• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like westerns?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Not knowing what to put into my blockbuster online queue last week, I randomly chose Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, which was delivered this friday.
I was never a fan of westerns, and I don't think I ever watched through a whole pre -2000 western movie classic before in my life (but have seen certain scenes here and there flipping through channels of course) but having watched Unforgiven I am a bit intrigued by the genre.

Actually I think this film is an offshoot of the typical western, revealing the truths from the myths of western stories and characters.
Maybe that was the reason why I was so intrigued and impressed by the movie.

It got me to want to rent other western classics, not just any 'spaghetti' westerns but of some substance and uniqueness to the story.

What are your favorites and recommendations?

I love this film in its delivery of tension in some scenes, and how it debunks your notions of what ought to happen or who somebody really is. There's a lot of ambiguity (in a good sense) in some of the characters and irony, and it just shows you don't always need blow-you-up action in every scene to deliver a good movie.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last one I saw was 3:10 to Yuma. The one with Batman.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
The best western in recent years besides Unforgiven is Tombstone. From there go to Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. After that you start to get into traditional westerns which may or may not appeal to you: The Wild Bunch, The Professionals, Shane, High Noon, The Shootist, etc.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, A Fistfull of Dollars ?

Gherkins

Reaction score
El Dorado, Rio Grande, The Man who shot Liberty Valance ... but once you've seen High Noon you've covered the basics I think.

Which reminds me to finally change my avatar!

coachvu

Reaction score
The Magnificent Seven, True Grit, The Searchers, The Ox-Bow Incident.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider myself a Western buff, but I've liked every movie where Eastwood plays The Man with No Name.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Country for Old Men is a modern western, IMO, and damn good.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still need to see No Country for Old Men.

I'm a big fan of Jarmusch's Dead Man, although it's anything but traditional.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
The Magnificent Seven.

Any western that is a remake of a samurai movie is awesome (Seven Samurai). Also, I believe For a Few Dollars More is copied from Yojimbo. Either way, they're both classics.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once upon a time in the west is the western by which all others shall be judged imho.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The best western in recent years besides Unforgiven is Tombstone. From there go to Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. After that you start to get into traditional westerns which may or may not appeal to you: The Wild Bunch, The Professionals, Shane, High Noon, The Shootist, etc.

Agreed, except that I prefer Tombstone to Unforgiven. But then, I would, wouldn't I?

I'm not so crazy about the traditional Western.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Not knowing what to put into my blockbuster online queue last week, I randomly chose Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, which was delivered this friday.
I was never a fan of westerns, and I don't think I ever watched through a whole pre -2000 western movie classic before in my life (but have seen certain scenes here and there flipping through channels of course) but having watched Unforgiven I am a bit intrigued by the genre.

Actually I think this film is an offshoot of the typical western, revealing the truths from the myths of western stories and characters.
Maybe that was the reason why I was so intrigued and impressed by the movie.

It got me to want to rent other western classics, not just any 'spaghetti' westerns but of some substance and uniqueness to the story.

What are your favorites and recommendations?

I love this film in its delivery of tension in some scenes, and how it debunks your notions of what ought to happen or who somebody really is. There's a lot of ambiguity (in a good sense) in some of the characters and irony, and it just shows you don't always need blow-you-up action in every scene to deliver a good movie.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance might be something you like. It was John Ford's last western, intentionally so, shot in B&W in the color era. It has Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and Lee Marvin. It deals with the Western genre and myth. Its my personal favorite.

Some others you should see:
High Noon - classic with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. Random trivia: The theme song "Do not forsake me, oh my darlin'" was sung by Tex Ritter, father of John Ritter (three's company).

Shane - The quintessential western. Classic, conventional, incredible. Alan Ladd and young Roddy.

My Darling Clementine - Henry Fonda and Victor Mature. The most historically accurate filming of the gunfight at the OK corral. Victor Mature's Doc Holliday is marvelous.

Classic westerns that are IMO, over-rated

The Searchers - often considered Ford's best and often claimed to have helped inspire Spielberg's JAWS, it just hasn't aged well, IMO.

The westerns you refer to as routine are described as "oat-burners".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads