1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you keep your shoes in shoe bags?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Jul 28, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Am I the only one that doesn't keep their shoes in the shoe bags that come with them? Am I killing my shoes by not keeping them in shoe bags? I keep all of my shoes proudly displayed on the shelves of my closet because I think of it as a collection and I enjoy looking at them out in the open. Anyone?

2. paper clip

paper clip Senior Member

I keep my shoes out of the bags for general storage in my closet so the air can circulate around them freely.

I put them in bags for travel.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Am I the only one that doesn't keep their shoes in the shoe bags that come with them? Am I killing my shoes by not keeping them in shoe bags? I keep all of my shoes proudly displayed on the shelves of my closet because I think of it as a collection and I enjoy looking at them out in the open. Anyone?
    I don't keep them in the bags either. According to the "instructions" that came with my EG Cardiffs this morning, that makes me a neglectful shoe owner.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I keep the shoe bags around for travel and use some of them for polishing. If I had a dusty or otherwise hostile closet I might protect them somehow. As it is, I like to be able to see them all to quickly choose a pair to wear. Often the shoes I want to wear determine what clothes I will wear...

I also like pictures on menus...

And for my server to introduce herself.

5. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I use bags only for traveling. My understanding has always been that bagging them prevents them from airing out. My patent leathers, I keep bagged. But I only wear them a few times a year and that way my daughter isn't tempted to try them on and clomp around the house in them.

6. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

My place has a yard with "Tucson lawn" (i.e. gravel [​IMG] ). Craploads of dust permeates everything so I keep them in bags. After wearing I initially let them air out though with shoe trees.

7. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

Interesting. I was wondering about this. But there is no concensus... Troubling. [​IMG]

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I too use the bags only for traveling. I like being able to survey my shoes too much to keep them covered up.

9. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

I don't. There really isn't a reason to do so, unless one is worried about dust (which isn't harmful). Felt bags are for protection when travelling. I assume your shoes don't bounce around much in your closet.[​IMG]

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I only use them for travel. I don't think dust comes into play when deciding for/against bags.

11. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Okay good, at least I'm not alone. I thought I was committing some kind of grave sartorial sin by not bagging my shoes.

Here's a look at how I store my shoes:

[​IMG]

12. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

I am a bagman, apparently in the minority here. After I remove my shoes, they get a few minutes of airing, then I insert the shoe trees. After a few more minutes, in the bags they go.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I don't bag my shoes with the exception of out of season and special use shoes.

14. tbabes

tbabes Senior Member

The only shoes I keep in bags are the ones that I don't wear very often.

15. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I don't bag my shoes with the exception of out of season and special use shoes.

Exactly what I do, too. Wholecuts and black bluchers are currently in shoe bags because they're not seeing much use. I also keep my suede shoes in shoe bags not only because I don't wear them much in the Summer, but because I don't want dust collecting on them.