• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you have any 'Albatross around your neck' items?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Any purchases of top dollar to you that you just regret buying that you can't return or even sell off at a reasonable let-go price because of its stock worth in sf?

Not stuff that you bought and wore a lot but then later outgrew physically or fashionwise because at least you used it.

I'm talking about the items that are still current, recently purchased, at near retail price, and it never was used more than once or twice and just sits in your closet like brand new regrettably?

Mine is a pair of G star black jeans I got when my denim bug hit a few months ago.
I got bought it full retail for 200 dollars (half the reason because I guess the salesgirl was so memorably cute) and now it just hangs in my closet almost new and I can't sell it here no one will want it even less than half what I paid for it I bet.

I just wish I can magically turn that into a pair of sugarcane or pbj or something.
You?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nope, all my **** is planned.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Some Italian wingtips from Yoox that are about a size too small.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Prada loafers. For that price, I could / should have bought something from one of the usual makers you see under MC.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My made in the U.S. standard stratocaster I saved up for in high school; now I wish I had gotten the Mexican one and saved the rest of the money for sartorial pursuits.

The level of my playing is not up to the point where the difference in quality comes from the instrument, not my hands.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Obedient Sons Khaki peak lapeled blazer with epaulettes. Not even a sniff when trying to sell it here for way under what I payed for it.

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
My made in the U.S. standard stratocaster I saved up for in high school; now I wish I had gotten the Mexican one and saved the rest of the money for sartorial pursuits.

The level of my playing is not up to the point where the difference in quality comes from the instrument, not my hands.

Did you pay full price for it new? How long ago was it? That $800+ is a way better investment than any clothing purchase.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I returned it, so I guess it doesn't count. But I ordered an Endovanera t-shirt from the internetz, and the pictures couldn't prepare me for exactly how slutty and Eurotrashy it looked in person.

It was the only experience I had where I looked in the mirror and saw somebody looking back that was totally incongruous with my image of myself. It was like Slutty Eurotrash Rob, not the thoughtful, literate Rob you all know and love.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have nothing too tragic. Probably the most recent regrettable purchase was an APC polo that I got (on sale) for $90 and which fits me worse than anything I could have gotten at Old Navy for $6. I also have some regretable Yoox shoe purchases that I can't resell because they are from random unknown Italian brands that not even I know anything about.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
2 pairs of Frye harness boots that are both too small. I got them from ebay from the states and paid handsome duties and fees when they got here. They've been sitting in the boxes for 2 years and I still haven't gotten around to putting them up on ebay here. Well done.

What size are they?

dsmolken

Reaction score
I once bought a pair of tall black stovepipe boots to go with a traditional folk costume for a folk band I was playing in. The band immediately disintegrated due to a lack of accordion players who didn't already have better gigs. It took over two years before I finally got over the disappointment and my general dislike of black and started wearing them.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, I managed to sell all my stuff I didn't want, even the most costumeish pieces. I gave away some Uniqlo jeans, Slings & Stones, and Cheap Mondays to Goodwill before, but that was because I wasn't persistent in selling them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads