• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like to eat anything strange/unusual?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Sounds like the eating of Ortolan.
"First, it is caught with a net in the forest. Taken alive, its eyes are poked out and the bird is put in a small cage. It's then force-fed oats, millet and figs until it has swollen to four times its normal size. Then the bird is drowned alive in fine cognac. Then, it's roasted whole, in an oven at high heat, for six to eight minutes. Once it reaches the table, a napkin is placed over the eater's head. The technique of eating the ortolan is to put the whole bird into the mouth, with only the beak protruding. Here sadism mingles with masochism. The first taste as you crunch on the bird is the brandied flesh and fat. Then, the bitterness of the guts follow and finally, as the tiny, delicate bones are being chewed on, they will lacerate the diner's gums, with the salty taste of the bleeding gums mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. Chewing the ortolan takes approximately 15 minutes."

That's ******* gross.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
How does one prepare potted meat product? Do you fry it in a pan, heat the can over a flame, eat it straight from the can?

I have no idea what would happen if you put it near a flame. The simplest way to eat potted meat food product is to spread it on sandwich bread. Try it with cheese twists.
drool.gif

(This is really doing my food snob credentials no favor ....)

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bananas and potato chips. i think it's more the differing textures that i like more than anything else.

-Jeff

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a female friend at GW who liked eating French fries dipped in a chocolate milkshake. It boggled my mind, she said it was a Texas thing.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My PB and yogurt definitely doesn't seem so strange any more.

AdmiralGrafSpee

Reaction score
I love eating dog treats; Snausages and Beggin' Strips in particular. I have always enjoyed dog treats since I was a child. The subtle meat flavors and the lack of sweetness combined with the gritty texture is sensational.

Moist cat food is also fantastic.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ate some raw horse meat the other day, garnished with onions and shaved ginger.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
These are not strange at all. The whale is just difficult to come by.

Street food in southeast asia is pretty weird to westerners. Chicken feet and intestine grilled on a stick, balut (fertilized duck fetus), etc.

We also like pig ear/face minced and sizzling on a hot plate. Goes good with beer.

I know my choices are not strange. Like I said, they are probably only strange to western people.

In any case, YOU WIN!!
laugh.gif
I had several chances to eat Balut, but I could not do it. I like all the other food you mentioned though (intestine grill, pig ear, etc.)

WARNING!! TO SF MEMBERS OF THE WESTERN WORLD!!

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN ANY FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF BALUT!!

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I eat balut. Tastes good, but it depends on the dipping sauce. I don't actually eat the baby duck, although my younger sister loves them.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
WARNING!! TO SF MEMBERS OF THE WESTERN WORLD!!

DO NOT SCROLL DOWN ANY FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF BALUT!!

Christ, even with the warning I was too stupid not to look..

That's sicker than 2G1C.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads