• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you look down on the way strangers dress?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF seems to convince people they're stylistic Gods if they wear what people here generally approve of, and that everyone else around them (outside of SF) is marsupialed. Do you secretly think the world would be better if people just dressed the way you want them to?

I always love the first post from a new member because it always goes like this:

New Guy > Where can I find (insert fashion item here)
Long-Time SF'er > **** you, everything you like is wrong, dickface.

I don't feel quite that strongly, but I'll admit if ever I'm in a casual conversation with people, if clothing comes up, I'm secretly a little disappointed if my opinion doesn't automatically trump everyone else's.
shog[1].gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without sounding too elitist, yes, in general, I do not like the way most people dress for most occasions. I believe there should be a certain amount of formality in our lives and events such as church (or temple), most work, weddings, birthdays, etc. have become just like any other day. These occasions, and many others, in my opinion are important enough to warrant special attention to one's wardrobe. I do not look down on the way people dress at the supermarket for example, but I am constantly shocked at the informality of the average American at events I would consider special. I really don't care if someone has a bespoke suit, but it is the effort that is important.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. if they're not as tall as me....

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

bluemax

Reaction score
For a long time I used to look down on people who I thought were forced to dress a certain way, not because they were dressed badly but because someone or some custom forced them to adopt a style of dress for their job or situation. I used to pity the typical guy going to work in full suit attire, because I thought that wearing a suit was the mark of a tool, someone who was just a cog in a system that forced them to dress in uncomfortable attire to look "professional." These days, with a few more years under my belt, I realize that everyone chooses to dress the way they do (except kids and prisoners), and that just because someone's wearing a suit it doesn't make them a tool. I realize now that my prejudice was the result of societal customs and not because of the person themselves.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No.
I agree; clothes/style/fashion/whatever are a personal interest and I don't expect everybody to care nearly as much as I do.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anything I envy them, as I envy most people seemingly more satisfied than me. Clothes are a lot easier (not that they're particularly hard at any point) when they're just for covering.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Not usually, unless it's actually offensively bad. I'd include in this category: overweight people spilling out tight-fitting clothing, Ed Hardy, and people who are really, genuinely dirty. I don't care if you like the gutter punk aesthetic, wash your goddamn shirt. A final level of hell is reserved for those who try to dress well, fail abysmally, but think they are the bee's nipples or whatever. A guy at a party two weeks ago was wearing: Black Men's Wearhouse-ish pinstripe orphaned jacket; a pale pink shirt with contrast white FC's and cutaway collar; baggy, faded Express denim; scuffed, crumpled, square-toe bit loafers; a poorly-tied, no-dimple solid red tie; and, like the fetid, rotting, sickly maraschino cherry on a vomited wedding cake, a polyester-looking solid red pocket square. I look down on that.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^And the biggest problem is that probably the guy thought he looked REALLY good.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^And the biggest problem is that probably the guy thought he looked REALLY good.

Yes, exactly. He also had a pipe
uhoh.gif

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Not usually, unless it's actually offensively bad.

I'd include in this category: overweight people spilling out tight-fitting clothing, Ed Hardy, and people who are really, genuinely dirty. I don't care if you like the gutter punk aesthetic, wash your goddamn shirt.

A final level of hell is reserved for those who try to dress well, fail abysmally, but think they are the bee's nipples or whatever. A guy at a party two weeks ago was wearing:

Black Men's Wearhouse-ish pinstripe orphaned jacket; a pale pink shirt with contrast white FC's and cutaway collar; baggy, faded Express denim; scuffed, crumpled, square-toe bit loafers; a poorly-tied, no-dimple solid red tie; and, like the fetid, rotting, sickly maraschino cherry on a vomited wedding cake, a polyester-looking solid red pocket square.

I look down on that.

werd.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do look down on the way strangers dress, but I also judge myself for it. I don't like that I do it, but in some ways (though much less offensive) it's like when people use bad grammar. It's just a pet peeve that I deal with.

That said, I think there's a difference between bad taste and no taste. If somebody is wearing a pair of black corrected-grain box-toed shoes to go along with their khaki dockers, but they've gone through the effort to wear pressed clean clothes and are properly groomed, I can forgive that. On the other hand, when see people that have a wardrobe consisting exclusively of T-shirts acquired from filling out credit card applications, baseball caps, and raggedy jeans, I think to myself, "Jesus, have some effin' pride!".

smoothie

Reaction score
Just because someone wears SF approved outfits, doesn't mean they have style. Buying clothes u see the model wear in a catalog or dressed on a manequin(sp) doesn't mean you have style neither.

When you have style you know what dress is appropiate for what time and you look impeccable, but not out of place or as if your overdressed.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I dress the way I want to (and that changes - there are days when I care more and there are days when I care less). Similarly, I am certain that most other people dress the way they want. So, as long as folks are happy in what they are wearing, it is none of my concern. Of course, I am also keenly aware that there are people who look down on the way I dress, and knowing what that feels like, I try to not do the same to others. At the end of the day, they are just clothes. To paraphrase Richard Feynman, an attire is just an attire -- it is the man wearing them who makes all the difference.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure I judge people by the way they dress -- people I know and people I don't know.

But the information I gather & opinions I form are complicated. And they are bound up with other observations of behavior and personal history.

"Look down on" is a pretty narrow set of opinions. Something would be wrong with you if that's all you could do with your sartorial knowledge & powers of observation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads