• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you keep your shoes in shoe bags?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't keep their shoes in the shoe bags that come with them? Am I killing my shoes by not keeping them in shoe bags? I keep all of my shoes proudly displayed on the shelves of my closet because I think of it as a collection and I enjoy looking at them out in the open. Anyone?

paper clip

Reaction score
I keep my shoes out of the bags for general storage in my closet so the air can circulate around them freely.

I put them in bags for travel.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Am I the only one that doesn't keep their shoes in the shoe bags that come with them? Am I killing my shoes by not keeping them in shoe bags? I keep all of my shoes proudly displayed on the shelves of my closet because I think of it as a collection and I enjoy looking at them out in the open. Anyone?
I don't keep them in the bags either. According to the "instructions" that came with my EG Cardiffs this morning, that makes me a neglectful shoe owner.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I keep the shoe bags around for travel and use some of them for polishing. If I had a dusty or otherwise hostile closet I might protect them somehow. As it is, I like to be able to see them all to quickly choose a pair to wear. Often the shoes I want to wear determine what clothes I will wear...

I also like pictures on menus...

And for my server to introduce herself.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use bags only for traveling. My understanding has always been that bagging them prevents them from airing out. My patent leathers, I keep bagged. But I only wear them a few times a year and that way my daughter isn't tempted to try them on and clomp around the house in them.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My place has a yard with "Tucson lawn" (i.e. gravel
biggrin.gif
). Craploads of dust permeates everything so I keep them in bags. After wearing I initially let them air out though with shoe trees.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't. There really isn't a reason to do so, unless one is worried about dust (which isn't harmful). Felt bags are for protection when travelling. I assume your shoes don't bounce around much in your closet.
smile.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only use them for travel. I don't think dust comes into play when deciding for/against bags.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay good, at least I'm not alone. I thought I was committing some kind of grave sartorial sin by not bagging my shoes.

Here's a look at how I store my shoes:

closetfm0.jpg

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a bagman, apparently in the minority here. After I remove my shoes, they get a few minutes of airing, then I insert the shoe trees. After a few more minutes, in the bags they go.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't bag my shoes with the exception of out of season and special use shoes.

tbabes

Reaction score
The only shoes I keep in bags are the ones that I don't wear very often.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I don't bag my shoes with the exception of out of season and special use shoes.

Exactly what I do, too. Wholecuts and black bluchers are currently in shoe bags because they're not seeing much use. I also keep my suede shoes in shoe bags not only because I don't wear them much in the Summer, but because I don't want dust collecting on them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads