Do you have a cat?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RJman, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

No no I mean an actual pure leopard cat. Should have specified that earlier. This guy here below

[​IMG]

I saw it at someone's home but that was years ago and forget to ask the owner how to get it.

well, this is the thing. Why not?

Bangle breeders used to use asian leopard cats in their breeding programs. You may want to contact one in your area and see if they can help you. I really don't have any idea how much they would go for these days. Back when I was breeding/showing British Shorthairs, most pedigreed cats went for $500.00 and up; cats for showing/breeding typically started at $1000.00. Given the current economy, I suspect that prices might be a bit lower.

2. tutee

tutee Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bangle breeders used to use asian leopard cats in their breeding programs. You may want to contact one in your area and see if they can help you. I really don't have any idea how much they would go for these days. Back when I was breeding/showing British Shorthairs, most pedigreed cats went for $500.00 and up; cats for showing/breeding typically started at $1000.00. Given the current economy, I suspect that prices might be a bit lower.

thank you for this info. You know of a decent way to look up bengal breeders? any websites to look? I guess Internet is the answer to most questions but I don't know anything about cats or animal breeding and would like to get some direction in correct way.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

There's another semi-feral called a Savannah Cat.

[​IMG]

Fairly expensive though.

lefty

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

There's another semi-feral called a Savannah Cat.

Fairly expensive though.

lefty

Also illegal in NYC I believe.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Also illegal in NYC I believe.

Really? Did not know that.

lefty

6. RJman

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

We're watching our friend's pug for a few days. Her coat looks similar to our cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rxcats

rxcats Senior member

thank you for this info. You know of a decent way to look up bengal breeders? any websites to look? I guess Internet is the answer to most questions but I don't know anything about cats or animal breeding and would like to get some direction in correct way.
    TICA is the major cat registration body that recognizes bengals. I would check out their website for breeder recommendations and advertisements. You can also pick up a copy of Cat Fancy; it is a monthly magazine that has breeder listings in the back. I personally feel it is best to purchase from a breeder who shows cats as they are more particular that the cats they sell are bred to standard. People that are showing their cats are also making an investment in both time and money with the breed. You should avoid "backyard breeders" who are trying to make a quick buck and have no idea what they are doing and also avoid "kitty mills" that are churning out huge numbers of kittens with no thought to the animals health or welfare. Never buy a cat from a pet store; they usually do business with the mill type catteries. I am not sure how successful you will be with finding a purebred Asian Leopard Cat. You will have better luck with an F1 (first generation cross) bengal. Most people want pets that are at least F4 as they are tamer. Realize that even bengals can be pretty wild. I know a breeder who abandoned her breeding program due to the spraying (urine marking) of even the retired (spayed) females as well as the climbing and destructive behavior of the F1 and F2 crosses. She didn't even have a full Asian Leopard Cat and was an experienced breeder of another breed (American Curls). The F4 and later generations are going to be less likely to have these problems. I strongly advise that you learn all you can about the species (Asian Leopard Cat) and the bengal breed before talking with a breeder. If you sound like you don't know what you are getting in to, you will likely be told that they don't have what you are looking for. As someone else mentioned, many places have laws against owning exotic cats without license. You can probably get away with a bengal as they are considered domestic cats at F4 generation and beyond.

9. RJman

We're watching our friend's pug for a few days. Her coat looks similar to our cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOL!

10. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

New kitten coming home soon after her shots! [​IMG]
    She grew! Here's a photo of her first time getting groomed [​IMG]

11. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

One more of Pumpkin, her whiskers are still out of control [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pugs are the greatest.

13. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

14. RJman

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

One of mah kittehs:

[​IMG]

Her left nostril is plugged up with snot. Doxycycline took care of that.