• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a bad travel exprience?

skyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Plenty of bad travel experiences. I've described a few food poisoning episodes in graphic detail on here before. There are more stories too.

Food poisoning on holiday is terrible.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skyman
Food poisoning on holiday is terrible.

Yep. I'm pretty surprised I don't have some serious parasites or something yet. Nor do I have malaria!

skyman

Reaction score
Some of the food that I have eaten whilst on holiday, i'm suprised i'm here writing this message.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my bad travel experiences have been caused by Ryannair. I'm confident everyone associated with the airline will burn in hell for eternity.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryanair sucks a fat nut, but they flew me roundtrip to Spain for less than a train ticket to Liverpool.

When a 3 hour flight costs you less than 25 Pounds you cant really complain.

Only bad experiences I can think of are food poisoning in Mumbai and getting mugged in Amsterdam (not a proper mugging, but I was so fucked up I gave him like 3 guilders to go away).

I love and hate India. Its a cesspool of shittiness, filth, annoying people, **** not working, etc, etc, etc... But if you have time and the right temperment it can be an amazing place.

K

ajri02

Reaction score
This really a shame with Vietnamese because Hanoi is the Vietnam's capital.
But I think you would be better if traveling in the South of Vietnam: from Hue to Hochiminh, people are more friendly, polite...
I have a good time in Phanthiet maybe one of the best beach and the people is very warm. Mui Nee is beautiful and INEXPENSIVE
And I think you need check info anyplaces in vietnam before go to.
Why don't you search on
lonelyplanet vietnam ,
vietnam beaches and travel guide ,
http://www.travelpod.com...and Google certainly

Cavalier

Reaction score
Worst was trying to get from Cleveland to Chicago last Christmas.

My plane was delayed all day in Cleveland, ended up spending 5+ hours inside the plane before we were able to take off. Get to Chicago, Blue Line breaks on the way to my aunts house. Christmas Eve as I try to head to the country, the Amtrack broke down a mile from my grandparent's town and they literally put it in reverse at 5mph all the way back to Chicago ... didn't get back till 3AM, was supposed to be there for dinner X-Mas eve. Ended up getting on a train at 8AM the next morning and was able to get there fine. Flying back to Cleveland took 3, yes 3 days after massive delays at O'Hare. Ugh

The train was one of the nuttiest experiences in my life, what was supposed to be a 2.5 hour ride turned in to 14+ hours and people got absolutely nutty. Reminded me of lord of the fly

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Accidentally left the bathroom door open in first class once while I took a leak. The lav was very cramped and I was trying to bend my body so my head wouldn't rub the fuselage and I wouldn't piss all over the floor. I didn't feel like I could get close enough to the toilet.

After I finished I noticed the door had swung open. I closed it, washed my hands, and when I exited the couple in the opposite front row were laughing hysterically - they could see "everything" in the lav mirror!

nuocmy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajri02
This really a shame with Vietnamese because Hanoi is the Vietnam's capital.
But I think you would be better if traveling in the South of Vietnam: from Hue to Hochiminh, people are more friendly, polite...
I have a good time in Phanthiet maybe one of the best beach and the people is very warm. Mui Nee is beautiful and INEXPENSIVE
And I think you need check info anyplaces in vietnam before go to.
Why don't you search on
lonelyplanet vietnam ,
vietnam beaches and travel guide ,
http://www.travelpod.com...and Google certainly

Thank ajiri! But I won't come back

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Worst was trying to get from Cleveland to Chicago last Christmas.

My plane was delayed all day in Cleveland, ended up spending 5+ hours inside the plane before we were able to take off. Get to Chicago, Blue Line breaks on the way to my aunts house. Christmas Eve as I try to head to the country, the Amtrack broke down a mile from my grandparent's town and they literally put it in reverse at 5mph all the way back to Chicago ... didn't get back till 3AM, was supposed to be there for dinner X-Mas eve. Ended up getting on a train at 8AM the next morning and was able to get there fine. Flying back to Cleveland took 3, yes 3 days after massive delays at O'Hare. Ugh

The train was one of the nuttiest experiences in my life, what was supposed to be a 2.5 hour ride turned in to 14+ hours and people got absolutely nutty. Reminded me of lord of the fly

God that sounds awful.

And metrostyles your description of those indians trying to rip you off certainly does ring a bell with me. People here in Holland are always full of praise for Istanbul, but I really dislike it when people approach you on the street every 5 meters it just drives you nuts after a while. you do get used to it though, but its still stressfull. What I also don't get is unashamed staring and eyecontact from very very close and a lot of touching when travelling in public transport. Especially when I observed 40 or 50 year old men doing or trying to do this to my 19 year old sister who was with me on that trip.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
long chicago story.

plane left jfk 3 hrs late going, arrives in chicago 4 hrs late. passengers in distress trump kunk, so hilton is overbooked. they promise to accommodate me. bring me to hourly motel by cabrini green. only tv playing has closed circuit of raging bull on loop, all night. hookers of ill repute everywhere. sleep in 6 layers of clothes in may to stave off bedbugs i fear are prevalent. complimentary breakfast is donut and can of oj. arrive at meeting which i flew out for and which has been cancelled cause client broke up with his boyfriend and is too distraught.

i go to o'hare. 17 hours delayed in airport. i smoke so i go through security about 8 times. have argument with scottie pippen outside airport over my smoking and blowing it in his face. ask him if he's having one of his famous migraines?

anyway. get on 3pm flight at 11am next day and sit on runway parked for 4 hours. then finaly, home

auto_pilot

Reaction score
Return flight from Florence...We have an early flight at 7am...We get there at 5 am, and the place is empty. We are waiting patiently in the airport, and so are a few other tourists. I keep waiting for the airline people to show up and get the air port "open." In the meantime, they keep announcing message in Italian. Funny thing is, we don't speak Italian. Mind you we checked on line and it said our flight was ok. Welll...6:45 rolls around and still no activity. Finally at 7am the Air France flight counter opens up and we get in line. I can tell by the people in front of us that they look frantic, and lots of terse broken Italian is spoken. I finally start to get worried.

Well around 7:30 I finally get to the counter...Come to find out that run way is being repaved and that all flights have been cancelled that day. WOW! No mention of this from our travel agent, or Air France. The airport has agreed to bus people to PISA to catch an Air France flight out to get us back to De Gaule. Needless to say we miss our connecting flight in De Gaule, and they offer us a night in Paris. By this time I'm pissed, so I tell them I want to be in US soil and I've had enough of my time in Europe. They get us on an Air France flight home and give us vouchers for our trouble.

Well we get to the Air France lounge area and we decide not to eat because we figure we'd eat in the plane. Our flight out was delayed 3 hours due to a strike by the janitorial service for the planes. We finally get on the plane and are glad to get out of Europe. But we didn't use our vouchers as we figure we will eat on the plane. As it turns out the food service providers, in support of their janitoral bretheren, decide to strike too so there is no food service. WoW! Ok we are just beside ourselves as we have to spend 14 hours on a plane with no food.

To their credit, Air France rustled up some 1st class picinic lunch for our meals, and served us Champagne throughout the whole flight to prevent a riot on the plane...ha ha. And they did get us a connecting flight from DC to SFO with United on their dime. But really we spent about 24 hours flying and waiting for delayed planes.

What a nightmare...

Post Op Edit: We love Paris and Italy to this day...despite our travel nightmares.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
boy, I have some stories. when I get a chance I'll put in some.

judges76

Reaction score
Flew to Kiev & decided to pack into 1 suitcase. I had everything in there. They lost my luggage & never found it. It's a very helpless feeling being in a foreign country with just the clothes on your back & a small carry-on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads