• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like smoothies and any simple receipe?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like cold icy smoothies. They are very expensive from stores. Any simple receipes?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean by a smoothie? The ones I make aren't icy. I throw plain yogurt and whatever fruit I have handy into a blender. I suppose you could throw some ice cubes in there (in the blender) and then you'd have a frozen smoothie...

pajames

Reaction score
When my bananas get over ripe, I freeze them in their skins. I sometimes buy extras if the price is right. The skin will get black but the fruit is still perfect. When I make a smoothie I just take a banana out and puree it with whatever fruit and you don't need any ice and there is no dilution. I have them a few days a week. Or buy strawberries frozen in the bag and just add them to the same effect.

Shakermaker

Reaction score
My favorite homemade smoothie is a cup of milk, a scoop or two of chocolate whey protein powder, a banana, and a table spoon of almond butter (peanut butter could easily be substituted, but I am allergic). Add a few ice cubes to the blender and voilà! Delicious ice cold smoothie.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
My favorite homemade smoothie is a cup of milk, a scoop or two of chocolate whey protein powder, a banana, and a table spoon of almond butter (peanut butter could easily be substituted, but I am allergic). Add a few ice cubes to the blender and voilà ! Delicious ice cold smoothie.

My go-to when I don't want to use fruit is skim milk, chocolate protein, peanut butter and ground flaxseed. If loving that is wrong, I don't want to be right.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Apparently avocado and honey makes for a wonderful smoothie, but I'm yet to taste a good one.

I like to blend fresh strawberries and canned guava juice.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Milk, a frozen banana, cocoa powder, unflavored whey, peanut butter or a handful of almonds.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pajames
When my bananas get over ripe, I freeze them in their skins. I sometimes buy extras if the price is right. The skin will get black but the fruit is still perfect. When I make a smoothie I just take a banana out and puree it with whatever fruit and you don't need any ice and there is no dilution. I have them a few days a week. Or buy strawberries frozen in the bag and just add them to the same effect.

You puree the banana with the peel on?

Smoothie is ridiculously easy to make. Frozen fruit + yogurt is the simplest recipe. You can add juice, ice, tofu, or whatever else according to your preference.

I like mine a little less thick, so I try to keep at least 2 ingredients fresh and not frozen. I find that juice, yogurt, fresh banana, frozen strawberries and frozen pineapple to be a fairly standard recipe.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was asking about simple receipes.

Some of you health nuts add whey powder: does that make it taste bad?

I recently came up with this: ice, apple juice, passion fruit concentrate, and sugar.

Those of you that use yogurt: Is this just standard store bought yogurt? Does it thicken the smoothie?

Doc4

Reaction score
My simple recipie ...

In a blender, in this order, put:

4 ice cubes
1 cup frozen blueberries (or blackberries if you can get them!)
1 scoop/serving of whey powder, in the flavour of your choice
2 bananas
enough milk to cover the ingredients. (Chocolate is a favourite, but is usually 1% or 2%; if you feel like something a bit lighter, go with plain skim)

... hit the button on the blender.

... enjoy.

(I avoid strawberries, as they tend to make the smoothie turn semi-solid and not so smooth.)

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frozen spinach is good in smoothies. I slip a golf-ball-sized rock into a full blender of smoothie. This is a good way to get some spinach into small children.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I was asking about simple receipes.

Some of you health nuts add whey powder: does that make it taste bad?

I recently came up with this: ice, apple juice, passion fruit concentrate, and sugar.

Those of you that use yogurt: Is this just standard store bought yogurt? Does it thicken the smoothie?

Yes, I use the standard yoghurt and it does thicken the smoothie, hence the amount of yoghurt you put in depends on the amount and type of fruit you throw in the blender - Bananas don't have a whole lot of juice, but citrus a lot. For me, the smoothie is perfect when it's still going through a straw without much problems.
Remember, you can always add yoghurt - it's often a little harder to add more fruit.
I haven't tried whey powder yet, but I can't imagine it alters the taste much: as long as you don't put the stuff with chocolate or coffee flavour in it. Vanilla seems fine to me.
Why not put fresh fruit in the smoothie? Cheaper and healthier than Cartonjuice and concentrate.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing is simpler than ice cream, milk, and syrup. Those are the three basic ingredients. You need the syrup to add the sugar that you like to the milk. This is the recipe for a milkshake. The proportions are easy to master and go something like 3 parts ice cream to one part milk to one-half part syrup (e.g., chocolate syrup). Go easy on the milk at first -- add gradually until you get the consistency you like.

You can substitute yogurt for ice cream, but then you need less milk. Yogurt is not as solid as ice cream. You can add ice to thicken the drink if you want the consistency of a milkshake. If you use plain yogurt, you will need extra sweet stuff.

You can substitute fruit juice or water for milk. Fruit juice is good if you are using plain yogurt and fresh fruit -- it works like water + syrup.

You can substitute fresh fruit or frozen fruit or anything sweet for syrup. Canned fruit is packed in syrup; you could do plain yogurt + canned mango + ice for a basic mango lasse recipe.

Good idea to focus on simple ones first -- master them and go from there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads