• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own a full-length mirror?

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
Do you own a full-length mirror?

I hadn't thought of owning one since I normally just use the bathroom mirror to check out grooming, etc., and if my tie is actually straight. However, one day my roommate's girlfriend asked if I had one since he did not have one either.

I'm assuming most of the gentlemen on this forum with significant others have them, but I'm interested to see if there is enough perceived value in their utility to warrant a purchase.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
They're very handy. I can't imagine living without one.

+1

However, I find, they can be very deceptive when it comes to the more subtle perceptions of fit.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The deception is mainly due to:

1. Curvature in the mirror making you look skinnier/taller. It's very common with larger mirrors / framed mirrors.

2. Your head is perched above your shoulders. When you look at yourself as a whole in a mirror at a typical distance your upper body will appear slightly larger and your lower body slightly smaller simply because eye-chest and eye-feet distance is different. Also, lapel rolls look nicer from up to down than down to up. It sounds obvious and silly but there is an effect. (this is not just my purevanity, it's also camera / optical fundamentals
laugh.gif
)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and it's worth it. I think I dress much better for it.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. I can't appreciate how crazy I am until I've gotten a full-length look at myself before leaving home each day

Corinthian

Reaction score
They are very handy in avoiding the 'newsreader' effect - leaving the house without wearing any trousers.

2. Your head is perched above your shoulders. When you look at yourself as a whole in a mirror at a typical distance your upper body will appear slightly larger and your lower body slightly smaller simply because eye-chest and eye-feet distance is different. Also, lapel rolls look nicer from up to down than down to up. It sounds obvious and silly but there is an effect. (this is not just my purevanity, it's also camera / optical fundamentals
laugh.gif
)

Not saying you are incorrect, but is what you state not also the case when looking at another person? Or are you assuming a much shorter distance between yourself and the reflected image in the mirror than would be normal between two people?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Yes, and it's worth it. I think I dress much better for it.
+1

Can't believe I managed for so long without one.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're very handy. I can't imagine living without one.

Absolutely - I recently stayed at my dad's place for a while over the holidays and the room I was staying in didn't have a proper full-length mirror. Very annoying!

Originally Posted by Lel
However, I find, they can be very deceptive when it comes to the more subtle perceptions of fit.

I agree, but combine it with taking snaps for the WAYWT and you get a reasonable idea. I find the mirror is actually a bit more flattering than pics.

Eagle

Reaction score
Yes...it provides me with that ever important..."big picture!"
smile.gif

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
+1

This is very true, but what's the solution? Take a pic every day before leaving the house?

Maybe there's a market opportunity for some kind of device here.
laugh.gif

jagmqt

Reaction score
I've got one not only to make sure I don't look like a fool, but also because they present the illusion of more space in a small apartment and I also write on it with a dry-erase marker to map out legal briefs and concepts. (I actually have two...one I hang horizontally behind my sofa, the other is verticle outside the bedroom in the hall)

jag

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Absolutely - I recently stayed at my dad's place for a while over the holidays and the room I was staying in didn't have a proper full-length mirror. Very annoying! I agree, but combine it with taking snaps for the WAYWT and you get a reasonable idea. I find the mirror is actually a bit more flattering than pics.
My girfriend refused to put one in our room... she knows I´m a pervert
bounce2.gif
but darling.. is to tie my ties...
bigstar[1].gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
My girfriend refused to put one in our room... she knows I´m a pervert
bounce2.gif
but darling.. is to tie my ties...
bigstar[1].gif

Admittedly, the full-length mirror in my place isn't in the bedroom, but in the hall!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads