather not deal with shipping dead trees.

Also I read the entire last Harry Potter book on my Treo, mostly while on the crapper.

14. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

I voted yes but I only read essays and short stories online; novels are too much.

15. Treen

Treen Senior member

No. Books are cheap and easily portable, ebooks just seem pointless.

16. ekaJ

ekaJ Active Member

I had actually just downloaded a dozen ebooks, happy as hell at first, but I'm having a hard time sticking to them. I tend to really in awkward positions, and also putting the laptop on my lap tends to get hot after a few minutes, and yea it's a little hard on the eyes because of a flat screen (even an old buldgey CRT screen would be preferable since your eyes are constantly actively refocusing.)

17. Rubirosa

Rubirosa New Member

I have a trillion ebooks, havent been able to finish the first, its too damn uncomfortable reading them on screen, if damn readers ala kindle where cheaper life would be GOOD, but for now, they will stay stored gathering cyber dust till a better way of reading them comes along, [​IMG]

18. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Ain't technology a great thing

19. sumonmolla

sumonmolla New Member

I like it also, i think it is very easily read. thanks

20. eatbreathedrive

eatbreathedrive Active Member

I find Zinio to be very useful, no affi. and their online pricing for magazines vary but easy to read and navigate.