• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a compulsive shopping habit?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shop compulsively for some things (watches) but can't spend a dime on other things (electronics, my car, generally things most people waste money on).

Like the above poster said, if I'm buying online, I always think, "How much will I lose if I sell this a week after I get it?" Luckily with watches, you can usually keep it around 10-15%, or less if you're a more careful shopper.

Fight Club quote seems appropriate...

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need."

And thoughts on cars from a blog I read...

"Buy Brand New Cars – Why would anyone pay the full retail price worth half a year’s salary for the fastest depreciating asset on Earth? We are brainwashed!"

"“If getting rich makes us happy, then why don’t countries as a whole get happier as they grow wealthier? They discovered that as a country gets wealthier there’s no overall increase in happiness. Why? We continually compare our wealth against that of others. We are competitive and envious. Add to that the fact that Western countries encourage people to strive for more and more, and you have a formula that spins many into depression."

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
I don't spend big. Rarely do I spend over $100 at a time. But, a $30 shirt here, $30 tie there, $40 for dinner, it all adds up. Now, I'm looking at my bank account and wondering where all that extra cash has gone...Time to budget and track again..

That's pretty much how I shop. Rarely do I go for big ticket items but the little things really do add up. Some socks, ties, scarves, shirts, nights out or dates...it just piles up. It's even worse when I do find something which is exactly what I'm looking for, a topcoat for example, and I end up dropping a good $400 for it, on top of the little things I bought earlier...I keep thinking to myself, once I have a great base wardrobe (still working on it) I will definitely slow down my purchasing...I don't want a closet stuffed with expensive things that I will barely ever wear.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
I justify my menswear purchases by saying "if I had to, I could probably get my money back by selling it on SF". That's also my general pricing guideline for online purchases.

Haha wow we think alike. In all seriousness I think I could liquidate my entire wardrobe here and turn a profit on it. I don't buy unless it is ultra, ultra, cheap. I've had shoes I've worn for a year that I was still able to sell here for a nice profit. It felt like someone paid me to wear them for a year.

turboman808

Reaction score
I am a little more sensible. I get most things on sale and I look for things that will always be stylish no matter what year it is. I also try to get things the have a resale value. My classic cars are not free but as long as there is no major maintenance I can pretty much fill em up and drive, Then sell and get my money back. Same goes for my antique furniture and bicycles. Most things I buy have a real value close to what I purchased them for.

I have many friends who make the same or more then me and just don't see how I do it.

Buying compulsive, following trends are both very expensive habits.

mert54

Reaction score
I do love buying clothes, but seeing my grandmother, who was the biggest compulsive shopper ever, I don't think I will ever get too crazy. She used to take me to Neiman Marcus, I would sometimes get things, while she would get 5 or 6, and if I wasn't sure because of the price f something, she always buys it for me. No matter what, which was nice, but makes me feel bad.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a compulsive personality, generally.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I have a compulsive personality, generally.

same with me.

when ever I get into something....I REALLY get into it. I shell out all my cash (basically what I make from my retail work...i'm 19) on that particular interest or obsession.

Main ones at the moment:
Music Instruments (Guitars, amps, synths)
Gourmet Food
Clothes (basically thanks to SF)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads