• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Own a Fountain Pen?

Do You Own a Fountain Pen?

• I own one but I hardly ever use it

• I own multiple ones but I always use the same ol' BIC

• Yes, and I use it often

• Yes, I collect them

• Ballpoint is the way

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Join the conversation on the Fountain Pen Aficionados Thread.

783F1DEC-B992-4986-BFAD-E7B4C34FCFE6.jpeg

PORCAMOSRL

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Nice collection. We just dropped some Kiton pens but I think they're all ballpoint :(

tweedlover

Reaction score
Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own several but I typically use a rollerball pen.

krudsma

Reaction score
I have one: a Kaweco Brass Sport which I use all the time. I just swapped the old steel medium nib for a gold fine nib and it made a huge difference, the writing experience is much smoother and silkier.

Goofy

Reaction score
No, but despite not owning a fountain pen I’ve been a longtime member of the fountain pen network community.
I do however own a few limited edition precious metal montblanc ballpoint and rollerball pens which I hardly ever use nowadays, and I’m certain I’ll never add another one to my collection, despite liking some of their more recent releases.

Jay.C

Reaction score
I own some of the classic models like Lamy 2000, Platinum 3776 and Sailor PG. Still write with them from time to time.

I once wanted to collect more interesting ones like Capless, Lamy Dialog or Waterman. But I just found out that I wouldn't use them so I stopped.

papado

Reaction score
I bought some to round out my quirkiness however I didn't fully realize how long it took the ink to dry given the fact I'm a lefty and even ballpoints smudge on me haha :rotflmao:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about purchasing a nice fountain pen, but I don't use pens often to rationalize it and I lose them often. I stick to G2 pens and Kuru Toga mechanical pencils.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a nice pen is part of my ‘Kit’ along with nice watch, sunglasses etc. How anyone defines ‘nice’ with the attendant budget, is entirely subjective of course.

I have a beautiful cobalt blue marled resin montefiore espressione that’s my daily user.

i have a nice story too. When I was learning to write with a fountain pen in the junior school if I ran out of cartridges I would sometimes ask my Mam if I could borrow her fountain pen which she always kept in her handbag, and she always said no.
After she died in 2003 I told my family there were a few things I’d like from the house, and when I next went home they’d been put aside along with a few other things thrown in, including her pen.
I got online and found it was a Parker 51 with the ‘hooded’ nib, which they stopped making in the seventies and is not particularly valuable but is revered in the fountain pen nerd community as like the VW beetle of pens, reliable and long lasting.

I took it to a ‘writing instruments’ shop and was told it dates back to the second half of 1955 - right when my Mam and Dad were married. I now think it was a wedding present from my Dad which explains why she was reluctant to let me use it as a kid. I put some ink in and it works perfectly.

The sad result of a company that makes such reliable pens is that you only need one so I hear that Parker are now in trouble and have of course offshored whatever production they have left. Sixty six years old and it works as good as new.

Surely getting a nice pen is preferable to using a load of ****** Bics and throwing them in the landfill. Even for people who say ‘Oh I don’t want a nice pen I would only lose it’ - would they not be less likely to lose it if they had a decent one? See also razors, sunglasses, etc. Come on fellas - get a cool pen and do your bit for the environment!

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not currently using fountain pens but I love them.

I had some old Parkers and Montblanc that I bought at an estate sale a long time ago.

Not so practical but a pleasure to use and buy ink for...

singlechange

Reaction score
Recent purchase...NOS Piquadro Nikolai 2-Pen leather case. 7 inches by 3 inches. With my everyday carry, Parker "51" Vacumatic 1946 Double Jewel medium nib and Montblanc 146 ballpoint pen fine point and Field Notes notebook.
IMG_2249.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2256.jpeg
    IMG_2256.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 125

TexasToast

Reaction score
I dont own any fountain pens but I swear by the Sharpie S-Pen, The pen writes like a dream no skips no runs just perfection.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a nice pen is part of my ‘Kit’ along with nice watch, sunglasses etc. How anyone defines ‘nice’ with the attendant budget, is entirely subjective of course.

I have a beautiful cobalt blue marled resin montefiore espressione that’s my daily user.

i have a nice story too. When I was learning to write with a fountain pen in the junior school if I ran out of cartridges I would sometimes ask my Mam if I could borrow her fountain pen which she always kept in her handbag, and she always said no.
After she died in 2003 I told my family there were a few things I’d like from the house, and when I next went home they’d been put aside along with a few other things thrown in, including her pen.
I got online and found it was a Parker 51 with the ‘hooded’ nib, which they stopped making in the seventies and is not particularly valuable but is revered in the fountain pen nerd community as like the VW beetle of pens, reliable and long lasting.

I took it to a ‘writing instruments’ shop and was told it dates back to the second half of 1955 - right when my Mam and Dad were married. I now think it was a wedding present from my Dad which explains why she was reluctant to let me use it as a kid. I put some ink in and it works perfectly.

The sad result of a company that makes such reliable pens is that you only need one so I hear that Parker are now in trouble and have of course offshored whatever production they have left. Sixty six years old and it works as good as new.

Surely getting a nice pen is preferable to using a load of ****** Bics and throwing them in the landfill. Even for people who say ‘Oh I don’t want a nice pen I would only lose it’ - would they not be less likely to lose it if they had a decent one? See also razors, sunglasses, etc. Come on fellas - get a cool pen and do your bit for the environment!
The last part is very true for me. Used to buy cheap sun all the time and lose them all the time but since I started buying nice ones I haven’t lost any.
not into pens currently but if I did get a nice one I’d still need to carry a crappy one since unlike sunglasses for me most pens aren’t lost ,but rather, “borrowed “ forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads