• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you need a reference when you are applying for a job?

TheApple

Reaction score
I've never worked before and i want to find work over the summer. They are asking for personal references, and that is all I could provide. I am trying to submit the job app as soon as possible, so I dont really have time to confirm that these people would want to be used as a reference. I am positive they would not say no, but I dont want them to be shocked if they get a call and I never informed them prior to using them as a reference. So to my point, do I absolutely need a reference? It is just a part-time job and I dont have any law problems, arrests, drug violations, or anything of that nature.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just put the people down. They're not going to mind.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Put them down, and then get in touch with them to let them know a call may be coming. This way they won't be surprised when they receive the call.

That said, I don't understand why you don't have time to ask. Why not just give them a call now and ask?

TheApple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Put them down, and then get in touch with them to let them know a call may be coming. This way they won't be surprised when they receive the call.

That said, I don't understand why you don't have time to ask. Why not just give them a call now and ask?

They aren't picking up
bounce2.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have a strict rule at my organization, you verify all references, even for just per diem positions. That way, if the person is messed up/does something insane, you have proof that your organization has a process of due diligence, and you have worked your process. We just toss applications with references blank.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I have a strict rule at my organization, you verify all references, even for just per diem positions. That way, if the person is messed up/does something insane, you have proof that your organization has a process of due diligence, and you have worked your process. We just toss applications with references blank.

Wow, mall security is getting pretty strict
crackup[1].gif
. J/K PB.

ikemen

Reaction score
i personally hate getting references,,,

i got one like a few years ago from somone really high up (director level) and he gave a good reference, but dont you think it'll become meaningless if he left the company and there's no way to call and verify with the referee (the reference only has his office contact details)?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheApple
I've never worked before and i want to find work over the summer. They are asking for personal references, and that is all I could provide. I am trying to submit the job app as soon as possible, so I dont really have time to confirm that these people would want to be used as a reference. I am positive they would not say no, but I dont want them to be shocked if they get a call and I never informed them prior to using them as a reference. So to my point, do I absolutely need a reference? It is just a part-time job and I dont have any law problems, arrests, drug violations, or anything of that nature.

Is this for latex sales, Mr. Vandelay?

I usually put "References Provided Upon Request" and provide a list when requested after I verify my references still want to be contacted. Although, the last 2 jobs I've applied for, none of my references were ultimately contacted, with the exception of the security check when I got my government job. Depending on your resume and the job you're applying for, it seems like some people will ask for references as a way to sift through people who are serious about the job or not, so I would definitely provide references.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I listed references for my current job but they were never contacted.

boo

Reaction score
There are two different reference requests I get. There's the typical HR reference request, which tends to be more to verify employment history, and then there's when your future boss asks for references. If the latter, they will definitely be called, and you should only select people that you are 100% sure will say nice things about you. They don't necessarily have to be former bosses. Co-workers should be okay.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Is that a company specific application form with a spot for references or are you tossing any resume that comes in without attached references?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my current position I listed 3 professional references on my resume - all 3 were called as were 3 personal references.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads