Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you prefer the quality of Borrelli shirts over Barba or vice-versa?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Essentio, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Essentio

Essentio Senior member

Do you prefer the quality of Borrelli shirts over Barba or vice-versa?

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I own many samples of each, and they are all about the same.

The more important difference between the two is that Barbas tend to be slimmer and also to have shorter sleeves. How much of this difference is due to getting all of my Barbas in Italy versus all of my Borrellis in the US I cannot say.

- B

3. Essentio

Essentio Senior member

I own many samples of each, and they are all about the same.

The more important difference between the two is that Barbas tend to be slimmer and also to have shorter sleeves. How much of this difference is due to getting all of my Barbas in Italy versus all of my Borrellis in the US I cannot say.

- B

Thanks!

May I ask why do you get your Barbas in Italy, are they cheaper there or is it because of the selection?

4. Hans

Hans Senior member

Of the ones I have, the Borrelli are slightly better quality.

I can confirm what Vox said about their fit: Barba shirts are slimmer

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Thanks!

May I ask why do you get your Barbas in Italy, are they cheaper there or is it because of the selection?

I just happened to buy the Barbas while traveling.

My first RTW Neopolitan shirts were Barbas bought in a great little shop in Venice that no longer exists.

- B

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I am going to say that in my experience Borrelli is a notch above Barba in the fabric and finishing department. My Paul Jheeta shirts are a notch above both though.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

My Paul Jheeta shirts are a notch above both though.

It's the hint of saffron and cumin.

- B

8. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

I just happened to buy the Barbas while traveling.

My first RTW Neopolitan shirts were Barbas bought in a great little shop in Venice that no longer exists.

- B

Do you mean Ian's store that was on Main, in Venice, CA? If so, he's still there. Hidden away in a little place that doesn't open to the public. He sells online & ebay now: www.Shopthefinest.com

Of course, if you meant Venice, Italy...

9. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

Do you mean Ian's store that was on Main, in Venice, CA? If so, he's still there. Hidden away in a little place that doesn't open to the public. He sells online & ebay now: www.Shopthefinest.com

Of course, if you meant Venice, Italy...

The latter.

10. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

I have a few barba's and 10 or so borrelli's. I prefer borrelli for the collar and overall shape - but in terms of quality they're really similar.

I've started favoring borrelli RTW shirts of bespoke because I can pick them up at a better price, and like the fit more. Same with odd trousers for that matter.

11. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

Funny -- in my experience, Barba's sleeves are a little longer. Agreed on the slimness, though. Borrelli have a bit more handwork (collars are hand-attached, shoulders have hand stitching, whereas my Barbas have handwork only on the armholes and buttons/buttonholes), and the fabrics seem slightly higher quality. Overall, I think it's more or less a wash.

12. winston

winston Senior member

Funny -- in my experience, Barba's sleeves are a little longer. Agreed on the slimness, though. Borrelli have a bit more handwork (collars are hand-attached, shoulders have hand stitching, whereas my Barbas have handwork only on the armholes and buttons/buttonholes), and the fabrics seem slightly higher quality. Overall, I think it's more or less a wash.

Most Barba I have seen don't have hand-sewn buttonholes. I think Borrelli are a step above Barba, definitely. Of course Barba does have the higher line with the gold-on-white labels.

13. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

How much of this difference is due to getting all of my Barbas in Italy versus all of my Borrellis in the US I cannot say.

- B

I think this makes a hell of a difference! Borrelli's for the US market are sized as a tent. The stuff we buy here is much slimmer on the chest and waist, although not as slim as RTW Barba.

As regards handwork on a Barba, they have different lines. The black label has less handwork compared to most Borrelli's, the Gold label (d'oro) has more, hence is the more expensive Barba label. RTW Barba is less expensive then Borrelli (< € 180 black label Barba whereas Borrelli RTW starts at € 200 and runs north).

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I think this makes a hell of a difference! Borrelli's for the US market are sized as a tent. The stuff we buy here is much slimmer on the chest and waist, although not as slim as RTW Barba.

As regards handwork on a Barba, they have different lines. The black label has less handwork compared to most Borrelli's, the Gold label (d'oro) has more, hence is the more expensive Barba label. RTW Barba is less expensive then Borrelli (< € 180 black label Barba whereas Borrelli RTW starts at € 200 and runs north).

There's also Buonomassa, Barba's top line.

- B

15. Wicky

Wicky Senior member

There's also Buonomassa, Barba's top line.

- B

Correct, never seen them in real life though, you B?