• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you plan on/do you live a conventional life?

Brosef

Reaction score
By conventional life I mean, growing up in a good family, going to school, studying, partying a bit while keeping your objectives in mind, graduating from college and then getting a job or going to grad school to get a potentially better job, then marry some girl, have one and a half children, paying off your mortgage and ****.

Or do you want to/did you live life day by day, following your dreams, making a bunch of concessions that you won't regret because at you're a point in which you would never have been if you just let yourself go with the flow?

Right now I'm in path number one and I think I'm pretty happy with it. I'm a young student with good parents who are well off financially and don't need to worry about my tuition or anything else. I go to a top 20 university and spend a lot of money on clothes and stuff. I'm pretty happy with the life I live but somehow I sort of feel guilty for it all. Feels like I'm missing out on something but I don't quite know what it is.

There's no point really to these threads, just share your stories if you feel like it, it may open a few people's eyes I guess. To me I'm just a materialistic asshole, but I've always been harsh to myself. I'm pretty sure I am a materialistic asshole. ****, I wish I didn't think too much. **** makes me depressed. I feel like I'm Holden Caulfield.

ektaylor

Reaction score
I graduated from UC Berkeley. I'm now working on a campaign. I'm salaried, but if you calculate my salary/hour I would be somewhere in the 4-5 dollars an hour range (2.5k a month at 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Everyday I think about finally taking the LSAT and tucking myself behind the ivory tower at Harvard law or something. My job formally ends in mid-November, and I really have not made up my mind. Attending law school would definitely make things easier--and I plan to do so at some point--but this kind of bottom-level work really has a value of its own that I don't think will be available with a JD from a T1 law school.

To be honest, I'm sort of living out a childhood/high school pipe-dream to work in politics. Whether or not this experience will keep me here is one thing, but the experience (i.e., being treated like ****, working 100 hour work weeks, et cetera) will certainly stay with me throughout my career as my first "real" job. One thing is for sure, though; I'm sure my next job will seem easy compared to the stamina needed for this **** now.

I guess the conventional path would be to attend some prestigious law school and find some capable SO to marry in the distant future. For now, though, convention seems so far off it's not even worth thinking about (in any serious manner). Wait, what was your question, again? I'm pretty drunk. 14 hour work days will make an alcoholic out of anyone.

aizan

Reaction score
no such thing. everyone has their struggles, either in the past or coming down the pipeline. some are more successful at confronting them than others.

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
I graduated with a 3.86 from UC Berkeley. I'm now working on a campaign. I'm salaried, but if you calculate my salary/hour I would be somewhere in the 4-5 dollars an hour range (2.5k a month at 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Everyday I think about finally taking the LSAT and tucking myself behind the ivory tower at Harvard law or something. My job formally ends in mid-November, and I really have not made up my mind. Attending law school would definitely make things easier--and I plan to do so at some point--but this kind of bottom-level work really has a value of its own that I don't think will be available with a JD from a T1 law school.

To be honest, I'm sort of living out a childhood/high school pipe-dream to work in politics. Whether or not this experience will keep me here is one thing, but the experience (i.e., being treated like ****, working 100 hour work weeks, et cetera) will certainly stay with me throughout my career as my first "real" job. One thing is for sure, though; I'm sure my next job will seem easy compared to the stamina needed for this **** now.

I guess the conventional path would be to attend some prestigious law school and find some capable SO to marry in the distant future. For now, though, convention seems so far off it's not even worth thinking about (in any serious manner). Wait, what was your question, again? I'm pretty drunk. 14 hour work days will make an alcoholic out of anyone.

Good post. I'm not old enough to work right now but I see my options as either working ****** off with a Hitlerian boss (or doing my own research if I'm lucky and constantly being under pressure) or going for med school. Choice is a bit hard to make since I love the perspective that I could be doing some meaningful research and possibly changing something in the science microcosm (and why not the world?), but I just can't take the fact that outside of my job, I'll probably hate my life.
Originally Posted by aizan
no such thing. everyone has their struggles, either in the past or coming down the pipeline. some are more successful at confronting them than others.
I think you're missing the point. We all had a choice to do at some moment. Taking the risk to do something more meaningful or choosing some comfort, security and doing the same thing that millions of people did before us.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
the OP made it seem like a choice to grow up in a good family, etc. as far as choosing to live a "normal life", life is unexpected. you can try to plan things but sometimes stuff is out of your control.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of late for that, although by some measures I do have what would appear to be a very conventional life.
But no, not at all.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have had no struggles and live a pretty conventional life, minus having a family because that **** can wait for when I'm 33+.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
My life is pretty ******* far from conventional.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My life was pretty unconventional until my late 20s. Now it's pretty normal, though I like to pretend I'm somehow less conventional than the normal people, even if it's not true.

I don't plan on continuing to lead a conventional life, but I never planned to be conventional in the first place, so the reality is that I have no idea if things will change.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm making it up as I go along. But my long term plans include: not having children and moving to another country. Short term is basically just saving money to I can move comfortably.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm basically in the same situation as ektaylor.

TheD0n

Reaction score
I just got my B.A. and I am looking for work in finance and have intentions to commit to a relationship.

It seems that I have pretty convential aspirations.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most of it has seemed conventional to me ... although I doubt most others would see it that way.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something tells me our definition of conventional is far different than what most of the country considers conventional.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and No. It's a constant learning process, and the definitions of conventional vs. unconventional are absurd anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads