• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you prefer cap toes or wingtips?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
Historically I have had a preference for full brogues ,(wingtips). But for some reason I am starting to prefer semi-brogues, or half-brogues. I don't know why. Wingtips look too informal, too busy. All that broguing is a distraction.

You definitely need a pair of laced wingtip dress shoes with no broguing, khaki sack. It will change you perception and opinion of wingtips, 1,000,000,000-1.
smile.gif

FWIW, laced wingtip dress shoes with no broguing are just as formal and just as dressy as laced cap toe dress shoes with no broguing.

And, with no broguing, laced wingtips, as well as laced cap toes, are only a small amount less of the following than laced plain toe dress shoes with no broguing: dressy and formal. That being said, no laced dress shoes other than laced plain toes with no broguing (bluchers are fine, balmorals are much better) should be worn to special occasions that require dressing up but do not require formalwear where anything less dressy and less formal than a suit with a dress shirt and a tie is not suitable or not permitted.

A few members of SF and AAAC have a pair or two or three of laced balmoral wingtip dress shoes (one of which has one pair of laced balmoral wingtips made out of black shell cordovan leather and once of which has a pair of these laced wingtips ready to wear from Edward Green) with no broguing. Unfortunately, I do not remember the names of these few members of SF and AAAC with the pairs of wingtips that I described in full details in this paragraph of this reply message to this topic. Perhaps these members of SF and AAAC can post pictures of these wingtips for you and all other SF and AAAC members. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

As for what shoe style I prefer, it is tough for me, but probably cap toes (laced balmorals with six sets of two eyelets for the laces with no broguing, of course) since they are far easier to find ready to wear and, to a lesser degree, made to order than any kind of laced wingtips with no broguing (which, for the most part, you have to buy bespoke to be easy to find and to have in general).

Some shoe brands (such as Edward Green-who no longer offers bespoke but still offers RTW and MTO, John Lobb- who may or may not still offer bespoke but definitely still offers RTW and MTO, possibly Crockett & Jones-who offers RTW and MTO but-to my knowledge-never has and still does not offer bespoke and possibly Alden-who also offers RTW and MTO but-to my knowledge-also never has and still does not offer bespoke) will allow you to order any shoe style MTO even if they do not offer a particular shoe style RTW (such as any kind of laced wingtips with no broguing).

Whether or not Allen Edmonds (my preferred shoe brand as it offers excellent quality for an excellent price-all of the others mentioned above and many others that are on par with or any amount better than the above-far too many too mention here, unfortunately-are of better to considerably better quality but are also much more to considerably more expensive and not worth their price premium, IMO) allows customer to special order shoe styles through their MTO program (which they market as custom or special make up-mostly the latter)that they do not offer RTW remains to be seen.

If somebody knows whether or not AE allows customers to special order shoes styles that are not available from them RTW through their Special Make Up program, please tell me ASAP? Either way, if AE does or does not allow their customers to special order shoe styles through their SMO (SMO being Special Make Up, of course) program, AE will not lose me as a customer ever. But, I (and many other AE loyalists on SF and AAAC just as much as me) still need to know. Thank you dearly and sincerely in advance!
smile.gif

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoes are dressy, brogued shoes are country - so why would there be a comparison?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranKhan
Captoes are dressy, brogued shoes are country - so why would there be a comparison?
I thought this, too, and I have pairs of both types. Yet, I still prefer wingtips to captoes.

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score

Fortunately for me, I live in the country.

Therefore I wear whatever the hell I like.
laugh.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captoes and full brogues are totally different animals. You might as well have said Oxford shoes vs golf shoes.

I wear full brogues only with casual dress. By casual dress I also mean casual lounge suits for lazy weekend wear. Full brogues go with slob wear suitings such as browns, checks/plaids (including window pane checks), linens and tweeds.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score

As I said before, if wingtips have no broguing, they are just as dressy as cap toes with no broguing.

Of course, if cap toes have broguing, they are just as country style as wingtips with the same amount of broguing.

All of the above in this reply message is fact, not mere opinion, and certainly not fallacy or false.

As Snoop Dogg's Huggy bear character in Starsky and Hutch (the movie from 2004 and not the TV Series from 1975 to 1980 where Antonio Fargas did the part of Huggy Bear) would say, ya' dig (or you dig?, which, in proper English, is the way to say this extraordinary catchphrase that was super popular in the 1960s and 1970s).
smile.gif
laugh.gif

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I thought this, too, and I have pairs of both types. Yet, I still prefer wingtips to captoes.

What is your opinion of wingtips with no broguing, JayJay?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Captoes and full brogues are totally different animals. You might as well have said Oxford shoes vs golf shoes.

I wear full brogues only with casual dress. By casual dress I also mean casual lounge suits for lazy weekend wear. Full brogues go with slob wear suitings such as browns, checks/plaids (including window pane checks), linens and tweeds.

What is your opinion of wingtips with no broguing, Sator?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
What is your opinion of wingtips with no broguing, JayJay?
I like them.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I have a lot more pairs of captoes but I like wingtips. I will wear cap toes with or without punching but feel that a wingtip without punching is like a pretzel without salt.

well isn't that the reason to dunk it chocolate spread
blush.gif

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I take it you mean blind and austerity brogues. They certainly make the shoe look dressier and sleeker than ordinary brogues. I like the look.

laugh.gif
I do dig your sense of humor, Sator.
smile.gif
Of course, I was just talking about wingtips with no broguing what so ever (be it blind and austerity brogues, ordinary brogues or any other kinds of brogues in existence-and perhaps any kinds of brogues that no longer exist, will someday exist or might someday exist, etcetera).
smile.gif

tlmusic

Reaction score
I like Black and Dark Brown cap toes.

I like light and dark brown wingtips (brogues)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads