• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like braces/suspenders?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My braces (one pair is missing on pictures, it looks like number 6th but with reveresed colors)
PICT20.jpg
PICT0014.jpg
PICT21.jpg

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice collection. I like you braces much better than your ties. You posted a picture once wearing a pinstripe shirt and suspenders and you looked your best in that pic.

kidkim2

Reaction score
ernest--

Fine looking braces, chap.  But can it be--No. No.--that two or three are fitted with clip-on attachments?  (Say it isn't so.)

Good for you to develop the habit of wearing braces when young.  At my age you may have no choice.  (For cautionary purposes, I should show recent snapshots of me, proud possessor of a new champagne-hued Hong Kong gabardine MTF whose belted trousers, unbeknownst to their loutish wearer, started to sag halfway through the party. Ugh.)

Mike

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ernest-- Fine looking braces, chap. Â But can it be--No. No.--that two or three are fitted with clip-on attachments? Â (Say it isn't so&#33
wink.gif
Good for you to develop the habit of wearing braces when young. Â At my age you may have no choice. Â (For cautionary purposes, I should show recent snapshots of me, proud possessor of a new champagne-hued Hong Kong gabardine MTF whose belted trousers, unbeknownst to their loutish wearer, started to sag halfway through the party. Ugh&#33
wink.gif
Mike
It was 2 years ago when I started to wear brace. I will not use metal clip anymore (thanks Ask Andy&#33
wink.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those braces English?

I prefer the buttoned variety. Quite nice.
All are clip AND button, I have the choice.

They are made in GB by Breuer for Faconnable, Smalto or himself

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems you do not like...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
bored.gif
dontgetit.gif
cry.gif
sad.gif

quill

Reaction score
Interesting question...

If one buys trousers with brace buttons, are they cut expressly to be worn with braces, or would they look okay without braces.

I understand that as vests went out of fashion, thus uncovering the shirt view, that braces then also went out of fashion. But I've always heard that pants drape better when used with braces. So...

Are they cut differently in the waist, seat, rise, and thigh than a pair of trousers intended to be worn with a belt?

Phil

Reaction score
yes, pants are definetely cut a bit different when worn with braces. In general, they are looser at the waist, since they actually hang from the braces. not so loose that they would fall to your feet without the braces on, but looser than with a belt certainly. its an interesting question because in general, when braces were more popular, pants tended to have longer rises, and be a big baggier than nowadays. I wonder if that was to account for the braces, or if the use of the braces made it necessary to cut the pants in such a way. kind of a chicken or the egg scenario. In any case, you can wear braces with most dress pants, but they will look and hang better if they have a longer rise and looser waist. most brace afficianados try to make sure that the pants have no belt loops, but i think that is a minor detail. if you take off those belt loops you are making a committment to braces that you cant take back without going to the tailor and putting the loops back on.

quill

Reaction score
yes, pants are definetely cut a bit different when worn with braces. Â In general, they are looser at the waist, since they actually hang from the braces. Â not so loose that they would fall to your feet without the braces on, but looser than with a belt certainly. Â its an interesting question because in general, when braces were more popular, pants tended to have longer rises, and be a big baggier than nowadays. I wonder if that was to account for the braces, or if the use of the braces made it necessary to cut the pants in such a way. kind of a chicken or the egg scenario. Â In any case, you can wear braces with most dress pants, but they will look and hang better if they have a longer rise and looser waist. Â most brace afficianados try to make sure that the pants have no belt loops, but i think that is a minor detail. Â if you take off those belt loops you are making a committment to braces that you cant take back without going to the tailor and putting the loops back on.
Thanks, Phil. Great info. Gives new meaning to "well hung," doesn't it?
wink.gif

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that's the sexy Ernest picture that JohnnyNorman was talking about before.
i will make pictures with all braces soon

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(VersaceMan @ 29 July 2004, 6:42) Now that's the sexy Ernest picture that JohnnyNorman was talking about before.
i will make pictures with all braces soon
Do you mean you will be wearing only the braces and no clothing? That would be hot. Or, do you mean that you will be wearing all of your braces at one time? That would also be hot.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics