• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you prefer summer or winter for dressing up?

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Winter brings more opportunities in terms of clothing, overcoats, scarves, gloves etc whereas in summer the variety of clothes that can be worn are more limited but a wider colour palette can be used.

So, which season do you prefer in terms of satisfying your sartorial pleasures?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Autumn through Winter are my favs for sure!

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love spring and autumn more that either summer or winter in terms of clothing possibilities. The temperature is then perfect for wearing a suit without an overcoat - by far my preferred state of affairs.
smile.gif

Dashing1

Reaction score
Definitely summer! The colors are more vibrant, the fabrics move better, and elegant ease is the order of the day.

Plus, as a Southerner, dressing in the winter is a bit of a drag. When it is finally cold enough to bring out the fun gear (cashmere overcoats, great sweaters, tweeds, etc.) people overreact to the cold weather by cranking up the heat indoors; it gets so sweltering indoors when it is merely 30 degrees C outdoors that one wishes he'd worn shorts to work or the party.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer the Winter, time for lovely big cashmere coats &c.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Autumn through Winter are my favs for sure!
I'm with ^ this guy.

When summer finally hits this god-forsaken tundra the last thing I want to do is cover my sun-deprived skin with fine woven wools. I'm pretty much a bermuda shorts and flip-flop guy from Memorial Day 'til Labor Day.

Hany

Reaction score
Summer because I hate wearing a coat and covering what I am wearing.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
When summer finally hits this god-forsaken tundra the last thing I want to do is cover my sun-deprived skin with fine woven wools. I'm pretty much a bermuda shorts and flip-flop guy from Memorial Day 'til Labor Day.

You are a brave man to wear shorts and flip-flops amidst the insect fauna of the tallgrass prairie.

- B

pitboss12

Reaction score
Like others have said, Autumn through winter. There are so many opportunities to try different combinations with coats, suits, etc. In the summer, many times it's too hot to really "dress up".

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
Like others have said, Autumn through winter. There are so many opportunities to try different combinations with coats, suits, etc. In the summer, many times it's too hot to really "dress up".
Bingo, hit the nail right on the head. Autumn and winter. Spring and summer are often too hot or warm.

maruuk31

Reaction score
Summer is my least preferred. I prefer fall and spring, then followed by winter. Somehow I feel that plenty of the vibrant colors of summer can be worn in the spring but its not too hot to hesitate about dressing up.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's nearly impossible to dress well in the Canadian winter because of snow, ice, and salt conditions. Nice shoes are right out, as are most nicer pants. Wool coats (unless of 20 oz. weight cloth or higher) are insufficiently warm to ward against -20C and below temperatures. Toques are often needed, too, which clash with a well-heeled look. Spring is generally lousy because the ice and snow are still melting (and may sporadically re-appear). Therefore, by a process of elimination, I prefer summer and autumn.
teacha.gif
Sadly, that leaves me but 4-5 months in which to look my best.

Remember

Reaction score
Im from the east coast of Canada, and winters can be a cold thing indeed. However, I still think with the right layering its completely possible to look fashionable. However, a couple people have already hit the bane of winter fashion:

1. Toques, hard to pull off it your going somewhat more elegant. My solution was a simple but high quality black one.

2. Salt. I dont mind the slush so much, I just wear better boots, and if need be, change at my destination. But the amount of salt is a necessary evil, and its ability to ruin pants is great.

Still, after all that, i love the winter more, simply because you have way more clothing options. As for lack of colour, pffft, whos stopping you from adding more? Its a nice break from all the black pea coats everywhere

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads