1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Mar 24, 2008.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Feynman wasn't at Cal. Parking spaces are much better than what UCSB did for its physics Nobel Prize winner a couple of years ago: a big plastic sign hung across one of its buildings that said "Congratulations Nobel Prize Winners!" Classy.

Architecturally, I think the east coast schools as a group have got it more together than the west coast schools.

--Andre

Well, yeah:

[​IMG]

Jon.

2. bslo

bslo Senior member

Why is it so stupid? I guess I just need to trust you? My own experiences going to school with Ivy league grads, working at an ivy league institution, and working with ivy league grads needs to be disregarded because it's not scientific? Come to your own conclusions-- that's totally fine, but I feel totally justified in my point of view even if it is "stupid".

Well, your original post wasn't exactly a model of clarity and seemed to be based more on emotion than logic (I could have sworn that I heard you grinding your teeth when you wrote it). So it would be helpful if you stated your claim precisely. Who knows, it might not be as ridiculous as some of the language in your first post made it seem.

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

If we wanna talk pretty campuses, let's talk about Pepperdine.

Georgetown, Colgate & Vassar are also gorgeous.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

People get into ivy league schools because of what they did in high school (and money, connections, etc.). 'nuff said.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Never been there. Have you been to Cambridge, Mass?

Jon.

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Never been there. Have you been to Cambridge, Mass? Jon.
    Yeah and IMO Harvard is not all that great.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Yeah and IMO Harvard is not all that great.

Are you talking about the school (education) or the campus?

Jon.

8. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Well, your original post wasn't exactly a model of clarity and seemed to be based more on emotion than logic (I could have sworn that I heard you grinding your teeth when you wrote it). So it would be helpful if you stated your claim precisely. Who knows, it might not be as ridiculous as some of the language in your first post made it seem.

Ha! I wrote the first post pretty unemotionally...maybe you were the one grinding your teeth? Maybe I should have considered how thought out my argument would have to be to suggest that the golden calf of the Ivy League is something of a false god... I thought people wouldn't really have taken issue quite as much as they did.

9. bslo

bslo Senior member

Never been there. Have you been to Cambridge, Mass?

Jon.

Completely different architecture (obviously). I really like both.

Pepperdine has incredible views of the Pacific. Actually, one school with a beautiful campus that doesn't get enough publicity is UC Santa Cruz.

10. bslo

bslo Senior member

Ha! I wrote the first post pretty unemotionally...maybe you were the one grinding your teeth? Maybe I should have considered how thought out my argument would have to be to suggest that the golden calf of the Ivy League is something of a false god... I thought people wouldn't really have taken issue quite as much as they did.

Well, I trying trying to cut you a break by suggesting that your post was written in the heat of passion. You still haven't precisely stated your claim.

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you talking about the school (education) or the campus?

Jon.

Don't feed the troll.

12. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

This thread is to some extent about emotion. Should you feel inferior to ivy leaguers? The answer (in my opinion): no. I think the intelligence and "superiority" of their graduates is at best overrated and also highly subjective. As others have said-- most of us have a myriad of personal examples of people going to a state school and doing on par just as well if not better than ivy leaguers. Stop attacking my "clarity". I thank my personal god you are not my law school professor...[​IMG]

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Don't feed the troll.

Con disculpas.

Jon.

14. RJman

Con disculpas.

Jon.

El gato de Ricardo...

You know the rest.

15. bslo

bslo Senior member

This thread is to some extent about emotion. Should you feel inferior to ivy leaguers? The answer (in my opinion): no. I think the intelligence and "superiority" of their graduates is at best overrated and also highly subjective. As others have said-- most of us have a myriad of personal examples of people going to a state school and doing on par just as well if not better than ivy leaguers. Stop attacking my "clarity". I thank my personal god you are not my law school professor...[​IMG]

Well, I was going to retort that I thank god you were/are not my student, but, having reconsidered, I accept your position. You intended to make a point (vague and unclear as it was) based on emotion and not logic or reason. You did that and it should be evaluated for what it is worth.

16. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Well, I trying trying to cut you a break by suggesting that your post was written in the heat of passion. You still haven't precisely stated your claim.

Spare me your law professor bullshit buddy.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

El gato de Ricardo...

You know the rest.

Indeed.

Jon.

18. RJman

Another thread derailed by lawyers.

19. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Well, I was going to state that I thank god you were/are not my student, but I accept your position. You intended to make a point (vague and unclear as it was) based on emotion and not logic or reason. You did that and it should be evaluated for what it is worth.

You must be a joy. The whole world is yours to review and critique. I am unsure if you even have a counter argument to my arguments at this point, so it appears you shift gears to attacking the "clarity" of my argument.

20. Brad

Brad Senior member

Georgetown, Colgate & Vassar are also gorgeous.

And, I.U. Bloomington:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]