• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you pay out-of-state speeding tickets?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
von Rothbart has been in Chino penitentiary since 2008

swiego

Reaction score
Is there a way to find out what states you have tickets in?

I got one in some midwestern state about ten years ago; I thought I'd paid it but then two years ago while cleaning I found the check I wrote to pay the ticket... that I had forgotten to mail. I've since lost that envelope so I don't even remember what state it was. It would be nice to find out. (Nothing shows up on my credit report or driving history.)

alexei

Reaction score
Just have a lawyer drop it to a non-moving violation and pay that fee (about the same cost as a speeding ticket). I've had 12 traffic violations of various sorts and by doing that none have gone on my record. I had to pull my driving record for work and there were no offenses reported on it and my insurance has never gone up. I don't know how much lawyers charge for this though as I've always had friends do it for free.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does a speeding ticket, which implies clocking a speed the vehicle was going, get bumped down to a non-moving violation?

Either the justice system is flawed or those who are connect and/or large pocketbooks get special privileges for their status, perhaps both.

Oh, and FWIW

I generally hate speeding tickets.
Many places in my area they're used as municipal pocket padders and traffic traps, instead of upholding the laws' original intensions of publc safety for those who go significantly over rational driving speed limits.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pay it, but pay $.01 MORE than you owe. The state will generate a check to you for the $.01 extra you paid. DO NOT CASH IT. Tear it up. THey will send more. Eventually, they will stop sending you the checks for $.01.

The reason not to cash the check after you overpay is the system cannot close your account and as such, they cannot contact your state to indicate you have points in another state, which nowadays means points on your record in your state. Therefore, because they can't close your account, they never report the points.

I learned this trick from a buddy back in college. Used to get tickets in PA on the freakin' turnpike and almost got my michigan license suspended for points until I started using this little trick
Does that still work? You posted a response 5 yrs ago. LOL. That is genius.

alexei

Reaction score

How does a speeding ticket, which implies clocking a speed the vehicle was going, get bumped down to a non-moving violation?
Either the justice system is flawed or those who are connect and/or large pocketbooks get special privileges for their status, perhaps both.
Oh, and FWIW
I generally hate speeding tickets.
Many places in my area they're used as municipal pocket padders and traffic traps, instead of upholding the laws' original intensions of publc safety for those who go significantly over rational driving speed limits.

The courts are happier to accept a guilty plea and fines for a non-moving violation than the possibility of arguing a moving violation so they oblige. I've had it done for speeding tickets 20+ mph over as well as other "moving" violations like failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. It's common practice. In college, the University provided free minimal legal services to students and they did it for me on a speeding ticket too.

Kyle Blake

Reaction score
Yes we do have computers in WV. Our state holds a lot of resources vital to the country.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes we do have computers in WV. Our state holds a lot of resources vital to the country.

Oh yes you do. Your state also reports speeding tickets gotten there to the resident states of those getting tickets. :fu: Ask me how I know. :(

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just find it easier to pay. Besides, for me most speeding tickets are so cheap compared to what we pay for even non-moving violations in NYC. Got a double parking ticket while dropping my pregnant wife off at the drug store for her to pick up her pre-natal vitamins. Guy didn't even ask me to move. Just scanned my registration. Cost, $145. Speeding ticket in Southern Virginia, doing 90 in a 65...$130. Thanks Mayor Mike!

rsquare

Reaction score
Jay Jay, how do you know WV reports. I live in TX and got a speeding ticket in WV today. I am debating not paying it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jay Jay, how do you know WV reports. I live in TX and got a speeding ticket in WV today. I am debating not paying it.

They reported the ticket I got there to where I live, Indiana.

I wouldn't risk not paying the ticket, it may come back to haunt you later. For me, the cost of the ticket is minor compared to the increase in insurance that lasts for several years. :fu:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah a speeding ticket in Indiana was reported to California, the insurance premium went up as well

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Twelve years ago I was pulled over in Montana for what would've been a $250+ ticket in Florida. The cop hands me a ticket for forty bucks and lectures me about how I better pay it if I ever planned on driving in Montana again. I actually laughed at the guy and said, "can I just pay you now?" FWIW, I worked in MT at the time, so I had to pay it anyway.
Quote:
Every government in the history of the world is really great about all the sudden going "hey, you know all these people who have been doing such and such for years now and we hadn't ever done anything about it...well...we need some more revenue this year...what do ya say we do some raids?!"
FTFY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads