Do you keep your shoes in shoe bags?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Jul 28, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Am I the only one that doesn't keep their shoes in the shoe bags that come with them? Am I killing my shoes by not keeping them in shoe bags? I keep all of my shoes proudly displayed on the shelves of my closet because I think of it as a collection and I enjoy looking at them out in the open. Anyone?

2. paper clip

paper clip Senior member

I keep my shoes out of the bags for general storage in my closet so the air can circulate around them freely.

I put them in bags for travel.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Am I the only one that doesn't keep their shoes in the shoe bags that come with them? Am I killing my shoes by not keeping them in shoe bags? I keep all of my shoes proudly displayed on the shelves of my closet because I think of it as a collection and I enjoy looking at them out in the open. Anyone?
    I don't keep them in the bags either. According to the "instructions" that came with my EG Cardiffs this morning, that makes me a neglectful shoe owner.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I keep the shoe bags around for travel and use some of them for polishing. If I had a dusty or otherwise hostile closet I might protect them somehow. As it is, I like to be able to see them all to quickly choose a pair to wear. Often the shoes I want to wear determine what clothes I will wear...

I also like pictures on menus...

And for my server to introduce herself.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I use bags only for traveling. My understanding has always been that bagging them prevents them from airing out. My patent leathers, I keep bagged. But I only wear them a few times a year and that way my daughter isn't tempted to try them on and clomp around the house in them.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

My place has a yard with "Tucson lawn" (i.e. gravel [​IMG] ). Craploads of dust permeates everything so I keep them in bags. After wearing I initially let them air out though with shoe trees.

7. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

Interesting. I was wondering about this. But there is no concensus... Troubling. [​IMG]

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I too use the bags only for traveling. I like being able to survey my shoes too much to keep them covered up.

9. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I don't. There really isn't a reason to do so, unless one is worried about dust (which isn't harmful). Felt bags are for protection when travelling. I assume your shoes don't bounce around much in your closet.[​IMG]

10. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I only use them for travel. I don't think dust comes into play when deciding for/against bags.

11. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Okay good, at least I'm not alone. I thought I was committing some kind of grave sartorial sin by not bagging my shoes.

Here's a look at how I store my shoes:

[​IMG]

12. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I am a bagman, apparently in the minority here. After I remove my shoes, they get a few minutes of airing, then I insert the shoe trees. After a few more minutes, in the bags they go.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I don't bag my shoes with the exception of out of season and special use shoes.

14. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

The only shoes I keep in bags are the ones that I don't wear very often.

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

I don't bag my shoes with the exception of out of season and special use shoes.

Exactly what I do, too. Wholecuts and black bluchers are currently in shoe bags because they're not seeing much use. I also keep my suede shoes in shoe bags not only because I don't wear them much in the Summer, but because I don't want dust collecting on them.