1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do *you* own any dockers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AlanC, Oct 8, 2004.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

I own one pair...never worn them though.

2. wicozani

wicozani Active Member

Nope, no Dockers. Some Banana Republic and Eddie Bauer though. I vastly prefer slacks that have a button closure on the inside and a button or hook & loop enclosure on the outside, with or without extension tab. This requirement precludes any Docker model that I've ever seen. What is this style of closure called, anyway?

Jeff

3. bosthist

bosthist Active Member

The button and tab on the inside of the waistband is a french fly.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

As opposed to the newer American 'freedom fly' (just a button, no zipper), the Super Fly (inside tab, outside tab, zipper, all in platinum, with diamond encrusted buckle) and the Spanish Fly (err... don't need to go there).

Sorry. I need sleep.

5. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior Member

I own neither dockers, nor kakis, nor "slacks". I do own a variety of odd trousers though. I suppose the nearest approximation I have are some cotton moleskin trousers. Fantastically comfortable and hard-wearing for Autumnal wear.

6. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior Member

Dockers, the brand, is more than a line of garments.  It is the emblem and uniform of mediocrity.  Generally speaking, men wear Dockers to "fit in."  These are safe clothes because they will attract no notice; create no uneasiness among the rest of the herd.

In America, the Dockers khaki trousers are ubiquitous on the asses of disheveled, style-unconscious, casually attired, middle management drones with cheap, scuffed shoes.

7. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

I haven't worn khakis in probably two years. I used to wear them all the time. Instead, this is what I wear:

- Medium tan thin-wale cords from PDC
    - Dark charcoal thin-wale cords from PDC
    - Flat-front dark gray slacks
    - Cotton/linen blend slacks in light beige
    - Light heather gray flat-front slacks

I prefer these because they allow for more combinations, and the outfits turn out less run-of-the-mill.

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I own Dockers. I didn't say I actually wore them.

9. vero_group

vero_group Senior Member

Never owned them. Never considered them.

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

At the risk of being snarky, what do you folks who do not own chinos cut your lawn in? RLPL trousers? Or do you get Jeeves to do it? :)

Chinos, when worn and accessorized properly, are a fine Sunday afternoon staple for going to pick up the paper, walk the dog or pick up some milk. Or lying down on the couch to watch football.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jeans.

12. Tom

Tom Senior Member

I have one pair of gap khaki's for weekend wear, and a few pairs of Ben Davis workpants The Ben Davis are the best casual pants ever made.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

Me. With great pleasure.
    Heh, am I the only person that thought that post was pretty funny? ;p
    No. I actually have a pair of RLPL sweat pants that I cut the lawn in. Actually, that was a joke. I live downtown, so there's no lawn to cut [​IMG] Btw, I do own a pair of dockers and am proud to say I haven't worn them once. I can't even remember why I bought them... It was years ago, before I developed an appreciation for nice clothes.

14. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior Member

I don't own any because I can't see a reason to wear them.

If it's a relaxed situation I wear jeans or cords. If it's a bit dressier I wear wool slacks. Both look much better than khakis in my opinion.

15. quill

quill Senior Member

Wow; very funny comments made "on the fly". (sorry, couldn't resist). Just have to ask: for those of you who DO own button-fly (and I mean button-front, not French fly closure) pants, why do you buy them? It can't be the look...right? ...because you can't see the buttons when the pants are worn. And it seems to be more a hassle than zippers. Do they fit differently? (never owned any). Do they (pardon me) "rub you the right way?"