1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do *you* own any dockers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AlanC, Oct 8, 2004.

1. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

Jeeves does it. Actually, I think his name may be Manuel, but I've never met him.

2. quill

quill Senior Member

Snarky does it.

And since you're being snarky, get to work. I don't pay you to sit around and gab on the internet.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

(j @ 08 Oct. 2004, 6:47) As opposed to the newer American 'freedom fly' (just a button, no zipper), the Super Fly (inside tab, outside tab, zipper, all in platinum, with diamond encrusted buckle) and the Spanish Fly (err... don't need to go there). Sorry. I need sleep.
    Wow; very funny comments made "on the fly". (sorry, couldn't resist). Just have to ask: for those of you who DO own button-fly (and I mean button-front, not French fly closure) pants, why do you buy them? It can't be the look...right? ...because you can't see the buttons when the pants are worn. And it seems to be more a hassle than zippers. Do they fit differently? (never owned any). Do they (pardon me) "rub you the right way?"
    Button-fly pants seem to allow the fly to bend along with your body and pelvic bone, where zippers are stiffer and create weird bulges. The real reason I get buttonfly nowadays is because girls seem to like ripping them all open in one fell swoop. Aside from that, most makers of clothes that I like tend to make all their pants and jeans with button-flies. I have not noticed it any more of a pain to re-button the fly than it is to zip one up.

4. quill

quill Senior Member

Thanks, Brian SD. Yeah, I guess there is something sexy about bodice-ripping, too. (can't - and won't - speak for the button-ripping thang). Man, someone should invent a whole line of rippable clothing just for fun. Cheap, of course, otherwise it could become an expensive habit. Also, I guess most guys can't say they ever caught their wee-willie-winkie in a quick button-up. And with that, I'll button up. [​IMG]

5. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior Member

Great Mistahlee. I was going to comment on the 'uniform' and 'fitting in' in my office and the company, but your words sum it up nicely.

I'm a bigot when it comes to polyester and dockers.

6. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

I bought two pairs of Dockers last month and so far I'm satistied. I paid around $30+tax (canadian) and that's a bargain. The blue ones I wear for work, and the light beige for week-end leisure activies (stroll, have a coffe in downtown, visit galleries, shop, or hang around the apartment). I own khakies/chinos from other brands: GAP, LEE, EDDIE BAUER. The GAP khakis have been on my menu for three years now, and they are very comfortable (the relaxed version). Add to the fact that chicks find them sexy, and you get the idea why I like them. WHY DO I WEAR KHAKIS? Icluding the Dockers. I work in a big retail electronic outlet, where used and new stuff is sold. I fix, test, clean and sell a whole variety of equipments: that kind of environment won't let me wear nice suits and other fancier clothes. Khakis are the best I can do, because sometimes it gets pretty dusty and dirty with the used equipmnet. At work, wearing khakis/chinos and pique polo shirts allows me to appear proffesional, presentable, and authoritative. The other two schmucks I work with dress like dorks: one is wearing the same pair of jeans and T-shirt for three years (every f*****g day), while the other one dresses like a 20 year old punk (he is 35/36). Usually people think I'm the boss, but I'm not. That's because I dress better than the other ones. WHAT'S SO GOOD ABOUT DOCKERS? Dockers have high waist. A man with high waist pants looks more proffesional and trustworthy in business. You don't see anybody wearing those hip-hop pants (low waist) for business. Also, the flat front Dockers I wear are very comfortable and not tight. The fact that they are wrinkle-free makes them even better. Also, the LEE's have hight waist, are comfortable and wrinkle-free. I think the traditional american brands make the best khakis/chinos. I owned for a few months a pair from ZARA (a bit hip) and I threw them away, because didn't provide me with the same comfort that Dockers and LEE's do. ----------------------------------------------------------- Somebody wrote: Dockers, the brand, is more than a line of garments. Â It is the emblem and uniform of mediocrity. Â Generally speaking, men wear Dockers to "fit in." Â These are safe clothes because they will attract no notice; create no uneasiness among the rest of the herd. In America, the Dockers khaki trousers are ubiquitous on the asses of disheveled, style-unconscious, casually attired, middle management drones with cheap, scuffed shoes. [​IMG] That's a bit harsh. If you have a line of work where you can wear tasteful and expensive clothes every day, don't assume that others don't know how. There are a lot of other guys like me that have technical jobs, but after work find the chance to dress tastefully. But, I can understand why you hate the cliche about Dockers. ooo

7. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

I bought a pair when I first got to the U.S. This was when the Dockers brand was still being introduced.

8. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior Member

Nope, no Dockers.

My chino and cotton pants include:

3 MTM chino slacks from Brooks;
    1 cotton MTM from Brooks;
    2 cotton poplin MTM from Oxxford (CEO poplin);
    4 sets of pants from Facconable (summer); and
    5 sets of MTM pants from LS Clothing made from Loro Piana cotton.

9. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Never even thought to wear such a thing.

I wear Levis 501 only.

10. 9_Ball_Slim

9_Ball_Slim Active Member

I own several pairs of Dockers chino style pants.....all pleated and all cuffed. As a matter of fact, I own several pairs of some colors. Gotta have something to kick around in on the weekends.

11. anorak

anorak Active Member

I have a lot of Polo Chinos. I wear them with a polo shirt when I don't have to dress nice but it is still acceptable to go eat or something. I can put on a Blazer and dress it up a bit if I need to.

I can not stand to wear blue jeans/denim. I hate the way they feel and I'm not a cowboy and don't think I need clothes to be that heavy duty. I guess the chinos are my alternative.

What bugs me is when people ask me why I am wearing "dress" pants all the time.

12. thirdbeat

thirdbeat New Member

Unfortunately I do. My dockers have gotten worn out and its time for new pants. Trouble is I now understand that dockers is something not worth wearing. I need to go shopping for new pants, but I don't want something too dressy nor too mediocre like Dockers. Any options you'd recommend? I live in New York so I'm sure there's plenty of options, however I've been looking and havn't found that much yet. I've looked in thrift stores, and I've been very disapointed with what they have there, so I probably should be looking in different places.

Thanks!

13. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

I've never owned any Dockers.

14. Antonio Centeno

Antonio Centeno Senior Member

I used to have many pairs....then I went bespoke and feel ashamed to wear clothing that fits so bad!

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Funny to see this thread pop up when I was thinking about this just a couple days ago. I own only one pair of Dockers -- some linen/cotton I picked up on deep discount a couple summer ago. I wore them Friday and was reminded how much I like them. They're full cut, but that's fine for linen. And they felt great in the blistering heat. I've got much nicer trou, but I'd happily buy another pair of the Dockers in linen if I found them on sale.