• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly have no insecurity over my state school grad education as I sit here and review a dissertation paper for a student at a highly ranked department at a private (not Ivy) school. Her dept is ranked far higher than mine is/was. Yet...

She has an error in Lemma 1 on page 8 (of like 40+). How can you make a basic error like this so quickly?

What's worse is that it's been past her advisors and others.

b

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lifersfc
Guys, the argument can be summed up with a single graphic:

thetrack2.jpg

http://www.leveragedsellout.com/2007...-in-the-track/

Is that site for real???

It seems like parody but after "gym in 26 minutes" you never know...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
you need to click...on...the...link....
Damn you to hell!

Originally Posted by Augusto86
Is that site for real???

It seems like parody but after "gym in 26 minutes" you never know...

Not even Raptor Jeebus can save this thread.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Damn you to hell!

Not even Raptor Jeebus can save this thread.

Never mind, I see now that it's parody...although the people commenting on it seem to be for real.

thebeatblitz

Reaction score
I went to Duke. I'm in medical school. The guy that went to Rutgers? Yeah, he's in here with me.

I'm the one that feels like the asshole for spending $$$, not him. For hardworkers, it all equalizes somewhere down the line.

And I get so much **** for our basketball team too.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebeatblitz
I went to Duke. I'm in medical school. The guy that went to Rutgers? Yeah, he's in here with me.

I'm the one that feels like the asshole for spending $$$, not him. For hardworkers, it all equalizes somewhere down the line.

And I get so much **** for our basketball team too.

if you intend to go to professional school, where your undergrad degree came from makes little to no difference. it's when you don't is where it might come into play.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
if you intend to go to professional school, where your undergrad degree came from makes little to no difference. it's when you don't is where it might come into play.

To be fair, where you went to undergrand can be significantly helpful when trying to get into professional school. Also, speaking for myself, my undergrad came into play when applying for summer associate positions--but I imagine that represents only a marginal advantage, if any.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
To be fair, where you went to undergrand can be significantly helpful when trying to get into professional school. Also, speaking for myself, my undergrad came into play when applying for summer associate positions--but I imagine that represents only a marginal advantage, if any.

It's a bit of everything really. a 2.0 at harvard won't get you into wharton, but it could land you a job due to the connections at harvard. My schools (small liberal arts in new england) came into play at a recent grad school interview, they asked where the **** was it, and what kind of school is it, it's a big east division 1 school. I did get in though, grades being more important that actual school in my case.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I had no idea that people's idea of the Ivy League is as distorted and as wishful as people's idea of England on the Ask Andy forum.

Oh, crap. I just sharted. God save the queen!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a bit of everything really. a 2.0 at harvard won't get you into wharton, but it could land you a job due to the connections at harvard. My schools (small liberal arts in new england) came into play at a recent grad school interview, they asked where the **** was it, and what kind of school is it, it's a big east division 1 school. I did get in though, grades being more important that actual school in my case.

Nobody gets a 2.0 at Harvard. I doubt many people even leave with a 3.0. The only places that grade hard any more are Berkeley, MIT, and Cal Tech (hardest of all, legendary). I may have left out one or two.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I certainly have no insecurity over my state school grad education as I sit here and review a dissertation paper for a student at a highly ranked department at a private (not Ivy) school. Her dept is ranked far higher than mine is/was. Yet...

She has an error in Lemma 1 on page 8 (of like 40+). How can you make a basic error like this so quickly?

What's worse is that it's been past her advisors and others.

b

You are assuming that her advisors and others read the dissertation. In my very limited experience, I'd say that the best (as in the brightest, with the most intellectual potential) students I've met were at the most highly regarded private schools, but that the most diligent students were the top quarter of the class at a state school.

drake

Reaction score

Most graduate schools look at the opportunities you had and what you made of them. Someone going to, say, MIT and not using the resources they had looks a lot worse than someone going to a "crap" school but using every opportunity they had.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
This is certianly hyperbole, but it may not be as outrageous as you think.

In the world of physics, if one intends to be a physicist at a large research university, then one needs to get his PhD from a Top 30 school. There are exceptions, but generally the faculty at even the least prestigious research universities are made up of Ivy Leaguers and and graduates of other top physics schools.

A Physics PhD from UVA will certainly be fighting an uphill battle if he intends to work in academia.

I'm not sure how true this is for other fields, but my point is this: in many fields, his statement is not entirely laughable.

I agree; it is not a laughable statement. Certain professions (law is one) are extremely credentialist: the positions that are open to you coming out of your degree program are determined to an enormous extent by where you went to school and where you graduated in your class; and those initial work opportunities determine to a great extent your later work opportunities. You get on a track and it is very difficult indeed to leap to another track.

drake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Nobody gets a 2.0 at Harvard. I doubt many people even leave with a 3.0. The only places that grade hard any more are Berkeley, MIT, and Cal Tech (hardest of all, legendary). I may have left out one or two.
MIT allows you to "hide" the grades for your first year.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
It's really hard to understand exactly what you are arguing. Ivy league graduates are no better on average than the graduates of any other school in the country (or any "fine" state school or any other private school)? Bullshit! Some public school graduates are better than some ivy league graduates? Obviously this is true. Who could argue otherwise?

I went to a non-prestigious undergrad, an ivy league for law school and have taught at several law schools (and am currently doing so as a career). The very best students at the 4th tier law school where I taught were excellent, and a few of them could have done quite well at a top law school. But the average student was vastly inferior to even the bottom students at my top 3 law school. This is also the case for the 3rd and 2nd tier students that I've taught (although they were much better than the students at the 4th tier school).

Incredibly gifted people often attend non-prestigious institutions for various reasons. Prestigious institutions somtimes admit marginal students. To say, though, that these facts render prestige illegitimate is obviously false (and, frankly, unsophisticated).

Very well argued post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads