• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you object to products from high-end clothing brands that are Made in China?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Oh here we go! Eason are you going to do what I think you're going to do?
I would, but I can't find the picture! Do you still have it?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I would, but I can't find the picture! Do you still have it?

No I don't and I can't remember where it's posted.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
KT_So_02.jpg

MADE IN CHINA
worship.gif

rezzor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
If you object to buying in China for political reasons, however wrong headed they are, more power to you, but other than that, a blanket rejection of "made in China" due to a lack of "quality" isn't very logical.
I agree with most of this. Not too long ago (60 years or so) stuff made in Japan was considered very low quality. China produces cheap lower quality stuff because US consumers demand and buy it. It doesn't mean they are incapable of producing higher quality stuff but they may have some marketing problems. However, China's human rights record is a legitimate reason to choose not to support them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem beyond the quality aspect is the rampant counterfeiting of products.

Burberry started making their **** in China and the amount of copied stuff exploded.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
I think the biggest problem beyond the quality aspect is the rampant counterfeiting of products.

Burberry started making their **** in China and the amount of copied stuff exploded.

That has nothing to do with it. All a copy cat has to do is order what they want to copy online and then just do it.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, dumb people here really think they know a lot about Chinese political relations. This is a clothing forum, not a political tossfest. Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
KT_So_02.jpg

Made in China?

then why dye hair blond?
then why make eyes big and wide?
then why stuff **** to make look bigger?

Not that proud to be made in China?

Might as well go for a real white thing instead of this half-fake whatever.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of high-end products made in China that I find objectionable. Lots of ugly ****.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Made in China? then why dye hair blond? then why make eyes big and wide? then why stuff **** to make look bigger? Not that proud to be made in China? Might as well go for a real white thing instead of this half-fake whatever.
So Chinese people must fit into an archetype mold? Wow, you're worst than them Commies over at the PRC. Should we all wear Changshams and have Qing-dynasty braids? Cultural transformation in China is radically different your oversimplified preconceived ideas.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with it. All a copy cat has to do is order what they want to copy online and then just do it.

Dont kid me, the scale of counterfeiting is China is epic, many many many fold greater than anywhere else in the world.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to spank you and say you're wrong, but I mistyped - I'm actually typing on my Panasonic (not my Toshiba), which most assuredly was made in Japan (probably Kobe).

But, for those who don't know, Panasonic is the only laptop brand you can purchase whose components are all actually designed and manufactured by the same company (except the Intel CPU, of course).

Why does that matter? My CF-Y5 toughbook get's about 7 real-world hours of battery life, doesn't get hot, is waterproof, shockproof, weighs 3.1 lbs (a true ultraportable before the segment was invented) with built in dvdrom.

Oh, it's about 4 years old. Panasonic was making latops with those specs 2 years before the Mac Air was a twinkle in Jobs eye. And mine has also certainly held up to the name "toughbook" - it's been absolutely bulletproof. Heck, try and buy on eon ebay with my specs and - if you can find one -you'll still spend 2k on a 4 year old model. Please show me anything from China that holds 10% of it's value in 12 months.

Why am I hammering all the tech nonsense? It explains my "I don't buy anything in China". The CF-Y5 is the Ferarri of it's day (and still runs rings around 90% of the latest and greatest sony garbage). I deep-dive research what I choose to spend my money on, and I have yet to see anything from China worth my dollars.

Your Toshiba might be assembled in Japan but the components are made in China.

Sounds a lot like some of the designer Italian branded clothing to me.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I do not particularly dislike 'made in china'. I hate companies that once employed hard working, loyal, americans turn over the jobs to China so they can make a few extra bucks for themselves and the stockholders. I have emailed many US companies about their manufacturing policies, to inquire as to why they have shifted their production to china. Their response is always something along the lines of 'to stay competitive in this economy'. I call bullshit. I'm sorry, but when you are charging $600 for a pair of shoes, and the materials cost you $75 or less, even with the difference in labor cost between a US worker and a Chinese worker, you are still making money hand over fist. Made in china is not the problem. Corporate greed is.

I have no problem buying some merchandise that is made in china, however I see no reason why I should buy a $550 coat that is made in china, from a US based company(BB). I will not support this sort of customer abuse.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
I'd love to spank you and say you're wrong, but I mistyped - I'm actually typing on my Panasonic (not my Toshiba), which most assuredly was made in Japan (probably Kobe). But, for those who don't know, Panasonic is the only laptop brand you can purchase whose components are all actually designed and manufactured by the same company (except the Intel CPU, of course). Why does that matter? My CF-Y5 toughbook get's about 7 real-world hours of battery life, doesn't get hot, is waterproof, shockproof, weighs 3.1 lbs (a true ultraportable before the segment was invented) with built in dvdrom. Oh, it's about 4 years old. Panasonic was making latops with those specs 2 years before the Mac Air was a twinkle in Jobs eye. And mine has also certainly held up to the name "toughbook" - it's been absolutely bulletproof. Heck, try and buy on eon ebay with my specs and - if you can find one -you'll still spend 2k on a 4 year old model. Please show me anything from China that holds 10% of it's value in 12 months. Why am I hammering all the tech nonsense? It explains my "I don't buy anything in China". The CF-Y5 is the Ferarri of it's day (and still runs rings around 90% of the latest and greatest sony garbage). I deep-dive research what I choose to spend my money on, and I have yet to see anything from China worth my dollars.
Good for you. Now die.
crazy-cat.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads