• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own many variations on the same item?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now have a light-blue candy/University stripe OCBD from J. Crew, Ralph Lauren (Custom Fit), and Vineyard Vines. I may get one from Rugby as well. There are enough variations among them to make wearing each one a different experience for me.

Mafoofan, I think you have many light-blue candy stripe Brooks Brothers MTM OCBDs?

I'd be satisfied to wear a different light-blue candy-stripe OCBD almost every day to work; but I wonder about the negative impression that could make.

il vecchio

Reaction score
Everything I have bought in the last 25 years is a minor variation of everything else I already have.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think you need to snag a pair of RL loafers.

The sale was awesome, but unfortunely nothing in a size 9. I plan to check some more places on monday.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have about two dozen BB OCBDs; ten are in my custom configuration. All are solid blue or blue-and-white stripes. They are my go-to shirts for pretty much every occasion and I wear them to work every day. I don't see how something so classic and elemental will ever draw attention for being worn frequently.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il vecchio
Everything I have bought in the last 25 years is a minor variation of everything else I already have.

+1, but make it 20

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have countless variations of blue/white shirts and many pairs of black loafers.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have about two dozen BB OCBDs; ten are in my custom configuration. All are solid blue or blue-and-white stripes. They are my go-to shirts for pretty much every occasion and I wear them to work every day. I don't see how something so classic and elemental will ever draw attention for being worn frequently.

I noticed that you call your OCBD's "modified."

You may have mentioned this before, but I haven't seen it--what do you mean by this?

Thanks.

Lear

Reaction score
Within the next few days, I'll be in possession of my third pair of RM Williams Comfort Craftsman boots. All exactly the same, except for colour. Once I get to four pairs, that'll be enough.

OCBD (Obsessive Compulsive Boot Disorder)
lol8[1].gif

Lear

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim

You may have mentioned this before, but I haven't seen it--what do you mean by this?

Thanks.

He has like two buttons at the collar.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim

Thanks.

Double button collar, double button mitered cuffs, no pleats in the back, French placket.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. When you find something you really like, you tend to stick with it. That goes for colors, patters, cuts and what-not.

I get **** from my g/f all the time for buying, what looks like to her, the same things I already own. Pishaw! She has no eye for the details!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been tempted to go this route with shoes. A nearly all Alden longwing shoe wardrobe, anyone?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thirty-Something Years of Variations on Blazer Love

Oxxford - Navy Blue, worsted serge, DB, 6x2 Buttons
Oxxford - Navy Blue, worsted, SB, 2 Button, Patch Pockets
Oxxford - Royal Blue, Fresco-like Hopsack, SB, 2 Button
Oxxford - Tobacco Brown, Fresco-like Hopsack, SB, 2 Button, Patch Pockets (Tobacco Brown is for tobacco farmers!)
Oxxford - Dark Charcoal, Fresco-like Hopsack, SB, 2 Button
Sulka - Navy Blue, cashmere, SB, Hacking Pockets and Ticket Pocket 2 Button
Sulka - Black, herringbone camel hair, SB, 2 Button, Breast and Hip (flapped) Patch Pockets
Sulka - Royal Blue, dupioni silk, 3 rolled 2
Lanvin - Mallard (Teal) Blue, feather "suede", SB, 2 Button, Patch Pockets w/Bellows Pleats
Lanvin - Charcoal Brown, worsted flannel, Patch Pockets w/flaps

No blazers purchased since around 1998 or so. Maybe it's time to commission a bespoke blazer?

___

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads