• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you look down on the way strangers dress?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, quite frankly, do despise, in the literal sense, all people who dress badly. I think it shows a lack of respect for themselves, for the rest of humanity and the world at large. Thus I think there is an element of moral turpidute in this--spitting in the face of God and man alike!

I have more regard for the chap in the MW jacket, pink shirt, et al. because at least he was making a genuine (if misguided and ill-informed) effort to turn himself out well.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
A guy at a party two weeks ago was wearing:

Black Men's Wearhouse-ish pinstripe orphaned jacket; a pale pink shirt with contrast white FC's and cutaway collar; baggy, faded Express denim; scuffed, crumpled, square-toe bit loafers; a poorly-tied, no-dimple solid red tie; and, like the fetid, rotting, sickly maraschino cherry on a vomited wedding cake, a polyester-looking solid red pocket square.

I look down on that.

Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^And the biggest problem is that probably the guy thought he looked REALLY good.

No the biggest problem is that the GIRLS probably thought he looked really good.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I don't like that I do, but I do. Dressing well, by whatever standards, shows respect to those around you. It's the same as learning to speak correctly. These are the qualities that others can observe about you, so you should work to improve them. SF, AAAC, LL, et. al. are free. People damn sure watch enough television to see examples that, while not to SF standard, are a step in the right direction. And when everyone is dressing more correctly, the standards would go up within the society. The sad truth is that you can't make someone care. Whether they're just covering their body with whatever, or dressing to impress their friends, nobody can tell them different until they decide to make an effort.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
There are always going to be the "haves" and the "have nots", this is the way our society is structured. This can also be said for people with style. When I see someone who is badly dressed I always just think that this person is making it easier for me to get ahead in life.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I don't worry too much about how others dress. I can't control it. I wish people would dress better for funerals, weddings, etc. but if that's the worst problem in your life, you have a pretty good life.

stamp0102

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
No the biggest problem is that the GIRLS probably thought he looked really good.

+1,000,000 - I just HATE that

Originally Posted by HermesGuy
When I see someone who is badly dressed I always just think that this person is making it easier for me to get ahead in life.

Hear, hear!

I wouldn't say I look down on people because who am I to say why the person is dressing the way they are dressing. On the other hand, if I know the person and the circumstances, that is a different story. If I know they are capable of dressing appropriately and choose to dress like a schmuck, then I might look down a bit. A guy I know gets excited whenever he gets a new pair of sketchers or kenneth coles. I just can't help but cringe every time.

Then again, I also look up to people A LOT when they are dressed well. Be it quality or fit or style, if they hit any aspect right on the head, I can't help but notice. When I see a well fitted suit, ticket pocket, PS, spread collar, etc. I admire their good taste, and if the opportunity presents itself, I tell them such.

What annoys me the most is when I am wearing one of my old beater Mens Wearhouse-esque suits and plasticy Bostonian shoes cause I know there is gonna be alcohol all over me by the end of the night and someone compliments on how good I look. I know I look like the kind of person SFers usually make fun of and I find it ridiculous that people make positive comments about that.

Eagle

Reaction score
Outside of these fora, I can't say I really dwell on it that much. However, I do make it a point to present myself, as well as possible! What others do, really is up to them...though, they just might follow my lead!
bounce2.gif

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't look down on people who dress poorly. I wish they'd improve, but, in the end, clothing is not the main issue in life.

I definitely notice people who dress well and people who make an effort to look presentable and appropriate, no matter what price point their clothing reflects. And I really notice style.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemax
These days, with a few more years under my belt, I realize that everyone chooses to dress the way they do (except kids and prisoners), and that just because someone's wearing a suit it doesn't make them a tool. I realize now that my prejudice was the result of societal customs and not because of the person themselves.

I agree with this sentiment. I'm graduating college this spring and am currently working in a business casual environment (and before that, a *very* small anything goes deal). I used to always think about wanting a job where I wouldnt have to wear a suit and tie (probably more averse to the tie than to the idea of a jacket and pants that are the same fabric)...now I am almost wishing this place hadnt gone business casual 10 years ago.

I'm glad I don't have to wear a suit since I don't currently have the wardrobe or the salary to support daily wearing but I happen to be wearing one today just because I felt like it. I might blame some of it on Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris' character on How I Met Your Mother) for showing me that the suit can be a joyful thing.

EDIT: that being said, I *DO* look down on anyone who wears a hat indoors--especially baseball caps in a classroom. It's slobby and their mothers should have taught them better.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
No.

I dress the way I want to (and that changes - there are days when I care more and there are days when I care less). Similarly, I am certain that most other people dress the way they want.

So, as long as folks are happy in what they are wearing, it is none of my concern.

Of course, I am also keenly aware that there are people who look down on the way I dress, and knowing what that feels like, I try to not do the same to others.

At the end of the day, they are just clothes. To paraphrase Richard Feynman, an attire is just an attire -- it is the man wearing them who makes all the difference.

+1

Don't forget, as someone else said on this board, that about 150 years ago, the suits we are wearing today - were regarded as the "track" suit of its day.

Do I like it when people dress well, or have at least made an attempt - yes.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
SF seems to convince people they're stylistic Gods if they wear what people here generally approve of, and that everyone else around them (outside of SF) is marsupialed.

SF WAYWN thread look marsupialed compare to the Satorialist but I don't blame people for trying too hard.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
there's a certain "SF attitude" that is annoying and probably manifests itself in how these newly enlightened SFers look at strangers and his attire.

In general, it's the 'guy that used to be unstylish, found SF and copped all the brands and SF trends into his look and is now the style expert in his town' attitude and applying this newfound knowledge to everyone else. It leads to silly threads putting up someone's picture (from a tv screenshot or magazine photo etc) to criticize some inane part of his fit, like the way his tie looks or the suit he's wearing.

I dont care at all how others dress, but I do have a pet peeve about appropriate-ness in a given situation, but not about the actual garment per se.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont mind much at all, i realise that this is somewhat of a hobby for me, and that not everyone cares to spend thousands every year on clothes.

I find people dress certain ways for certain reasons, maybe they feel that in their position in life that the way they dress is fine.

I find that many are shy on buying expensive shoes, suits, ect, simply because they feel it may risk their job by offending someone above them, or because they dont want to wear out nice clothes by wearing them daily.

Most people on this board are comfortable buying a large rotation of clothes, but someone who isnt a style fanatic its a large expense they arent looking forward to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics