1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a 'signature-item'?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jerome, May 30, 2011.

1. J_Quinn

J_Quinn Active Member

My new signature item is my Allen Edmonds Park Avenues with toe and heel taps. People ask mr if I'm trying to tap dance, a little annoying but what do they know. My other shoes without heel taps are wearing down whereas my PA's are fine!

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Exactly. This is the key point that everyone (including myself in years past) fails to grasp. Your IDPA matches train you for IDPA. Your Kali classes train you for Kali classes. Your dowel rod knife sparring trains you for dowel rod knife sparring. You have ZERO training in fighting for your life against a completely shameless, desperate, possibly psychopathic individual who *most certainly* has backup waiting in the wings.

Just in case this information is incorrectly discounted, let me assure you - I am CCW/IDPA/Military/blah-blah-lifetime-martial-arts, and I am begging you, for the love of god, to do what I would do in situations like these:

Drop the goods and run.

(IDPA = International Defensive Pistol Association)

exactly. more than that is the mental attitude - a guy who has left the house that day planning on mugging is all reved up, you are walking and talking and thinking of other shit, and you think that you will suddenly become a killing machine. just not a reasonable expectation.

3. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

4. john_sf

john_sf Well-Known Member

What is this ?
    Anyone ? The weird black camera/flashlight/whatever device made by Canon ...

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

[​IMG]
    What is this ?
    Anyone ? The weird black camera/flashlight/whatever device made by Canon ...
    Canon RC-1 wireless remote control. Excellent for snapping leaping suede-shoes/blue pants pics during Netherlands-Uruguay WC matches, etc., etc. [​IMG]

6. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Nutcrushers... my signature item. And a pocket square. For a 20-something guy in Philadelphia/Santiago, a pocket square is a rarity.

7. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dont wear them too much, just when I get impatient...

I have seen another sporting them only one time in my life.

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Canon RC-1 wireless remote control.
    Excellent for snapping leaping suede-shoes/blue pants pics during Netherlands-Uruguay WC matches, etc., etc. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. acecow

acecow Senior member

That girl's testimony is fine and dandy, but let us not forget one simple thing. If guns weren't readily available, that wacko wouldn't have one in the first place and she would have no need to protect herself.

10. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

That girl's testimony is fine and dandy, but let us not forget one simple thing. If guns weren't readily available, that wacko wouldn't have one in the first place and she would have no need to protect herself.

It would have been a bomb or something. Crazy people who wanna do crazy things will find a way to do them.

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

In summer, a Panama.

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

It would have been a bomb or something. Crazy people who wanna do crazy things will find a way to do them.

Meh. Two counterpoints:

1. Homemade bombs rarely cause significant damage and often don't go off at all.
    2. The amount of knowledge, time and trial and error needed to make a good bomb would require a lot more determination than grabbing a gun off the shelf. Think about it.

13. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

Has to be my Denim Jacket...

14. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

Maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but this is 2011. What's the point of carrying a pocket knife? Keeping one in your car, sure, maybe. But carrying one? Explain the daily use case to me.
    NCIS: Agent Gibb's Rules: Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife. 1x13 'One Shot, One Kill' & 1x20 'Missing' Signature item definitely has to be my pocket square. A lot of people I run into don't know what it is [​IMG].

15. nich

nich Active Member

I carried a pocket knife with me for the longest time. I stopped, though, when my last knife was confiscated at the airport when I failed to take it out of my pocket before going through the metal detector.

The reason I carried a knife was not protection or anything like that. As an eagle scout I just always had a good swiss army knife, because I actually used it a lot. After camping trips it just became habit.

As a side note, don't let your girlfriend just find out that you carry a knife. No matter how you word it she won't understand.

16. Barnabus

Barnabus Senior member

[​IMG]

i carry a scottish broadsword with me its good for opening boxes and letters and matches the plaid sport coats i am so fond of

17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You never know when your going to have to cut your own arm off.

Tried opening a memory-card plastic container lately? I have my skeletool with me 99% of the time. I work as a legal advisor.. and I think I use it pretty much daily.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

side note, don't let your girlfriend just find out that you carry a knife. No matter how you word it she won't understand.[/quote]

Rightly so...

During your next argument , she will be thinking of this knife in your pocket...

19. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by lasbar [​IMG]
    side note, don't let your girlfriend just find out that you carry a knife. No matter how you word it she won't understand.
    Rightly so... During your next argument , she will be thinking of this knife in your pocket...
    If your significant other is capable of using a knife during an argument, regardless of gender, I would get out of that relationship. Believe it or not, but quite a few of us have HUGE amounts of knives in our kitchen ... Imagine having knives readily available almost all the time?! ...

20. RSS

RSS Senior member

If I'm in the working in kitchen and an argument starts, I typically put down the knife. Gesturing while wielding a 12" serrated knife simply doesn't appear civil.