Do you have a college degree?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

A master's degree should NOT be lumped with a professional degree IMHO. I got my MS a few years back and it didn't help that much.

Where would you put an MBA then?

2. dl20

dl20 Senior member

A master's degree should NOT be lumped with a professional degree IMHO. I got my MS a few years back and it didn't help that much.

Your credentials are the least of your problems.

dl

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Where would you put an MBA then?

An MBA is a professional degree. One can get a doctorate in business. DBA? PhD? What're the official initials?

It's just like a JD being a professional degree (and probably even an LLM) but the SJD is an academic degree (i.e. you don't get it to be an attorney but to be an academic).

edit: I think I'm making a crap argument. You can get a PhD in econ and be a "professional" economist rather than an academic economist.

b

4. iridium7777

iridium7777 Senior member

yes sir, college edumacated. getting my masters in may.

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

An MBA is a professional degree. One can get a doctorate in business. DBA? PhD? What're the official initials?

It's just like a JD being a professional degree (and probably even an LLM) but the SJD is an academic degree (i.e. you don't get it to be an attorney but to be an academic).

edit: I think I'm making a crap argument. You can get a PhD in econ and be a "professional" economist rather than an academic economist.

b

I agree with your last point but it doesn't invalidate your argument. I should soon (finally [​IMG] ) have my PhD in business and it's not a professional degree. I am (for the time being) an academic. Some B-schools like HBS offer the DBA degree, which is more of the doctorate equivalent to an MBA and the expectations for dissertation research are not the same and neither are the typical career paths for graduates.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I agree with your last point but it doesn't invalidate your argument. I should soon (finally [​IMG] ) have my PhD in business and it's not a professional degree. I am (for the time being) an academic. Some B-schools like HBS offer the DBA degree, which is more of the doctorate equivalent to an MBA and the expectations for dissertation research are not the same and neither are the typical career paths for graduates.
    An MBA is a professional degree given by a professional school or college (i.e., business school or college) of the university. The Ph.D. in business, regardless of discipline, is a terminal degree and is awared by the graduate school or college of the university, not the business school.

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

An MBA is a professional degree given by a professional school or college (i.e., business school or college) of the university. The Ph.D. in business, regardless of discipline, is a terminal degree and is awared by the graduate school or college of the university, not the business school.

Yes, we are in agreement. With the exception of DBA degrees (like the one offered by HBS), doctorates (i.e. PhD) in business are not professional degrees like MBAs.

8. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I graduated with an AAS a few years ago. Should get an AA this year and a BA in a couple years.

9. Piobaire

An MBA is a professional degree.

I agree, just wanted to see what Coho would say, given his premise.

10. Conrad

Conrad Senior member

Wrapping up a BS in civil engineering in May.

11. kimchikowboy

kimchikowboy Senior member

Spent the day working on my Ph.D dissertation: A comparision of fishing motivations between Korean and Japanese recreational anglers. If I'm going to have to work 9-12 hours a week, at least part of that time should involve fishing. Unfortunately, until this damn thing is done, no time to actually go fishing. And as the classic T-shirt says, a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Spent the day working on my Ph.D dissertation: A comparision of fishing motivations between Korean and Japanese recreational

Blech, I wrote mine on commercial fishing.

b

13. amin

amin Senior member

just recently graduated. studies BSc Maths & economics

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

just recently graduated. studies BSc Maths & economics

Excellent. What now?

b

15. Piobaire

Spent the day working on my Ph.D dissertation: A comparision of fishing motivations between Korean and Japanese recreational anglers. If I'm going to have to work 9-12 hours a week, at least part of that time should involve fishing. Unfortunately, until this damn thing is done, no time to actually go fishing. And as the classic T-shirt says, a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

What field of study would that be in?