1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you hem your jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by crimsonriver, Sep 28, 2006.

1. crimsonriver

crimsonriver New Member

Guys

First post here so big hello to everyone!

Wanted to find out what you all do for jeans which are too long (BTW, I am 6ft 1 size 32/33), specifically those pre-washed which has that nice worn/ fading at the bottom hem. Do you alter them to the right length, fold them or let it bunch up at the bottom?

currently, I let it bunch up but would like it to be right length but hate to lose the wearing/ fading at the hem.

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

Welcome to the Steez.

I don't. I like my jeans unfooled-around-with. That is my way, what is yours?

3. Michael1981

Michael1981 Senior Member

Guys

First post here so big hello to everyone!

Wanted to find out what you all do for jeans which are too long (BTW, I am 6ft 1 size 32/33), specifically those pre-washed which has that nice worn/ fading at the bottom hem. Do you alter them to the right length, fold them or let it bunch up at the bottom?

currently, I let it bunch up but would like it to be right length but hate to lose the wearing/ fading at the hem.

I'd suggest a Eurohem if you would like to keep the original distressing on the hem.

As for heming pants I'm 5'5 and have never found a pair of pants off the rack that have fit me in length; so the answer is yes I hem all my pants.

4. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Distinguished Member

i wonder how bad a frankenhem would look on repros.... with twisted seams... could it even be done?

6. ken

ken Banned by Request

It's his first post. You people are scaring him.

7. crimsonriver

crimsonriver New Member

Went back to the shop I bought my jeans from and they said they could do a cut and sew back on the hem. Saw some samples of other customers who had done it but not picked up their jeans yet. Looks quite authentic so giving it a try.

Ready in next 2-3 days. let's hope it turns out well.

8. JaredK7

JaredK7 Active Member

It really depends on the pants, because a lot fot ime I like to have a worn look on the ends (if there already isn't) so not hemming them helps.

9. afaludi

afaludi Senior Member

some denim makers will chain stitch the hems for you originally so it is official, just shorter.

10. JaredK7

JaredK7 Active Member

I changed my mind, from my previous comment. I wore some unhemmed pants today and realzied how annoying they are, because they always get in the way and make me feel like I am going to trip so now I saw hem them.

11. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Senior Member

Where did you get your jeans that they were willing to do the Euro/California/original hem?

I've gotten my jeans hemmed in this way before. But that's because the jeans were pre-distressed. I've had pair chainstitch hemmed (at Blue in Green) on a pair of raw jeans I'd soaked to get the shrinkage out of the way.

I don't know how necessary chain-stitching is these days. I think most non-premium jeans don't do them anymore anyway.

12. thisisme

thisisme Senior Member

can someone get a pic of a chainstitched hem compared to a non-chain stitched hem?

13. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Distinguished Member

To answer the question succinctly: Yes, always. No exceptions.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

normally never, but I did for my Crates. Hopefully they wont shrink too much when I get around to washing them