1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you iron a crease in your shirt sleeves?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brigden, Dec 3, 2007.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

No, unless I'm in a serious hurry to use that shirt, because ironing them with a crease is much faster than trying to avoid doing it. I'd never put a crease in a cuff though - good way to wear it out early.

2. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

no i dont crease my shirt sleeves.
    my wife creases them.

3. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

OT: I recently had sleeves shortened on a suit and the jacket came back with a crease at the end of the sleeves. I kind of like it. I notice Prince Charles sometimes has this.

Like his left sleeve here
    http://uzar.files.wordpress.com/2007...e_charles1.jpg

Looks to me in the pic like Prince Charles is wearing a French cuffed shirt.

No creases anywhere other than my collar. Recently started following Alex Kabazz's detailed description, and I've found it makes my sleeves nice and rounded and my collars stand up sharply.

What kind of sleeve boards do those who use them have? I have this little one from BB&B, but I find it a bit awkward and therefore inefficient. Curious as to others.

4. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I crease my sleeves, and I crease the shoulder up to the collar. It forms a crisp unbroken line from the collar to the cuff that is pleasing to my eyes.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Sleeves yes, cuffs no.

My laundry evidently disagrees with me... I only rarely give my shirts to be laundered, preferring to do them myself, but recent laziness meant I collected 14 shirts and I couldn't face ironing them all so gave them to be cleaned. They came back with annoying creases in the cuffs. Ah well, I guess they'll fade next time I wash them...

6. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

No, unless I'm trying to do something special. Not a fan of the look at all, it looks like you either went to a Korean dry cleaner (hopefully sans scorching) or don't know how to iron your shirts. Even when in a hurry, I can still manage to not crease the sleeves without the use of a sleeve board.

7. arrrrffff

arrrrffff Well-Known Member

No creases on any of my shirts unless there brand spanking new and they are the creases that came with them because:

1. The creases wear out and new wrinkles will form over the day of moving around. So unless you remain perfectly still, it eventually looks unnatural.

2. I usually have a jacket or sweater over top so it hides the sleeves.

3. I wear a dress shirt almost everyday and it doesn't make sense for me to iron each time. It would look great, imo, but it would wear out my sleeves. I steam out the creases and that's it.

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I iron in a crease because it's easier than being careful not to do so and it never lasts anyway.

9. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. stubloom

stubloom Senior member

A long sleeve shirt should NEVER be creased. But I can understand why someone would crease the sleeves of a shirt that they hand iron at home. You don't have the equipment with the correct curvature that you'd find in a professional shirt laundry. What I can't understand is why someone would accept a shirt produced by a "professional shirt laundry" that has a sharp crease from shoulder to cuff and even, sometimes, in the cuff itself. A professionally laundered shirt should be rolled and NEVER creased. So why do dry cleaners kick out shirts with creased sleeves that they call "hand finished shirts" or even "hand ironed shirts"? Simply this: to cover up the evidence that the shirt has actually been MACHINE PRESSED -- typically at the rate of 40 to 50 per hour. For more on this subject.... Blog post: When a hand ironed laundered shirt isn't hand ironed http://ravefabricare.com/true-quali...ironed-laundered-shirt-isn't hand-ironed.aspx W

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Leave it to Stu Bloom rant on about cleaning clothes as per usual.

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I put a crease in my sleeves (but not the cuffs). At least it's not like I'm still in the Marines and putting creases down the front and back of the shirt as well anymore...

13. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

When they were talking about creasing cuffs, they meant french cuffs. Obviously barrel cuffs shouldn't be creased.

I crease my sleeves, just becasue that's how I've always done it.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

When they were talking about creasing cuffs, they meant french cuffs. Obviously barrel cuffs shouldn't be creased.

Oh, I'm quite sure there are some places which would crease barrel cuffs. And french cuffs, imo, shouldn't be creased either (until you put them on, of course), though that's less obvious.

15. Sebastian Melmoth

Sebastian Melmoth Well-Known Member

I try not to crease the sleeves, but sometimes I f up.
    I loathe creased barrel cuffs.

16. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

Crease sleeve, no crease on cuff, no crease on fold of french cuffs.

In a related theme, do you crease pants up to the belt, or end it up near the pocket area?

17. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Just checked my Roetzel and he does indeed advocate ironing the cuffs, especially for French cuffs he says to iron the turn back fold then iron the folded cuff with the button holes on top of each other.

18. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Just checked my Roetzel and he does indeed advocate ironing the cuffs, especially for French cuffs he says to iron the turn back fold then iron the folded cuff with the button holes on top of each other.

I suppose with french cuffs it's reasonable to prefer a crisp fold to a slightly gentler roll, it's just personal preference. Ironed barrel-cuffs are just an abberation though.

19. Greggers

Greggers Well-Known Member

20. Beaune Head

Beaune Head Well-Known Member

Sleeves yes, cuffs no. I flatten the cuffs from the inside, then button the sleeve gauntlet button and iron both sides of the sleeve, creating a crease.