1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a cat?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RJman, Sep 3, 2008.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

[​IMG]

I love big ol' cats like this! Look at the fur poking out between the paws.

2. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Dunno if its been mentioned yet but nobody owns a cat.

Does anyone really "own" a cat? They sort of deign to grace us with their presence.
    ^ I've always liked Jan's quote from my cat thread.

3. suited

suited Senior member

Everyone says that he's fat, my gf says he's "built". Next to the big burberry duffel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Everyone says that he's fat, my gf says he's "built". Next to the big burberry duffel... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I bet he wouldn't look fat if all that fur was shaved off. That being said, he doesn't look fat at all to me.

6. Sunnydale

Sunnydale Senior member

Yep, have a fat cat. Kind of a strange cat. Never had one like this one before. Of late he likes to come up to me and just stare. He can sit there for 15, 20 minutes with out blinking. The determination is impressive, but I have no idea what he wants.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Yep, have a fat cat. Kind of a strange cat. Never had one like this one before. Of late he likes to come up to me and just stare. He can sit there for 15, 20 minutes with out blinking. The determination is impressive, but I have no idea what he wants.

Do you ever stay awake at night, wondering what he wants? Do you torture yourself trying to figure out what he wants? Does it bother you every minute that he stares at you?

THAT is what he wants.

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

As a cat owner, I am fairly confident in saying that your cat is simply deciding which meaty parts of your anatomy he will feast upon should you expire "” unattended "” in his presence.

9. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

If you were to drop over dead right now, a pet dog would whine and howl.

If you were to drop over dead right now, a pet cat would give you 20 minutes before starting to eat you.

That said, I currently have a cat. She must be 9 or so years old, though I've never kept track. I used to have 2, but about 5 years ago 1 got into a fight with a coywolf, and was never the same after. Eventually just didn't come home one day.

Does anyone actually bother to name their cats? I've had 4 in my life time, and each one started out with a name, but ended up being referred to as "kitty". I don't see a point in naming something that won't respond anyway.

10. MicroFi

MicroFi New Member

I've got two cats. Two females - mother and daughter. Don't have a dog because I'm in an apartment [​IMG]

11. speedfreak

speedfreak Well-Known Member

No. Never had a cat, nor will i ever have one. I just can't stand them... Plus, feeding, cleaning up, etc. would be way to much effort.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I love big ol' cats like this! Look at the fur poking out between the paws.

His tufties make the the lulz on our tiled floor areas. Even when he just walks, at the apex of his stride, the back paw under weight will slide a little. When he tries to run and turn a sharp corner the whole Looney Tunes slippery feet happens.

13. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I've always been a dog person. Love dogs. I can't really see getting a dog right now because it would be alone in the house about 12 hours a day. Dogs being pack animals don't like being alone that much. It drives them insane.

Been thinking about getting a cat instead. They are more independent and can cope in that environment better.

What kind of cat should I get. I don't want a foofy cat. I'd like a predatory animal. I had a Siamese growing up. That was pretty cool. He tried to attack and devour my little sister on a couple of occasions. It was fun to watch.

Any suggestions?

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've always been a dog person. Love dogs. I can't really see getting a dog right now because it would be alone in the house about 12 hours a day. Dogs being pack animals don't like being alone that much. It drives them insane. Been thinking about getting a cat instead. They are more independent and can cope in that environment better. What kind of cat should I get. I don't want a foofy cat. I'd like a predatory animal. I had a Siamese growing up. That was pretty cool. He tried to attack and devour my little sister on a couple of occasions. It was fun to watch. Any suggestions?
    First suggestion is, get two cats. One cat alone that much can get a little bored and/or neurotic. Second, I'd say adopt a couple of pound kitties, just plain old tabbies. Maybe a couple of sisters that have been fixed. I mention "sisters" as you want female cats. They are much less prone to destruction, both of your things and themselves. Our dying little tabby has all her predatory instincts. Even now, they are there 100%. Our purebred Ragdoll, no matter how physically imposing he is, has about 50% or less of cat instincts. For instance, he'll chase a toy you toss and then just looks at it. The tabby would toss a toy up in the air (to break its neck), then grab it, roll on her back and try to disembowel it. Oh, and clumping litter. Just fish out the lumps daily and add more litter as needed. There is absolutely zero cat smell here, even in the room with their litter boxes.

15. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I like cats but I'm really allergic to them [​IMG]
    I've always been a dog person. Love dogs. I can't really see getting a dog right now because it would be alone in the house about 12 hours a day. Dogs being pack animals don't like being alone that much. It drives them insane. Been thinking about getting a cat instead. They are more independent and can cope in that environment better. What kind of cat should I get. I don't want a foofy cat. I'd like a predatory animal. I had a Siamese growing up. That was pretty cool. He tried to attack and devour my little sister on a couple of occasions. It was fun to watch. Any suggestions?
    1. Buy a dog. 2. Take it to dog daycare.

16. suited

suited Senior member

First suggestion is, get two cats. One cat alone that much can get a little bored and/or neurotic. Second, I'd say adopt a couple of pound kitties, just plain old tabbies. Maybe a couple of sisters that have been fixed. I mention "sisters" as you want female cats. They are much less prone to destruction, both of your things and themselves.

Our dying little tabby has all her predatory instincts. Even now, they are there 100%. Our purebred Ragdoll, no matter how physically imposing he is, has about 50% or less of cat instincts. For instance, he'll chase a toy you toss and then just looks at it. The tabby would toss a toy up in the air (to break its neck), then grab it, roll on her back and try to disembowel it.

Oh, and clumping litter. Just fish out the lumps daily and add more litter as needed. There is absolutely zero cat smell here, even in the room with their litter boxes.

My gf has never had a cat, and the first time she saw mine grab his toy mouse and turn over on his side to go at it with his back feet, she was like "oh that's so cute why's he doing that with his back feet"?

"It is cute, he's trying to disembowel it."

17. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

I've always been a dog person. Love dogs. I can't really see getting a dog right now because it would be alone in the house about 12 hours a day. Dogs being pack animals don't like being alone that much. It drives them insane.

Been thinking about getting a cat instead. They are more independent and can cope in that environment better.

What kind of cat should I get. I don't want a foofy cat. I'd like a predatory animal. I had a Siamese growing up. That was pretty cool. He tried to attack and devour my little sister on a couple of occasions. It was fun to watch.

Any suggestions?

A Bengal. Or 2 Bengals actually, since you'll be away for 12 hours a day. They are very active and not foofy at all.

18. joegrec

joegrec Senior member

Does anyone actually bother to name their cats? I've had 4 in my life time, and each one started out with a name, but ended up being referred to as "kitty". I don't see a point in naming something that won't respond anyway.
    I named my cat. Her name is Frigg. Seriously. When old people come to visit they always ask what the cats name is and I always tell them and they give me this funny look and call her kitty for the rest of the day.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

His tufties make the the lulz on our tiled floor areas. Even when he just walks, at the apex of his stride, the back paw under weight will slide a little. When he tries to run and turn a sharp corner the whole Looney Tunes slippery feet happens.

Yeah, my cats will do the "Scooby Doo run" when they start off - running in place for a half second before they get started.[​IMG]

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Any suggestions?

First suggestion is, get two cats. One cat alone that much can get a little bored and/or neurotic. Second, I'd say adopt a couple of pound kitties, just plain old tabbies. Maybe a couple of sisters that have been fixed. I mention "sisters" as you want female cats. They are much less prone to destruction, both of your things and themselves.

Our dying little tabby has all her predatory instincts. Even now, they are there 100%. Our purebred Ragdoll, no matter how physically imposing he is, has about 50% or less of cat instincts. For instance, he'll chase a toy you toss and then just looks at it. The tabby would toss a toy up in the air (to break its neck), then grab it, roll on her back and try to disembowel it.

Oh, and clumping litter. Just fish out the lumps daily and add more litter as needed. There is absolutely zero cat smell here, even in the room with their litter boxes.

There are pluses and minuses of female vs male cats. The females will not spray in your house, whereas a male has the potential to. My old Mainecoon didn't spray until he was old and there was another cat sneaking into our house. I really didn't hold that against him.

Female cats, though, can be more aloof and less likely to hop into your lap. Boys tend to be more goofy and affectionate. Both sexes can be great hunters, but I'd give the edge to females. This is obviously NOT gospel.

Mark, if you want short hair cats, follow Pio's advice and just go to a rescue agency or shelter and get a couple of bonded pairs - whether they be siblings or just two youngsters who get along well with each other. If you like soft cats with medium hair (this is the kind I LOVE), then I'd look around for Mainecoons or Norwegian Forest Cats. The males are larger than the females, and the tabby ones are fucking magnificent - think of a tame bobcat with a long tail.

Norwegian Forest Cat:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]