1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have to be rich to dress in style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Haqq, Sep 28, 2008.

1. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

Style and taste are unrelated to money, but of course it's easier to express them if you are rich [​IMG]

It also depends on where you live, as an example in Italy is somehow easy to find bespoke at reasonable prices if you are really into that.
    I mean, if you are into expressing your own style with items designed for you and partly by you, not considering the fitting advantage of bespoke over rtw, which is sometimes hard to get right at first time.

2. swiego

swiego Senior member

Wealth is an enabler.

It is not the only one.

3. Syl

Syl Senior member

It's good to have style, but when I was in school I considered it a godsend to find $5 bucks on the ground. I'd not even consider buying new unless it was absolutely necessary.

If someone is in debt, spending money on clothing is simply wasteful. Focus on your education and put off spending money (even if it means sacrificing a bit of trends). You'll reap far greater rewards later on in life.

4. Kohan

Kohan Senior member

Do not discover StyleForum until you're out of school and making a decent income. [​IMG]

Yeah... So I've realized. We should really put a warning banner at the top of the home page or something, like "Attention: Do Not Enter Without Disposable Income!" I blame you all.

Anyway, I'm in a pretty similar situation (mercifully sans debt), and I've just taken to working a couple days a week at the library. Get paid to do your homework, thrift every other weekend or so. It's smarter money-wise, and it's great stress relief to ditch campus for a bit and buy yourself a tie (or what have you) with money you earned. Especially after midterms.

5. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Unless you're going to thrift, it will cost you dearly. You'll quickly find yourself re-defining what a bargain is.

$500 for a suit and $100 for a shirt, and $200 for shoes may be a bargain to most people here, but if you randomly pick a guy walking down the street and ask him, he'll probably tell you those prices are ridiculous.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'm gonna have to agree with the guys that said thrifting. Thrifting is amazing. I've basically built my wardrobe from it. In the past couple years I've gotten recent suits from Isaia, Brioni, RLPL and Oxxford. Shirts from Brioni, Cornelliani, tons on Thomas Pink and Tyrwhytt, T&A and lots of obscure high-end labels. It pays to know labels, but it also pays to know quality. I found a Lugets of Exter shirt last year for $4 at the Sally. I never heard of them, and I'm sure most people haven't either. With that being said - it has all the details and quality of my Borelli shirts and the thing probably retailed well above $200.

Thrifting depends heavily on locations. If you're in the boonies, chances are you won't find much. You need to be somewhat near an affluent neighborhood or city to source the good stuff. It doesn't just come outta nowhere, though sometimes it may seem as such.

Thrif