1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like to eat anything strange/unusual?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jumbie, Jun 18, 2008.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Ah, Tony Bourdain had the chicken ass in Korea. He thought it was mighty chewy.

Yeah, and tasty albeit a little gamey too. Problem is, after the 4th one, all that fat can make you feel shitty, pun not intended.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I believe some pregnant women eat the placenta of their newborn.

There is a phenomena known as "placenta roadkill" in the Four Corners Navajo reservation area. The mother eating the placenta was a cultural norm but apparently is not allowed in the area hospitals. So the father is often given the placenta to take home for the mother to eat. Many fathers do not really go with the old cultural norm (mothers too no doubt), so they pitch it out the car window driving home. Leading to, placenta roadkill.

Public health. What a field. [​IMG]

3. username79

username79 Senior member

Octopus sashimi. Love it. Not sure how unusual that is.

4. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

5. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

in Denver at the Buckhorn Exchange, I had Rocky Mountain Oysters, rattlesnake dip, Yak, and shark. Asctually liked the oysters.

6. juicemakesugar

juicemakesugar Senior member

Fried pig ears, pickled pigs feet (dilled, not sweet), tongue (makes a wonderful cut for corning or pickling), and honestly one of my favorite meat cuts to use in cooking is the cow or pig heart. has a gamier taste than standard cuts, but isn't overwhelming like liver and keeps a good consistency.

When i was younger there was always new stuff for dinner, we would rarely eat the same thing twice in a month, so I had plenty of opprotunity to be exposed to plenty of different "weird" foods.

Now I'll admit there's some stuff I'll never try, but it has to be pretty damn far out there to not even consider.

I like the cut of your jib...you're my kind of people...etc.

7. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Octopus sashimi. Love it. Not sure how unusual that is.
    trite. [​IMG]

8. kalice

kalice Senior member

snake and bird's nest/saliva

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I believe some pregnant women eat the placenta of their newborn.
    Many animals do, and it's quite common in many cultures. Haven't we had several odd-foods threads? Anyway, here's a few favourites of mine: - Whale, can be prepared like beef - Cured ram's testicles, marinated in sour milk and roasted, a bit like kidney - Fermented (OK, rotten) shark (both this and the balls are Icelandic specialties) - Rakfisk, fermented fish, most often trout - Lutefisk, cod jellified with lye or caustic soda - Smalahove (smoked/dried/singed sheep's face, you eat the eye and face muscles) - Tørrfisk - dried cod, actually very nice, like fish jerky Except for the Icelandic shark, which was horrible, I'll eat any of the above regularly.

10. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

tacos made of cow eyes (ojo), cheek (cachete), brains (sesos) or head (cabeza). i don't know which parts of the head they use. all of them are good, especially the eyes.

a few have mentioned beef tongue, but i would not consider that strange or unusual. it's very common and i believe every jewish deli serves beef tongue.

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

tacos made of cow eyes (ojo), cheek (cachete), brains (sesos) or head (cabeza). i don't know which parts of the head they use. all of them are good, especially the eyes.

I'll try pretty much anything edible, but I've shied away from eating eyes and brain. Mainly I'm concerned about prion diseases (BSE, etc.).

Beef tongue done like a pot roast is one of my favorite dishes.