• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you prefer the quality of Borrelli shirts over Barba or vice-versa?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Buonamassa experience totals one shirt. The handwork is everywhere you'd find it on an Attolini, Kiton or Borrelli shirt, minus hand-attached cuffs, for some reason. So that's buttonholes, collar, shoulder to sleeve seam, sleeve/armhole, side seams, main sleeve seams and fly.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are all made in Italy, but they are cut for different markets. I have shirts and pants bought in the US and in Italy and the difference in cuts is significant. The US shirts have the same level of handwork, but are blousy. The shirts and pants purchased in Italy are slim and trim. In fact, I think their pants are (or were) my favorite RTW slacks.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i just got these from lance , size 16
borrelli2.jpg

borrelli.jpg

borrelli3.jpg

borrelli4.jpg

plan to wear the lavender one with charcoal trousers perhaps. the red stripe one with a mid grey perhaps a tan if i can pick one up.

i hope these are about 22 pit to pit, these are from italy and not sold here.
if they are at least as slim as my rlbl shirts (along with the armholes) i will be satisfied

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ They are almost certainly quite a bit more than 22" pit to pit.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
^ They are almost certainly quite a bit more than 22" pit to pit.

Well I can tell you that all my american Borrellis in 15,5 are huge like the body of 3 sizes more while the same neck. I received today a real italian 15. 5 and will have to return it for a size more.

just 46 cm pit to pit.

Wicky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Aren't those real italian borrellis above ? How can you be so sure they are blousy

B, I think they are genuine Borrelli's, the thing is that Borrelli's for the US market (still made in Italy) are generally cut significantly larger in the chest than those for the European market. I normally buy my Borrelli's, Barba's, Attolini's etc here in Europe. Bought a Borrelli and a Kiton in the US due to business meeting and lost lugage (same neck size) but the chest of the US shirt is super oversized on me.

A European Borrelli size 16/41 likely has a chest of 42 to 44 inch. European bought Barba size 16 has a chest of approx 42. I believe STF is listing its chest sizes so you would have an indication whether its a EU cut or US cut shirt.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that stores such as ShopTheFinest actually had shirts made for the European market. I'm pretty sure their Borrellis and Barbas are no slimmer than the typical shirt of that make available on somewhere like Yoox.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
from lance ?
No, that super slim was from Italy. I have bought another Borrelli from Lance which is on the way. He told me those were italian model so I bought a 15,75 instead of a 15.15. I have bought 3 Finamores from him made for US , were not slim by the way but I love them. As wicky says. I got a Kiton in 15.5 on the forum whose body was like 4 sizes more with the same neck. My Finamores bought for USA on 15.5 have 10 cm extra pit to pit also. I got a real european Borrelli on 15.5 on ebay and came slimmer than I thought so I will have to change it. The seller doesn´t answers me...

dpw

Reaction score
i like the barba buonomassa. much better fit for me. i think quality is about the same but euro barba is harder to get in usa. get mine via travelling.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpw
i like the barba buonomassa. much better fit for me. i think quality is about the same but euro barba is harder to get in usa. get mine via travelling.

I have only seen those on the B & S section here and loved it. Would like to have some in my size.

Why neapolitans get those great wide spread collars while the other renamed brands got horrible ones ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads